IGNORED

I hate it when people do this.

PacManPlus

I see this as no different from people buying Star Wars figures from Target for $9.99 and reselling them for $20 on ebay.

Except your Target may not have the one you want, you may not want to bother with hunting to find it, you may not have a Target convenient to where you are, etc.

For these, they are readily available online, for vastly less money. And directly from a reputable source, not some eBay reseller.

It is different.

Edited by Brian R.

No, it's not. That's what put US economy into it's stranglehold. Falsely inflated markets due to unscrupulous sales weasels. Allowing or encouraging people to blow normal commerce markets out of porportion "because they can" is the reason we have 8% unemployment and gasoline at nearly $4.00 a gallon.

Just don't buy the stuff if you feel it's overpriced. Eventually it will come down, or a competitor will offer similar/same goods for better prices.

• Like 1

That's obviously BS. Did you give him a link to the store?http://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1012I really despise dishonest sellers...Al

He shouldnt give him a link to atariage.

we dont need his kind of filth in these here parts.

If he sends him a link, it should be a Link straight to Hell......LoL

No, they just file to cancel the transaction at the end. The buyer agrees, fees are returned, positive feedback is left. Ebay does not care.

Actually, I swear I read something recently that eBay are looking to still charge sellers for cancelling an auction where there are already bids, for probably just this reason. Am I imagining it, or is that actually coming in?

Actually, I swear I read something recently that eBay are looking to still charge sellers for cancelling an auction where there are already bids, for probably just this reason. Am I imagining it, or is that actually coming in?

Whichever side of the auction I am on, is the one that gets screwed. :)

Lately, since it seems eBay really doesn't care, I get bidders who win the auction and then decide that's when they want to ask questions and negotiate a new price, and then just disappear. WTH...

Another alternative is to file non-paying bidder. Fees are returned, fake buyer and seller are happy. I doubt they do anything about it, although you can "filter" your auctions not to see non-paying bidders (some large amount, though- you can't filter anyone with less than 4 or something).

It's really crappy as a seller anymore. Even if you do succesfully get paid and they are happy, eBay and Paypal take 13-14% of the sale (*and* shipping). They have no right to take a percentage of shipping costs.

Edited by R.Cade

One of the sneakiest tricks I've seen is a auction with a low postage cost. If the auction does badly then the seller says they made a mistake with the postage and hikes it up by a heap. To cover their arse they offer a refund (as they would then try again) ,

I had this done once and only since the item was still below what I'd pay, I reluctantly paid this but others I've declined and got my money back.

Tricky to report as your offered both options with one to opt out but not get a good deal.

So I see that jerk still has those auctions up. And they haven't stepped up to answer for themselves here.

Al - I really think you need to get a couple copies of each game listed, so when someone searches for completed auctions they can hopefully figure out they can get these for far less.

Too bad prospective bidders and buyers can't communicate directly. We could warn them and redirect them. Back when ebay was new you could.

Yeah, those days were nice. Little by little eBay started adding restrictions. You can't even see the bidders and winners now. Their message system scans your messages to see if you try to include an email address or talk about paying for items outside of eBay. It's ridiculous.

..Al

• Like 1

LOL, I just noticed how they conveniently cropped out "AtariAge" on the cartridge and manual for the Scramble and Moon Cresta auctions.

..Al

Yup, good catch. Part of the deviousness.

I'm sure we all often see things that we wish we could do something about. In this case, Al, you have that power!

But that lowlife off at the knees.

Edited by Brian R.

Just don't buy the stuff if you feel it's overpriced. Eventually it will come down, or a competitor will offer similar/same goods for better prices.

Well sure, that's the obvious answer. But the presence of these overpriced sales can drive up the price of the whole market if and when they do make actual sales. Not everyone who sells these games is an atari fan like most of us. Some of them just resell whatever items they can get their hands on that are selling for the most money. In fact - that's what most ebay sellers do.

Yeah, those days were nice. Little by little eBay started adding restrictions. You can't even see the bidders and winners now. Their message system scans your messages to see if you try to include an email address or talk about paying for items outside of eBay. It's ridiculous.

..Al

Their automated system looks at what you type and has about 270 (from what I read) key words and pairs to determine if you're trying to start a transaction outside of ebay.

I had a minor discrepancy with an incompetent seller that didn't know how to use paypal and needed to send my email and address to the buyer via ebay. I figured communication with the seller would be easier than mediating through paypal and ebay. I broke it up into like 10 emails. 1 word per mail. And another time I used a secret cipher code. Replace this with this. All Z's = "." and all X's = @. A "qwaszxer" = carriage return and "zxcvb" = a <space>. You can also substitute words and provide the recipient with a key.

So in code my address would read MyzxzcvbfirstzxcvbandzxcvblastzxcvbnameqwaszxerMyzxcvbstreetzxcvbnameqwaszxerCityzxcvbstatezxcvbzipqwaszxer

And my email address would be KeatahXyahooZkahm and you need to fix up kahm to proper internet email standards.

There are simpler ways of obfuscating information so it gets through the filters. You get the idea!

One time I *did* conduct a trade outside of ebay and got burned. So I don't recommend not following their guidelines unless you need to get pertinent information through to a seller for a legitimate transaction. This recent "incident" where I used all the secret code shit worked out alright. I discovered the user hadn't done fleabay activities for a long time and needed some educating.

Edited by Keatah

Well sure, that's the obvious answer. But the presence of these overpriced sales can drive up the price of the whole market if and when they do make actual sales. Not everyone who sells these games is an atari fan like most of us. Some of them just resell whatever items they can get their hands on that are selling for the most money. In fact - that's what most ebay sellers do.

A couple years ago, there was a frenzy for original TRON dvds in the white keep case. I heard about it from a buddy who heard it on the radio. I flipped through those and made a nice profit. All of a sudden for no sensible reason they shot up to like $100+. I scanned through all the listings with great dispatch and bought a lot of already-in-progress-listings or lingering buy-it-nows that hadn't been cycled or canceled for under $25.00 and then resold them at the $100+. A few months later the price was back to normal.

It's the same thing with Apple II material. In the broader perspective Apple II material is going up in price, disproportionate to other classic computing hardware. It's high on feebay now because it's Apple. A little before the TRON "craze" I observed the same thing with Disk II controller cards. These should be right-priced at $20.00 or less. Instead you could not find any under $50.00. I think that price spike has long passed and they eventually settled in around $30.00.

I have no qualms or regrets. If you want to be stupid enough and pay high prices for frenzy-induced buying, please, be my guest! I'll set up an auction just for you. Besides, the lesson I teach you by ripping you off may help you later when you're wary in dealings for purchasing big-ticket items like exotic cars and airplanes.

Regarding enthusiasts vs. "just-sellers", shit, man, you can spot them a mile away. The enthusiasts looking to make a one-off trade/sale tend to have lower feedback counts and their listings ineffably look different, not so many rules to follow, not cookie-cutter, real photos, and a description of the actual item that highlights something specific.

The churners and speculators have high feedback counts, provide little description, use stock photos, and have generic listings that all look gussied up and the same. Canned like spam.