IGNORED

Just got my 1st 7800, now I have questions

DesertJets

So after much consideration and over thinking I finally pulled the trigger and picked up a 7800. I think I did fairly well in the deal as well, which makes me even happier. What I got was a complete 7800, with AC adapter, an A/V cable (which was bad, but not a big deal as I have better quality cables already), 2 Prolines, and 9 carts (2x PP2, Dig Dug, Xevious, Galaga, Asteroids, Food Fight, Ms. Pac-Man and Joust). Unfortunately looks like one of the PP2s and Food Fight may be dead. Of what I have Ms. Pac-Man and Galaga are the standouts.

My big question is what is the general going price for the more common/popular titles for the 7800? I generally prefer to buy in lots if I can, but I've found that 7800 games by themselves are a little scare lately on eBay. I have a fairly good idea as to how much to pay for 2600 stuff and A8 stuff -- but no clue on the 7800.

What are the must have titles for the 7800 -- homebrews included which is a large part of why I decided to get the 7800.

Is getting an A/V done really important. As far as I can tell the picture quality seems pretty good -- better than my XEGS using RF out. If I were to go that route are there preferred providers of that service -- not really confident I could do it myself, I know which end of the soldering iron to use, but after that not so much.

My overall impression after cleaning it up, and playing with it a bit last night is that the 7800 is a fairly nice machine. It feels higher quality than my 2600 Jr and the XEGS. Plus I think it is a good looks really good and still looks modern. I remember a neighbor of mine had a 7800 as a kid (which was supplanted by an NES less than a year later) and I don't remember the controllers being so bad. But after an hour or so my hand was hurting. The controllers I have feel tired, the stick is sloppy and the buttons feel worn and less than responsive. The few CX-40s I have, while 25+ years old don't feel anywhere near as bad. I think before I get anything else I am going to pick up a pair of NOS controllers off of eBay.

Is getting an A/V done really important. As far as I can tell the picture quality seems pretty good

Totally up to you..

Composite is better than RF, and s-video is better than composite...

And a lot of people mod for composite (and/or s-video) because the devices they plug their console into is easier to use composite or s-video..

But, if you are OK with RF and it's easy to do, then that's all that really matters...

I was happy with RF when my 7800 was downstairs on the TV.

When I moved it upstairs, I had to change it. I went with composite, which was pretty easy (for me..).

I prefer composite and I'm glad I did it..

But I wasn't unhappy with RF. Just happier now.. ;-)

Enjoy!

desiv

Totally up to you..

Composite is better than RF, and s-video is better than composite...

And a lot of people mod for composite (and/or s-video) because the devices they plug their console into is easier to use composite or s-video..

But, if you are OK with RF and it's easy to do, then that's all that really matters...

I was happy with RF when my 7800 was downstairs on the TV.

When I moved it upstairs, I had to change it. I went with composite, which was pretty easy (for me..).

I prefer composite and I'm glad I did it..

But I wasn't unhappy with RF. Just happier now.. ;-)

Enjoy!

desiv

It may be something I'll need to do later on. Right now our main TV is still a CRT. I swear that was the best $150 I ever spent in 2003 -- Panasonic 20" stereo TV.

Anything from Bob DeCrescenzo.

aka PacManPlus?

My big question is what is the general going price for the more common/popular titles for the 7800? I generally prefer to buy in lots if I can, but I've found that 7800 games by themselves are a little scare lately on eBay. I have a fairly good idea as to how much to pay for 2600 stuff and A8 stuff -- but no clue on the 7800.

The most common titles for around a couple of bucks, like rmaerz said. The rarities can go for a little more, but there is nothing incredibly expensive for the system. Even the prizes like Commando and Ikari Warriors can be had for double-digits.

What are the must have titles for the 7800 -- homebrews included which is a large part of why I decided to get the 7800.

Among original releases, you'll definitely want to find a working cartridge of Food Fight. That is easily the best of the original bunch. Ballblazer is another essential in my opinion, thanks to excellent 3-D-esque graphics and a catchy soundtrack.

Centipede and Asteroids have some neat game variations not available elsewhere, including 2-player simultaneous play. Actually you could have multiple players at once on the Atari home computer version of Asteroids, but the 7800 version looks and plays much nicer.

Xevious is pretty good on the 7800. You may find the NES version better, but the 7800 version offers different levels of difficulty not found elsewhere.

Pretty much the rest of the library ranges from "don't bother" to "good, but better elsewhere." Some people stand by the 7800 versions of Commando, Ikari Warriors and Xenophobe, but if you have an NES those two games are better and cheaper there. The Nintendo games, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Junior and Mario Bros., are rather disappointing on the 7800. They're not terrible, but they could have been a lot better. Same goes for Activision's contributions, Double Dragon, Kung Fu Master and Rampage. Again, not bad, but better elsewhere.

As for homebrews, like the Usotsuki said, anything by Robert "PacManPlus" DeCrescenzo. Rip-Off, Frenzy, Moon Cresta, Scramble, and his Pac-Man and Space Invaders collection cartridges really show what the 7800 is capable of, much better than Atari's original library. There are also Beef Drop and B*nq, good homebrew versions of Burgertime and Q*Bert. All of these are available in the AtariAge store.

Is getting an A/V done really important. As far as I can tell the picture quality seems pretty good -- better than my XEGS using RF out. If I were to go that route are there preferred providers of that service -- not really confident I could do it myself, I know which end of the soldering iron to use, but after that not so much.

Atari systems tend to have weak RF signals, so even if your TV handles a Nintendo or Sega system all right, Atari systems may have a worse picture. Other than that, it's up to you. Composite or S-video will always look better than RF, but some people don't think the difference is worth it on older systems.

I also second the recommendation of getting modded controllers, or finding the European NES-like joypads. The original stock 7800 controllers are horrible!

Have fun!

For commons (cart only) $0.99-$5 a piece is a fair range.

A/V mod is important if your only option is a modern display (LCD/LED/Plasma) and it doesn't handle the signal well. In your case, your display seems to handle the video signal to your satisfaction so right now you should be fine. Results will vary and on a modern display at best some colors will range from slightly to significantly different. Atari systems (2600/5200/7800) are best viewed on a CRT (A/V mod or not).

When/if the time comes for an A/V mod and you cannot do the servicing yourself, this comes highly recommended: http://electronicsentimentalities.com/InstallationServices.html

Regardless, color differences aside gameplay is what counts the most and you're off to a good start. Definitely head to the AtariAge store and pick up the homebrew treasures waiting there. If Ms. Pac-Man is a standout for you, Pac-Man Collection will make it seem like 2600 Pac-Man.

The controllers aren't the greatest; however, the link AtariBrian provided for the 7800 controller mod service also comes highly recommended. Own two of the modified controllers and it makes a night and day difference. Two-button action may not benefit much, but the improved joystick alone is a much better experience.

The most common titles for around a couple of bucks, like rmaerz said. The rarities can go for a little more, but there is nothing incredibly expensive for the system. Even the prizes like Commando and Ikari Warriors can be had for double-digits.

Among original releases, you'll definitely want to find a working cartridge of Food Fight. That is easily the best of the original bunch. Ballblazer is another essential in my opinion, thanks to excellent 3-D-esque graphics and a catchy soundtrack.

Centipede and Asteroids have some neat game variations not available elsewhere, including 2-player simultaneous play. Actually you could have multiple players at once on the Atari home computer version of Asteroids, but the 7800 version looks and plays much nicer.

Xevious is pretty good on the 7800. You may find the NES version better, but the 7800 version offers different levels of difficulty not found elsewhere.

Pretty much the rest of the library ranges from "don't bother" to "good, but better elsewhere." Some people stand by the 7800 versions of Commando, Ikari Warriors and Xenophobe, but if you have an NES those two games are better and cheaper there. The Nintendo games, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Junior and Mario Bros., are rather disappointing on the 7800. They're not terrible, but they could have been a lot better. Same goes for Activision's contributions, Double Dragon, Kung Fu Master and Rampage. Again, not bad, but better elsewhere.

As for homebrews, like the Usotsuki said, anything by Robert "PacManPlus" DeCrescenzo. Rip-Off, Frenzy, Moon Cresta, Scramble, and his Pac-Man and Space Invaders collection cartridges really show what the 7800 is capable of, much better than Atari's original library. There are also Beef Drop and B*nq, good homebrew versions of Burgertime and Q*Bert. All of these are available in the AtariAge store.

Have fun!

I have come to the same basic conclusion that much of the 7800 library is kinda meh. It is really the homebrews, and XM when it is publicly available that I am after.

I have Food Fight on the XEGS and I am kinda cold on it. It is one of those games I got because of all the praise it gets and while it looks and plays well -- just ends up not being my cup of tea. Though I suspect if I find a decent lot or two, a copy of Food Fight will be there.

I have Ballblazer for the XEGS as well, I just like turning it on to listen to the music -- Though I do want it for the 7800 too.

Mario Bros. is one of the two games I remember playing on my friends 7800 back in the day (PP2 was the other). If I really get the urge to play it I believe it is on Super Mario Advance 3, which is laying around somewhere with the other half's DS.

Same thing with DK and DKJr -- have both on the A8 and both are really good versions. While my comparison says the 7800 version is graphically a little better this is one where the sound kinda kills it.

I think I'll just order the NOS prolines today so I can get a little more enjoyment out of the 7800 for the long holiday weekend next week.

Keep in mind Food Fight and Ballblazer are much better on the 7800 than on the Atari 8bits. Ballblazer has a POKEY sound chip in each cartridge, so the music is the same on the 7800 as on the 8bits. Both games benefit from the 7800's more powerful graphics capabilities, Food Fight especially so. I love the game, but the 8bit version is not a favorite.

• Like 1