IGNORED

atarimax sio2pc set up

Koji77

All,

I just got my setup from atarimax. I only have one sio cable from my happy 1050 to the Atari 800xl. to use the sio2pc and be able to move fatr files back to floppy, I would need another sio cable correct? as the sio2pc must be powered by the Atari 800 itself? in other words, it must be daisy chained? the sio2pc will not work direct between the pc and the Atari? if so can someone give me a dumbed down set of instructions to make this happen... I do not find the software intuitive... please help a blind guy out!!!

What version did you get -- APE USB for Windows?

Yes, must be daisy-chained (just like you would daisy-chain two 1050's, etc.).

Let's say to start, you will keep the 1050 as D1: and APE can be D2: through D8:. Drag (if Windows) an ATR image to the D2: slot in APE. Boot from your 1050 with you favorite Dos, but must compatible with the image that you just mounted on D2. After booting, check the directory of D2: and APE should respond immediately. After you get this down, then if you wish, you can set your 1050 to be another drive (it can be D1: - D4:) and boot from a Dos ATR image on APE D1:.

That should get you started.

-Larry

if I want to get an atr image back on floppy what exactly would the process be... I assume that the chain you described above is a fact that I must maintain.. in other words... I cannot use my pc to 1050 stand alone.. the Atari cpu must be inline as it is the power for the interface correct?

thanks again!!

if I want to get an atr image back on floppy what exactly would the process be... I assume that the chain you described above is a fact that I must maintain.. in other words... I cannot use my pc to 1050 stand alone.. the Atari cpu must be inline as it is the power for the interface correct?

thanks again!!

If the SIO2PC interface you have is from Atarimax you should be able to use their Prosystem software(instead of APE) to write an ATR image from the PC to the 1050, no Atari computer required.

At least that's my understanding, I have no experience with either APE or Prosystem.

PS:

I have checked the documentation for using the Atarimax serial port SIO2PC and it does say to also have the Atari computer connected/powered up while running the Prosystem software, but I beieve this is just to provide power to the interface. I think connecting a separate +5V supply to SIO pin 10 would also work.

Edited by BillC

I would suggest that you stick with regular SIO2PC use for the moment until you get things going.

How about linking the exact devices you got and the software you intend to use?

Do you know that this setup will work as intended? If you are planning to use APE, it is unlikely that the APE software will work with a USB to serial converter. (I've tried several of these devices with many different versions of APE software, and has not worked for me.)

If you download or have a Dos ATR, you can hook up your SIO2PC setup and boot directly from the ATR (if your converter setup works!). This way you can test now with only one SIO cable.

Let us know...

-Larry

oh.. the system I got is serial. I had to get a serial to USB conversion cable.. my PC does not have a serial connection

I have experience with a USB to serial rs232 adapter. I installed the USB/RS232 driver from CD. I cannot get APE or Aspeqt to work with my USB to serial adapter. My serial APE/PRO adapter is connected

to a PCI slot serial port I installed. My device list in Win 8.1 shows a COM5 port with the USB/RS232 plugged in, but I can't get APE nor Aspeqt to work with it.

Also, you can plug your APE interface directly into the Atari computer, assuming you have a SIO cable from the APE interface. You can also daisy chain your 1050, you'd need to SIO cable from APE interface

to 1050. There are functions that APE software uses to just copy a 1050 floppy to a ATR file or vice versa, you wouldn't need to connect a second SIO cable to the computer to do that, the APE interface

doesn't need power from the Atari, it gets its power from the PC. Plugging the SIO cable directly from APE interface to Atari computer is the easiest way to verify that your APE interface is working (using

APE or Aspeqt software.) What I'm calling APE interface is your SIO2PC adapter.

If you have a PCI slot in your computer, a PCI serial port is pretty cheap.

Edited by russg

I would suggest that you stick with regular SIO2PC use for the moment until you get things going.

How about linking the exact devices you got and the software you intend to use?

Do you know that this setup will work as intended? If you are planning to use APE, it is unlikely that the APE software will work with a USB to serial converter. (I've tried several of these devices with many different versions of APE software, and has not worked for me.)

If you download or have a Dos ATR, you can hook up your SIO2PC setup and boot directly from the ATR (if your converter setup works!). This way you can test now with only one SIO cable.

Let us know...

-Larry

APE version 3.0.6 will work with a VCP port in "software only" mode (no VCP driver) and it does work with my own SIO2PC USB device. Version 3.0.8 and higher do have a proper VCP driver so they will work better.

APE version 3.0.6 will work with a VCP port in "software only" mode (no VCP driver) and it does work with my own SIO2PC USB device. Version 3.0.8 and higher do have a proper VCP driver so they will work better.

Hi Ray-

Yes, I know you have mentioned this before. I've tried everything from about 3.02 or so to 3.11 registered/"trial" for many of them. I've never been successful, and specifically with the FTDI. Don't know why we get differing results, but all he can do is try it. Maybe he'll be fortunate.

-Larry

Hi Ray-

Yes, I know you have mentioned this before. I've tried everything from about 3.02 or so to 3.11 registered/"trial" for many of them. I've never been successful, and specifically with the FTDI. Don't know why we get differing results, but all he can do is try it. Maybe he'll be fortunate.

-Larry

Hi Larry,

Here's a log from APE v3.0.6 using my own SIO2PC/10502PC Dual-USB device in software only mode:

[Serial Driver] No UART found for COM4. This may be a "virtual" serial port.
[Serial Driver] Falling back to software-only SIO2PC mode for COM4.
[Serial Driver] SIO2PC may not work, or may work very poorly with "virtual" RS232 ports.
[Serial Driver] Serial port COM4 opened sucessfully.  APE is ready.
Device: 31     Command: 53     Aux 1: 00     Aux 2: 00     Checksum: 84
Device: 31     Command: 52     Aux 1: 01     Aux 2: 00     Checksum: 84
Device: 31     Command: 52     Aux 1: 02     Aux 2: 00     Checksum: 85
Device: 31     Command: 52     Aux 1: 03     Aux 2: 00     Checksum: 86
Device: 31     Command: 52     Aux 1: 89     Aux 2: 01     Checksum: 0E
Device: 31     Command: 52     Aux 1: 8A     Aux 2: 01     Checksum: 0F
Device: 31     Command: 52     Aux 1: 8B     Aux 2: 01     Checksum: 10
Device: 31     Command: 52     Aux 1: 8C     Aux 2: 01     Checksum: 11
Device: 31     Command: 52     Aux 1: 8D     Aux 2: 01     Checksum: 12
Device: 31     Command: 52     Aux 1: 8E     Aux 2: 01     Checksum: 13
Device: 31     Command: 52     Aux 1: 8F     Aux 2: 01     Checksum: 14
Device: 31     Command: 52     Aux 1: 90     Aux 2: 01     Checksum: 15
Device: 31     Command: 52     Aux 1: 91     Aux 2: 01     Checksum: 16
Device: 31     Command: 52     Aux 1: 92     Aux 2: 01     Checksum: 17
Device: 31     Command: 52     Aux 1: 93     Aux 2: 01     Checksum: 18
Device: 31     Command: 52     Aux 1: 94     Aux 2: 01     Checksum: 19
Device: 31     Command: 52     Aux 1: 95     Aux 2: 01     Checksum: 1A

Despite the "disclaimer" you see in the 3rd and 4th lines of the log, the device works fine in 3 x SIO speed with no errors or hickups.

I am running this on a dual-core intel 1.6Ghz ASUS laptop with Win7 x64

Edited by atari8warez
  • Like 1

[Serial Driver] SIO2PC may not work, or may work very poorly with "virtual" RS232 ports.
Device: 31     Command: 4E     Aux 1: 01     Aux 2: 00     Checksum: 80
Device: 31     Command: 52     Aux 1: 14     Aux 2: 00     Checksum: 97
Device: 31     Command: 52     Aux 1: 15     Aux 2: 00     Checksum: 98
Device: 31     Command: 53     Aux 1: 01     Aux 2: 00     Checksum: 85
Device: 31     Command: 52     Aux 1: CF     Aux 2: 1E     Checksum: 71

Here is my results in tying to get APE to recognize my USB interface SIO2PC (atariwarez). Instead of loading APE usb only I opened the RS232 serial version of the software. And first try it didn't work so I went into the ape configuration for RS232 and set the comport to the same # that I use for Aspeqt COM4. Loaded the drives and booted first try..

I am now a Happy Atarian again.. Mostly used for the print function, still no 32MB sized atr at 512 bps but MyDos works and SpartaDos 256 bps atrs work fine..

Edited by rdea6
  • Like 1

Device: 31     Command: 52     Aux 1: 14     Aux 2: 00     Checksum: 97
Device: 31     Command: 52     Aux 1: 15     Aux 2: 00     Checksum: 98
Device: 31     Command: 53     Aux 1: 01     Aux 2: 00     Checksum: 85
Device: 31     Command: 52     Aux 1: CF     Aux 2: 1E     Checksum: 71

Here is my results in tying to get APE to recognize my USB interface SIO2PC (atariwarez). Instead of loading APE usb only I opened the RS232 serial version of the software. And first try it didn't work so I went into the ape configuration for RS232 and set the comport to the same # that I use for Aspeqt COM4. Loaded the drives and booted first try..

I am now a Happy Atarian again.. Mostly used for the print function, still no 32MB sized atr at 512 bps but MyDos works and SpartaDos 256 bps atrs work fine..

I didn't know there are two different versions of APE, or did you mean you changed the configuration from USB to RS232?

I didn't know there are two different versions of APE, or did you mean you changed the configuration from USB to RS232?

I think he means the shortcut used to launch APE. When using the USB version, you can pass in a command line parameter which disables the serial functionality by using " /USBONLY"

• Like 1

FWIW, there are two "versions." When you install APE (registered), it puts up two shortcut icons. /|\ APE for windows and /|\ APE for windows USB Only. But there is only one APE .exe file in the programs folder, so it probably just uses the same method you describe to determine which version to execute.

-Larry

Just throwing this out there:

The serial version of the adapter requires a true 16550 UART, which is why those serial to USB devices and more modern serial port cards have issues with it. Best luck I have had in the past with this device is with older SIIG cards that had the 16550 on them and were not simulating com ports like the new cards do.

Better bet in my opinion nowadays is to stay way from serial and go USB of course.

Just throwing this out there:

The serial version of the adapter requires a true 16550 UART, which is why those serial to USB devices and more modern serial port cards have issues with it. Best luck I have had in the past with this device is with older SIIG cards that had the 16550 on them and were not simulating com ports like the new cards do.

Better bet in my opinion nowadays is to stay way from serial and go USB of course.

I agree that you should go with a USB interface to start with. But, if you have a serial APE/PRO adapter, there is a PCI serial card with UART. I looked mine up, a Startech.com PCI1S550, with a 16C550 UART.

Here's the web page you can purchase. Might get it cheaper if you shop around.

http://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Serial-Cards-Adapters/1-Port-16550-Serial-PCI-Card~PCI1S550#reviews

It isn't as cheap as I thought, $34 plus ship.

Edited by russg

If you're having trouble with an Atarimax device, it's probably best to disregard the advice of those who are (or rather, wish to be) meaningful competitors to Atarimax. To those, it's "academic" (sic) and of little value, otherwise. I've always received remarkable support from Steve himself, although it's natural to ask here, in anticipation that others have incurred a similar problem. If all of my Atarimax products had not worked perfectly from the beginnign (they did), then I'd as here, as well as the Atarimax forums. Steve has been a great help, for several years now.

• Like 1

What a bunch of crap some people endlessly try to throw around.... Atarimax device is proprietary, hardware and software wise, I am no competitor to anyone let alone Steve, what I sell is a completely different product and it works with an industry standard USB to serial chip. And here all I was trying to show was that Atarimax SIO2PC can and IS working with a VCP and even that was taken as a "competition" to Atarimax by some shady personality whose real intentions are well know to the majority of this community, and I suppose what he really wants is to get his a** kicked once again on these forums....but that's all I will say in this instance.

guys,

the pro system does not see any drives.

the configuration in ape see's it on com3..however it says unable to load r232 driver, usb mode only enabled.

is this a simple case of I must have the usb version or am I missing something...... please help I am "F"ing lost.

thanks in advance!