IGNORED

XM - any chance it will be in our hands by Christmas?

thursday83

I don't think I was that wrong in making a post, but since these flames keep coming from snarky heads, I'll know in the future that I should keep my mouth shut and not post or contribute any thoughts in this forum anymore. I'll still PM programmers and support, and keep my questions to myself. I am very sorry to upset anyone on this forum, I'm a big fan of AA.

You didn't do anything wrong - posting is what these forums are for.

• Like 3

Well, one has to remember that anger from some the users is a fallout when Fernando trolled Curt about the XM being vaporware or some such. I think it was reveled later, Curt was going some serious health problems at that time. I can't really blame them for not wanting Curt to get too much whining and grief.

Keep in mind that the XM is a bit of an open wound for a lot of people, either way, and is a major point of contention. Though Curt has had serious issues forgiving a large chunk of the delays, we've gone months at a time with sporadic 'almost there' comments and a general feeling of unfulfilled promises. When someone innocently asks 'Yo, what's up?', there are more than a few people with emotional investment in the XM that will attempt to rally to Curt's defense rather than just answer the question these days. Of course, that reaction just alienates people even more, etc...

• Like 4

Fernado was a class A dipshit.

A simple question deserves a simple answer? No need for trolling, bitchin, whining needed.

t83 ask wth you want.

Curt obviously does not hang out of these forums 24/7 so possibly emailing him would get better results? But then again it would not let us all know about the status so making extra threads brings extra attention to a dwindling updated project which I believe was suppose to have weekly or monthly updates promised?

Curt's health issues do merit a substantial amount of leeway and is way more important than my financial contribution towards this endeavor. That being said its just nice to know from Curt than the choir and I believe that is the concensus.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Not much to really report, things are moving along well, Perry want to do some synth test code for the Yamaha chip and things are being checked on the final rev board designs. I want to make another run shortly but each time costs a lot so with all of the test run boards, fixes, changes, updates and then going back - its costing a lot to do this, so going to do another test board set run is being held off for really try to shake out any other changes and such, plus the firmware updates still need to be addressed, so there is much to do but I just wanted to check in and say hi.

Also, I've said this again, there is nothing wrong with people asking about how things are coming along with the XM, I'm not the greatest when it comes to posting updates, but also there is not much to update that would be a major interest to everyone, its just very boring design changes now to iron out compatibility and functionality issues. So please, cut people a brake if all they want to do is ask.

Yes, we all know Fernando had an agenda and he was spreading nothing but lies and such at me and numerous others, sometimes disturbed trouble makers rear their ugly heads in places and all they do is take pleasure in trying to hurt others.

Everyone have a very Happy Thanksgiving.

Curt

• Like 17

Hey guys,

I look in this thread again and I see mention of trolling and flaming.

It was NOT my intention to flame anyone, that is why I said asking is perfectly fine. The reaction honestly surprises me.

What I tried to say is that Atari Age is a big and lively forum, but it suffers from being a bit of a convoluted mess. New threads for existing topics are usually a taboo in forums. Moderators leave us be most of the time, so it's our own responsibility to keep the forum somewhat tidy. It just makes browsing the board much harder to have a gazillion threads on the same matter. So many discussions have been had multiple times, and this thread here for example was created with two XM-threads already being on the first page of the 7800 section.

That is unnecessary imo. I'm not talking threads that haven't had posts in 2 years, I am talking threads that were active in November. The question about the release date has been asked in those, and the only result from asking in a new thread is that in the future people interested in the XM will have to dig through one more thread in order to get the information they want. I talk from experience, as I have had the pleasure to do just that when I got interested in the XM. That's not cool, and there are actually people who are not active on AA because they tell me they are completely lost here.

So as I said, it is perfectly fine to inquire about a product you paid years ago, but at the same time it doesn't need to be asked in a new thread. I would guess Curt follows the other threads (at least he should), and it would be nice to have access to all info without crawling through a maze of similar topics.

If this is flaming or trolling, well, then I am a troll.

Edited by 108 Stars

You are not trolling nor flaming to make a simple request as to how things are going, and you making such a request are more than welcome to, thanks.

Curt

Hey guys,
I look in this thread again and I see mention of trolling and flaming.

It was NOT my intention to flame anyone, that is why I said asking is perfectly fine. The reaction honestly surprises me.

What I tried to say is that Atari Age is a big and lively forum, but it suffers from being a bit of a convoluted mess. New threads for existing topics are usually a taboo in forums. Moderators leave us be most of the time, so it's our own responsibility to keep the forum somewhat tidy. It just makes browsing the board much harder to have a gazillion threads on the same matter. So many discussions have been had multiple times, and this thread here for example was created with two XM-threads already being on the first page of the 7800 section.

That is unnecessary imo. I'm not talking threads that haven't had posts in 2 years, I am talking threads that were active in November. The question about the release date has been asked in those, and the only result from asking in a new thread is that in the future people interested in the XM will have to dig through one more thread in order to get the information they want. I talk from experience, as I have had the pleasure to do just that when I got interested in the XM. That's not cool, and there are actually people who are not active on AA because they tell me they are completely lost here.

So as I said, it is perfectly fine to inquire about a product you paid years ago, but at the same time it doesn't need to be asked in a new thread. I would guess Curt follows the other threads (at least he should), and it would be nice to have access to all info without crawling through a maze of similar topics.

If this is flaming or trolling, well, then I am a troll.

• Like 1

You are not trolling nor flaming to make a simple request as to how things are going, and you making such a request are more than welcome to, thanks.

Curt

Thanks for understanding. :)

This hardware requires experienced developers to make games for. There are far too few of them to go around. More time = more completed games to play. I have no problem with waiting :)

I had the pleasure to see GroovyBee's XM games on Jagfest, and I can tell you it's worth the wait. It's like a whole different experience from the stock 7800. Such nice animations, screens with 256 colors, gameplay with more than 80 colors at some points... I never expected it to be THAT great.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

It's pretty discouraging seeing people get this upset by fanatics and flamers on here. Not exactly a nice way to welcome newer members to the community. But I guess that's par for the course for video gamer forums.

LOL... The very first day I was a member on here, I was attacked by a troll because my screen name is 7800 and my avatar is of a 2600 game. BBWWAAAAHHHH!! ha ha. Plus my first post was in a 5200 complaint thread, so... I guess it's to be expected.

But anyway... I'm glad to see new threads on this topic pop up. I am also out of the loop and thought the XM was pretty close to being released. Last time I spoke to Curt, I was left with the impression that some more testing needed to be done and the first batch of pre-orders were going out to who kickstarted the project... then they would go up for sale after that. But this was back in July so... I don't know what happened. Honestly, I'm just losing interest in this altogether. My 7800 isn't even hooked up anymore... I keep myself busy with Everdrive for PCE, Mega Drive, and Famicom lately. Also waiting for my copy of Donkey Kong XM which was paid for months ago... :) not that I'm complaining though.

I'm not really worried about the XM... I'm sure many fans including myself have already spoken to Curt, if not just to remind him that we still want one and not to forget us. :) ... The way I see it. I'll get one, when I get one... if it takes another year then so be it. In the end, we will all have one if we want one.

Edited by 7800

• 2 weeks later...

This hardware requires experienced developers to make games for. There are far too few of them to go around.

Which is precisely why the XM is a detriment to the 7800 homebrew scene, because it deliberately fractures the hardware base. Every moment of developer time spent on the XM is a moment subtracted from developing for the stock console. It's diabolical. I don't understand why any developers even waste their time on any games that can only be experienced by such an infinitesimally small audience.

Thanks for understanding. :)

I had the pleasure to see GroovyBee's XM games on Jagfest, and I can tell you it's worth the wait. It's like a whole different experience from the stock 7800. Such nice animations, screens with 256 colors, gameplay with more than 80 colors at some points... I never expected it to be THAT great.

You mean, you saw it on "ejagfest". ;)

• Like 1

Which is precisely why the XM is a detriment to the 7800 homebrew scene, because it deliberately fractures the hardware base. Every moment of developer time spent on the XM is a moment subtracted from developing for the stock console. It's diabolical. I don't understand why any developers even waste their time on any games that can only be experienced by such an infinitesimally small audience.

"Diabolical” …? The XM (or time spent "developing" for it) is satanic, so evil, of the devil now...huh?

“…infinitesimally small audience” ...? There are 250 XM units accounted for with the ability to produce more as needed.

What was once perceived as some perhaps having a tad bit of resentment, has been no less stated as having hate in relation to the XM, and now we have the label of "diabolical"; interesting.

It is believed that developers are free to program and present games how they see fit. It's thrilling to see games continued to be developed which do not, and games that do, require the XM. Whatever and however a developer chooses to utilize the hardware available for the Atari 7800 platform, it's fantastic to see the activity, regardless of the developer’s choice.

There are individuals who support any and all endeavors to make the Atari 7800 shine; whether that means adding additional chips to the carts, the XM module, or just a 'standard', not even requiring a bank switching PCB layout utilizing TIA sound - that is ultimately fine with them. Just having a developer chose to release a title to the 7800 platform having all the tools and options available to them is the goal.

There are some individuals who support endeavors for the 7800 as long as it fits their perception of how all the hardware should be presented and/or games (at least the ones they are interested in) has all hardware required inside each individual cart. The primary goal doesn't become making the game shine the best. One of the primary goals is making sure it is all contained inside the cart the way they like it. If it means an 'uglier' game unnecessarily, fine. If it means lacking some features, fine again - just keep it inside each individual cartridge.

Where the true community "division/fracture" derives is not from a game requiring or individuals liking an XM; rather the response and attitude from some if such a thing is even mentioned or at least mentioned towards a title they desire to see on the 7800. To support their belligerence towards the XM, or perhaps just out of being misinformed, the XM device starts to receive labels, comparisons, or/and notions are stated which are false.

Clearing up such things includes: The XM does not turn the Atari 7800 into something it is not. It allows a central piece of hardware with a onetime purchase to have components utilized indefinitely; doing what Nintendo and Sega did for their systems mostly on a cart-by-cart basis. It is not a Sega 32X adding new RISC processors and an additional GPU to the system. The XM will not be in 'limited availability'.

The negativity of some towards the XM is not an issue of a game being programmed utilizing any of the hardware features inside an XM - Just as long as those hardware features are inside each cart as needed, rather than in the XM as a central unit.

It is loud and clear that some don't like the idea of the XM and want a game’s features/required hardware done on a cart-by-cart basis for all titles or at least the titles they are interested in seeing and/or purchasing. Others don't care whether the XM is utilized or not, they just want to see the best presentation made for Atari 7800 games according to the developer's desire/goal, and not to exclude options due to the personal preferences of others.

Ultimately, developers will choose how and what means they will utilize to program games, despite any personal preference of others. It's sort of why these 'discussions' are silly, because unless an individual truly believes they will sway a developer's choice regarding how the developer programs or utilizes available hardware for the Atari 7800, any point made for the most part, is moot.

Nevertheless, it is awesome to see all the new hardware and software developments for the 7800. It is certainly an exciting time to be a 7800 fan to say the least. :grin:

• Like 5

I don't understand why any developers even waste their time on any games that can only be experienced by such an infinitesimally small audience.

I think most homebrew developers choose their projects based on personal preferences, rather than potential audience size. They certainly don't think they are wasting their time if they are having fun at it.

I would be curious to see the sales numbers for some of Al's top selling 7800 homebrews. It would be an indication of the potential 7800 market size. I am guessing that the number of XM unit's ordered is not insignificant compared to this potential market.

Edited by tep392
  • Like 6

Interesting - so Software Homebrewers are awesome, but Hardware Homebrewers are fucking assholes?

Quite frankly, speaking as somebody who does Homebrew, it's my time to waste not yours. Whatever I code, I code for me - it's just a nice bonus if somebody else enjoys it.

Perhaps Medieval Mayhem could use an XM required sequel :ponder:

• Like 12