IGNORED

Super Mario 3D World reviews

xg4bx

Just wait till you get a little further on, the levels do get more difficult.

Yeah, I'm figuring this out now.. At Bowser's World (the real one), and it's definitely picking up in difficulty. I lost 20-something lives and got my first game over on the "Grumpy Blocks" (or whatever it's called) stage.

I'm just about to the final secret set of levels (Champion row or whatever it's called). I just need to get a few more golden flag poles.

Wait.. what? A secret world is opened based on how high you get on the flag poles? Sheesh.. And I thought having to replay a lot of stages to get the stars and stamps was bad. I guess I am going to be playing this game until the day I die! :lol:

Wait.. what? A secret world is opened based on how high you get on the flag poles? Sheesh.. And I thought having to replay a lot of stages to get the stars and stamps was bad. I guess I am going to be playing this game until the day I die! :lol:

Yeah to get to the final three levels you need to get to the top of every flag pole. It's actually not that hard, you just need the cat suit.

Oh is that the lava level with the rotating blocks that you have to stay on? I absolutely despised that level because I suck at mechanics like that.

Yeah, I'm figuring this out now.. At Bowser's World (the real one), and it's definitely picking up in difficulty. I lost 20-something lives and got my first game over on the "Grumpy Blocks" (or whatever it's called) stage.

Oh is that the lava level with the rotating blocks that you have to stay on? I absolutely despised that level because I suck at mechanics like that.

Yep, that's the one, and same here apparently. I nearly sleepwalked through the rest of the game prior, but that level in particular was a nightmare to get through.

Yep, that's the one, and same here apparently. I nearly sleepwalked through the rest of the game prior, but that level in particular was a nightmare to get through.

That one was tough, but I had more trouble with the second Beat Block level where they only stay solid for 1 beat. That was brutal.

What happens when you get game over? Do you have to start over at the beginning of the game?

What happens when you get game over? Do you have to start over at the beginning of the game?

Not sure. I did the old infinite 1UP Trick in level 1-2 so I still have about 750 lives at this point (I think it maxes out at 1200). Lives are pointless in this day and age and are only there because people expect them. Just look up how to do the trick and you'll never have to worry about it again.

Because I've been playing Super Mario 3D World heavily, I went out and purchased Super Mario 3D Land on the 3DS as well. I started playing it last night, and.. yeah, it's just not the same, haha. It's hard to go back after playing the Wii U version. It just doesn't have the magic of its big brother. Inferior visuals (as expected), a lower framerate, no map screen to freely run around, wonky controls with that analog nub (you can't use the d-pad as far as I am aware--I need to check the options for that), short worlds overall, and the level design doesn't seem to be nearly as creative or enjoyable. Plus, there's no Cat Suit, which was a ton of fun in the Wii U version.

No, I believe it kicks you back to the world map screen. It would be asinine for it to send you back to the beginning of the game, considering it saves your progress after every level. :)

Got this game on launch day, and instantly fell in love as soon as I started playing it. By the time I beat the final boss(es), the final flagpole appearing, and the credits beginning to roll (with that incredible music)... I came out of the experience completely shaken up... but in a good/happy way. It was the first time in years I had a feeling quite like it, let alone from a video game.

The folks at Nintendo EAD know what their doing almost too well. As a game developer myself, it leaves me stunned and without words. Every time I got stuck on a level, I didn't cry out in anger like so many games have done, but rather I was like "Oh no! No! That did NOT just happen!" in a laughing/joking manner with each moment I lost a life... and I kept going. Every level was different enough to where I kept wanting to see what would come next. The artwork is gorgeous and full of vibrance and color, the soundtrack fits Mario so well, and the gameplay and level design are simply perfect. Aside from a couple of times I made bad jumps due to bad depth perception (I kinda wish I could play this game in 3D, as that helped a lot in 3D Land), I have no complaints about anything.

10/10. Would play again.

Edited by Animan
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought this and pikman 3 for 131.00 taxes in at wallmart today for christmas presents for kids. I read cant save game past world 4??? I hope not or thats as far as it will get.. cause I cant sit thru more than 2 worlds without getting sick of a game. Thats the way the last 3 marios have been.. nsmw ds, nsmwii, nsmw u finished u mario 2dhd and thought yawn.. mostly easy but save points made it frustrating.. always had to return to play half a world over after I did select save and quit..so that part was annoying. After world 8 nothing else to offer the timed events are boring.. bronze silver gold and times??? Who cares! The last time I looked at scores I was playing an Atari game..

Been playing off and on (too much going on with Christmas activities plus other games when I get a chance) but have decided one thing right off: I HATE SCROLLING LEVELS!!!

I had fits trying to beat a previous scrolling level, Chain Link Charge, and now I'm on the Boss level of World 3 and its giving me fits once more. GRRRRRRR.....

• Like 1

Is this game hard I take it? I have a daughter who really cant get into the Mario games because they are too hard (New Super Mario Bros. Wii)

Not sure if I should get this today or not so she can play on christmas break. If its hard then I'll skip it for a bit and just get it for myself. :P

Edited by cimerians

^^LOL, you should have your daughter play Super Mario Brothers 3; it's tougher than most all the NSMB series. The older Wii version is easier than NSMB-U but the U version is immensely more enjoyable. If she's struggling with 3D platformers, I learned the ropes on Mario 64. If you don't have an N64 you can get download Mario 64 off Virtual Console in Wii mode, but you will need the old style Classic Controller that connects to the Wiimote since the Wii-U pro controller won't work in Wii mode. It's still a great entry level Mario game for learning 3D controls.

I haven't played Super Mario 3D World yet because my mom is putting it under the tree for me. I've specifically not watched any let's play vedeos on youtube (except official trailers) because I want to be surprized the first time I play it. Thanks for not spoiling it! ; )