IGNORED

Skunkboard production batch. Declare list.

willyvmm

I'm late to the party apparently. If someone backs-out (or if they're somehow miraculously still available...which isn't how my luck generally goes), then put me down for one.

I think you're probably still good. There's been no request for payments or anything yet. If the numbers really are set in stone, as long as the guy is OK with it, he can take one off my request and allocate it to you instead.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to have one too, if there are still some devices left, payment is no problem :-D

I mainly check the 8 bit Forums in here and totally missed the topic here. yesterday at our local Abbuc Atarimeeting I was asking if some of the Jag guys there would know of a place to get a skunk board and I was told to check the jag forum... how silly not to do so before for some time

it's protected against surges (avoid what happened to Clu when both his older skunks fried).

this is a good thing yes, however it disables another good thing (fast flash mode)

so in my opinion, +1 - -1 = 0

must have been using faulty power supplies in my opinion, my skunks have always been fine

Clu's were /definitely/ out of spec power supplies (like 70% too high), but on good faith I replaced the boards with my personal ones. The decision to tie the power brick to the flash chip directly was mandated by the fact that the power supply was at the lower limit of the voltage required for high speed programming mode. But it also required that the input power be within the specification of the flash chip, for some people that wasn't true. As long as people are always careful to use the correctly rated power supply, though, things seem fine.

Removing the power line on the rev 3 board seems to have made it safe - I attempted to cause suspected scenarios on Rev 2 to occur, and did not succeed. While the hardware programming mode is slower, I rewrote the flash routines and got some of the lost speed back, rev 3 flash programming is probably 70% of the speed of rev 2, instead of less than 50%. We also had a 0% failure rate in programming on Rev 3, but it is impossible to be certain whether this was because of the wiring change or because the new run of flash chips was better.

Rev 1 remains the fastest board, if you are programming and want fast flash writes you need that. This is mostly because the programming sequence is half the length on the 4MB flash chip than it was on the 8MB flash chip. ;) If you're just loading and playing games, you won't really notice the difference in flash time, it's on the order of a few seconds.

Still, for anyone worried about their Rev2 board, the tested hack to remove the high voltage programming line is on my forums here: http://www.harmlesslion.com/HLsup/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=966

After doing the mod you can either reflash with Rev3 firmware or leave it at Rev2 and just use the -fw flag in JPC for "flash, slow word write". I'm willing to do the mod for anyone willing to pay round-trip postage, too, or at least as long as I still have a Jaguar to test with.

• Like 2

Rev 1 remains the fastest board, if you are programming and want fast flash writes you need that. This is mostly because the programming sequence is half the length on the 4MB flash chip than it was on the 8MB flash chip. ;)

Hmm? You don't you use sector-erasing and empty sector skipping?

Hmm? You don't you use sector-erasing and empty sector skipping?

While you could get the answer to that yourself, it has nothing to do with the size of the flash chip. Sector erasing is kind of mandatory ;). I don't bother sector skipping but a sector containing all 0xff will write extremely quickly (basically the speed of a write and a read) - try it for yourself. And since a 2MB ROM will always write only 2MB no matter the chip, the flash size is not part of the equation.

The difference is in the programming sequence:

AT49BV320D (rev1) dual-word program sequence = E0, Data0, Data1 (3 writes for 4 bytes)

AT49BV642D (rev2) dual-word program sequence = AA, 55, E0, Data0, Data1 (5 writes for 4 bytes)

The chips support a "single-pulse" mode whereby you can start the programming, then write the entire block. I used this on the Rev 3 board to get some of the speed back. But it is still not as fast as the dual-word program, since you have to wait for each word to be programmed (versus waiting for two words at a time in dual mode). As the waits are longer than the writes, doubling the number of waits works out slower than using the dual-word mode.

• Like 1

No worries. :)

It can't (safely) do a full chip erase as that will erase the BIOS - if the write was then interrupted, the board would be bricked. :) (And then on the 8MB versions, you'd also lose the contents of the other bank). So, it has to erase one sector at a time.

• Like 1

Update:
Today i got confirmation at the production batch was started.
There will be enough boards for everyone :)
I really apologize for the long time ... but i have also family, job etc.
Willy.

No excuses take all the time you need just update us, and remember live and family is very important...

Hmm seeing VLADR is waiting for his skunkboard aswell finally he can test on a real jaguar :grin:

True that. With JaguarSector-II site gone, we lost all the threads that had the info on troubleshooting the Protector-II SE / parallel cable upload process (and all related issues related to the add-on LPT cards). So, yeah - I'm kinda excited about the skunk so that I can finally directly test my builds !

Imagine the amount of crap my LPT/ParallelCable thread would get (from you-know-who) if I dared to ask a technical question here...

True that. With JaguarSector-II site gone, we lost all the threads that had the info on troubleshooting the Protector-II SE / parallel cable upload process (and all related issues related to the add-on LPT cards). So, yeah - I'm kinda excited about the skunk so that I can finally directly test my builds !

Imagine the amount of crap my LPT/ParallelCable thread would get (from you-know-who) if I dared to ask a technical question here...

Trolling for negative attention? OK! WHERE'S MY REAL HARDWARE INPUT COMMANDS!!?$%#^%^#

..just joking :) I can wait :)

• Like 3

Trolling for negative attention? OK! WHERE'S MY REAL HARDWARE INPUT COMMANDS!!?$%#^%^#

..just joking :) I can wait :)

Don't believe the hype. Input is overrated :)

That being said, it sits happily on spot No 3 in the To-Do list :)

I never thought I would so eagerly await the arrival of a skunk to my home !