IGNORED

Scott Adams Adventure Series

cvga

I introduced my 8 year old to these old text adventures and he loves them. We're playing Voodoo Castle. I had a bunch of these games as a kid for the Vic 20 and had the priviledge to meet Mr. Adams in Milwaukee last Spring so I'm looking forward to playing them again. If you're familiar with the series which games are your favorites?

• Like 3

Back in the 1980s, I always felt left-out because these games were never ported to the Coco. (Well, a few of the Infocom titles were, but they required a disk system, which I did not have.)

Alas, now that I have the hardware to run them, I do not have the time to spend playing them. :)

The first two text adventure games I ever played were Adventureland and Voodoo Castle on cartridge for the VIC-20.

I later had the Adventure cartridge and a few Scott Adams Adventures on cassette for the TI-99/4A, but I cannot remember which ones.

In playing them again 31-32 years later, I found that I didn't remember most of the solutions!

I have the adventure module plus the complete set of adventures for the ti99/4a and I don't really like any of them. The two word input is a pain in the backside, I realise they were a product of their time but they pale into oblivion next to the Infocom adventures and the Level 9 adventures piss all over them.

It's been so long I can't remember them very well, only that I loved them as a kid.

I downloaded a Vic20 emulator last week and got it up and running. I need to sit down with one of the Scott Adams games very soon and why I have such fond memories of these games!

• Like 2

CVGA wrote:

> I introduced my 8 year old to these old text adventures and he loves them.

I find that they work even better when the text is spoken aloud with the use of an additional cart, like the VIC-VODER. To see videos of the Scott Adams' games being computer-spoken, go to Youtube.com and put in the search for VIC-VODER.

Truly,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group

http://videocam.net.au/fcug

• Like 2

I played every one I could get for the VIC-20...

SYS 32592 forever etched in my brain.

Played and beat all of them. Even the original "Impossible Mission", before the name had to be changed to "Secret Mission" (I believe only on other platforms).

The Count

Voodoo Castle

Adventureland

Pirate's Cove

Loved them all!

Although, The Count and Pirate's Cove are my two favs from the bunch.

I really enjoyed these games as a kid, primarily on the TI-99/4A. I can vividly recall playing Pirate Adventure for the first time. To be honest, it was kind of mind-blowing. It's hard to believe that there was a time when loading a game from a cassette tape seemed like state-of-the-art.

Edited by Christophero Sly

CVGA wrote:

I find that they work even better when the text is spoken aloud with the use of an additional cart, like the VIC-VODER. To see videos of the Scott Adams' games being computer-spoken, go to Youtube.com and put in the search for VIC-VODER.

Truly,

Robert Bernardo

I watched the video of the Vic-Voder demonstration including you playing a bit of The Count. Fun stuff. It reminded me of playing with a program called SAM (the Software Automatic Mouth) a long long time ago but I think that was for the Commodore 64.

I remember playing these SA adventures around the same time I was into OO-Topos, Odyssey The Complete Apventure, Adventure In Time, and Time Zone.

Long nights on the phone with the big kids down the block, many sheets of 8.5x11 taped together containing what looked like and organic integrated circuit block diagram. A homemade map! 2am calls to BBS’ looking hints and solves.

Hot cups of soup and bags of chips powered these excursions into other worlds thoughout the evening. Always hoping the computer wouldn’t overheat and lock-up. We’d sometimes take the cover off or open the window.

• Like 1

SYS 32592 forever etched in my brain.

Played and beat all of them. Even the original "Impossible Mission", before the name had to be changed to "Secret Mission" (I believe only on other platforms).

It was changed to Secret Mission on the Vic20 as well, but only the packaging; my copy of that still has the cartridge label saying Mission Impossible.

Which ones were half graphics/half text on the Atari?

Definately Scott Addams.

They had SAM for the Atari 8-bit computers as well.

Loved it. Spent hours tricking it into cussing and even wrote basic programs to use it.

I played several Infocom games but I'm not sure I ever played a Scott Adams game.

You know what would be cool? This might even be done, remake the Scott Addams games with the Z-interpreter (like Zork had) engine. :)

CVGA wrote:

Truly,

Robert Bernardo

I remember the TRS-80 model 3 with the voice module on the Scott Addams adventures. There was one Space adventure where when it ended you would hear all run together in a computer voice:

"Boom I'm dead play again?"

Was run together just like that. :)

All and all I have a place in my heart for the text adventures. Zork for me as a kid was basically what I think Harry Potter is like to kids now. I collect all infocom games, and will always like the game cover (with the woman holding the Axe in the daisy duke shorts) being followed by the Dragon on the Adventureland cover. :D Good times.