IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Hi guys,

メタル祭り! 残念ながら、この写真を撮ったのは2年前で、現在はメタスラ3の日本の初期版しか持っていません  (涙 #ダブりのソフトを貼って何RT来るか実践pic.twitter.com/X0DDDZbnEG

Translate from Japanese
Translated from Japanese by BingWrong translation?

DFsbBwbXYAAAvn1.jpg

Anthony...

thanks Anthony, I'm planning on doing a lot more of these focused on the Neo Geo games via the ACA. They're really well ported from the MVS selection and it's great playing them on various setups.

Still love my cab though!

Hi guys,

Back with Atariage member RetroGamingBlog (Ash) doing a fun review of Blazing Star on the Nintendo Switch. Let's listen to what he has to say shall we? :)

From the description,

"Hi! My name is Ash, but people in these parts call me Retro. Its a nickname acquired through gaming online, the RGB blog and Twitch stream.

If you like what I do and want to support me, you can recommend my Blog to a friend, share a video Ive created or donate below, but most importantly enjoy your time whilst looking around.

---

4 sentient biological weapons spawned from a conflict between two planets is the catalyst that propels you into the world of Blazing Star.

Originally released by SNK in 1998 and developed by Yumekobo the game continues to be released across multiple formats as part of the ACA NEOGEO series. We've played Blazing Star across all formats including the Arcade, Steam and the Nintendo Switch. These iterations from the original MVS version hold up very well and providing you find the right control method for you, there's not a lot to begrudge.

Blazing Star review by Ash @RGB_RetroBlog"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxXDVy7yYs0

Anthony...

• Like 1

thanks Anthony, I'm planning on doing a lot more of these focused on the Neo Geo games via the ACA. They're really well ported from the MVS selection and it's great playing them on various setups.

Still love my cab though!

Hi guys,

Back with Atariage member RetroGamingBlog (Ash) doing a fun review of Blazing Star on the Nintendo Switch. Let's listen to what he has to say shall we? :)

From the description,

"Hi! My name is Ash, but people in these parts call me Retro. Its a nickname acquired through gaming online, the RGB blog and Twitch stream.

If you like what I do and want to support me, you can recommend my Blog to a friend, share a video Ive created or donate below, but most importantly enjoy your time whilst looking around.

---

4 sentient biological weapons spawned from a conflict between two planets is the catalyst that propels you into the world of Blazing Star.

Originally released by SNK in 1998 and developed by Yumekobo the game continues to be released across multiple formats as part of the ACA NEOGEO series. We've played Blazing Star across all formats including the Arcade, Steam and the Nintendo Switch. These iterations from the original MVS version hold up very well and providing you find the right control method for you, there's not a lot to begrudge.

Blazing Star review by Ash @RGB_RetroBlog"

Anthony...

You're welcome Ash.

Glad to see you back on and we can't wait to see more Neo-Geo action on your Nintendo Switch. Very nice work indeed and were happy to view the next title from you soon. :)

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Yeah Ant still have the DC link cable it doesn't do as much as I use to hope it would back in 99 but cool none the less, I really believe SNK had a chance with the Pocket it was such a great unit, OK it wasn't what we all wanted at the beginning certainly and they were never going to 'steel' Nintendos handheld crown but they were aiming for a 2-5 percent market share and when they just pulled the plug like over night, quit literally over night, was in EB on the Saturday I spent my wages for the week on Crush Roller, went back on the Monday to pick up Reversi only to be told they'd been told to pull it! Madness!

I think SNK could of done it, I don't care what others say, they had a chance!

Never had any of the promo stuff but always been intrigued by it, but it hardly ever comes for sale.

Most defiantly want the RetroHQ flash cart though thats for sure!

• Like 1

I've gone back onto an MVS kick, and am picking up games again. Lately I've grabbed Savage Reign (a while ago for that one), Crossed Swords, Ninja Combat, Karnov's Revenge, and I'm trying for some more that honestly aren't the most exciting.

Last night I did something I haven't done in probably half a decade--I credit fed until I beat a game (crossed swords). It was neat, and if I hadn't I'd probably have gone my whole life thinking it only had the 3 levels from the select screen. I really like the concept of a Punch-Out style RPG, but I can't clear the second level on the one credit I usually limit myself to, and playing the beginning over and over was getting me down. Buying Crossed swords means getting close to the end of the list of games I can afford, that I actually enjoy.

The rest of the games I just got, I don't really think I'm going to play. I have a special area to store that kind of game, since I've noticed that house guests don't like repeatedly losing, at my personal favorite games. "Don't worry, we'll just whip out...Football Frenzy--a game neither of us would ever have played if you hadn't come over."

I also am not allowed to play puzzle games without the wife, for fear of me 'getting too good' at them.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

post-61243-0-60683200-1501453711.png

post-61243-0-06895000-1501453710.png

Anyone have any idea why on the Bean Sticks theres a grey version and a black version? Ive two of them both boxed, both solid black, Ive never seen this two tone version before, is this a personal paint job or did they come in two colours?

MJ

• Like 1

I was talking to this one guy on ebay who has some MVS games who happens to live in town here. Problem is he lives in fantasy land on the value of his carts PLUS is not taking into consideration I'd buy them in person as well. Wants $50 on Sengoku 1 (which is the high paid it goes for) and $100 on a loose Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer which is about what it goes for anyway too. I just stopped responding to the dude but I bookmarked his Cowcaizer game because if it slips through the cracks and goes cheaper I'll go rub it in his face for trying to rip me off.

• Like 2

Anyone have any idea why on the Bean Sticks theres a grey version and a black version? Ive two of them both boxed, both solid black, Ive never seen this two tone version before, is this a personal paint job or did they come in two colours?

MJ

I usually see the two-tone pro controllers in pictures with the neo geo hotel unit. I'm guessing they came from those.

edit: it turns out from here that they also came as a standard release in a standard box

I actually saw a two tone controller in a import store in Chinatown once in NYC. Was it from a rental unit? Maybe. I wanted to buy it, but someone beat me to the punch when I was going to the bank because I didn't have a debit card or credit card at the time. Just an ATM card. :(

Anthony...

• Like 1

I usually see the two-tone pro controllers in pictures with the neo geo hotel unit. I'm guessing they came from those.

edit: it turns out from here that they also came as a standard release in a standard box

Cheers man appreciate the info. Ive never seen a two tone one before!

MJ

And I'm still kicking myself for the price they had it for at only $10. MAN, that was a steal. :(

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 2

I actually saw a two tone controller in a import store in Chinatown once in NYC. Was it from a rental unit? Maybe. I wanted to buy it, but someone beat me to the punch when I was going to the bank because I didn't have a debit card or credit card at the time. Just an ATM card. :(

Anthony...

That's a good price for anything neo geo!

Yeah agree thats an awesome price Ant, you should of asked him to put it by.

I never knew there was a two tone 'V2 bean stick' until Reaperman told me! I have two boxed, one new 'bean sticks' but there both solid black, really want a two tone one now, and a HORI FightimgStick, they look awesome, solid metal and heavy but never seen one in the flesh so don't really no, gotta get me one!

MJ

• Like 1

Just won myself a 3 count bout auction. Yay for filling collection checklist holes. 67 left to go.

The pre-match stuff in the game looks fun...and then it seems to turn into button mashing.

HORI FightimgStick, they look awesome, solid metal and heavy but never seen one in the flesh so don't really no, gotta get me one!

MJ

I've never touched a hori neo geo controller, but I have a hori saturn controller from around the same era, and it's not as solid as I'd hoped. The controls work well enough, but the only metal to speak of is the bottom plate. The rest is plastic which has some flex. Looks like the neo one is built similarly. (link)

IMO, it's not worth the cost, but I'd still love to have one some day, for the right price. The Hori's buttons do have a more arcade-like switch compared to snk's button contacts, which more resemble the gamepads of their day. It's an upgrade, but not $100 of an upgrade to me.

Every so often, neo-modified controllers, or old MAS controllers do hit ebay and I'm all about those. They're often pretty unique, and have interesting stories behind them. Strangely, they tend to sell for around or often below the price of the Hori controllers.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

Yeah Ant still have the DC link cable it doesn't do as much as I use to hope it would back in 99 but cool none the less, I really believe SNK had a chance with the Pocket it was such a great unit, OK it wasn't what we all wanted at the beginning certainly and they were never going to 'steel' Nintendos handheld crown but they were aiming for a 2-5 percent market share and when they just pulled the plug like over night, quit literally over night, was in EB on the Saturday I spent my wages for the week on Crush Roller, went back on the Monday to pick up Reversi only to be told they'd been told to pull it! Madness!

I think SNK could of done it, I don't care what others say, they had a chance!

Never had any of the promo stuff but always been intrigued by it, but it hardly ever comes for sale.

Most defiantly want the RetroHQ flash cart though thats for sure!

That link cable is on my 'want list" MJ. It's kind of expensive and would like to have it despite its price. So I would mind putting in a few extra dollars (pounds) for it just to have it.

I concur Matty, the NGPC is a great piece. In all my years that I had discussions regarding the handheld unit. Nobody said they disliked the console. I worst I ever heard anyone say about it was, "it's just okay". But the majority said its a must to have in anyone's collection. I have to agree. You can still find great titles at good, to fairly decent prices and I would like to collected flyers for the system off Ebay more than the AES versions. :-D

Anthony..

• Like 1