IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

As always, thanks for the shout out Anthony. This is one hell of a hard shooter, and I love shooters. This one has also become quite hard to find now-a-days thanks to the supply vs demand. I always tell people, if they can find Pulstar for a decent price, GRAB IT. It pops up so rarely for good prices these days.

You're welcome Jarrod. Thank you for the contribution to the Neo-Geo community and video games in general. Looking forward to next wednesday and all your other videos. Including Steve!!! :-D

Anthony...

So today I brainstormed a bit about potential themes for the controller I ordered yesterday, because it's just boring.

The default choice of using a busty anime girl also doesn't quite seem like it has the proper 'neo geo spirit' of being 'just a bit off.'

I need something to go along with the theme of being blue and white...and really really cheap. Something that gets the job done, but nothing too classy, for sure.

So this is my first attempt and I'm fairly pleased. Still lots of room for minor tweaks, for sure. I'm thinking translucent orange IL buttons, and a Sanwa JLW stick with a blue battop (mainly because it will actually fit, and the eurostick or jlf will not):

kYvpktf.jpg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 3

So today I brainstormed a bit about potential themes for the controller I ordered yesterday, because it's just boring.

The default choice of using a busty anime girl also doesn't quite seem like it has the proper 'neo geo spirit' of being 'just a bit off.'

I need something to go along with the theme of being blue and white...and really really cheap. Something that gets the job done, but nothing too classy, for sure.

So this is my first attempt and I'm fairly pleased. Still lots of room for minor tweaks, for sure. I'm thinking translucent orange IL buttons, and a Sanwa JLW stick with a blue battop (mainly because it will actually fit, and the eurostick or jlf will not):

kYvpktf.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA... :lolblue::lolblue::lolblue:

I love it Reaper. You can't beat the cool man Billy Dee Williams looking at you play. Truly priceless and worth seeing that in action when you play it! Thanks for posting this!! 1Million thumbs up to it!

Anthony....

Hi guys,

Rejoice once more!! :party:

The Official NEO-GEO Thread is now up to 80 pages and counting! Thank you all that view, post, and reply towards the thread. We always welcome new members to partake in the amazing discussions that we concentrate on making the community even more exciting to congregate among us for your Neo-Geo needs/wants! :-D

Thank you as always and let's continue to gather! :)

Anthony...

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Now this looks awesome. a custom Neo-Geo bartop unit that has 620-in-1 games. Like the design for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bar-Top-620-in-1-Multiple-Games-Arcade-Simpsons-X-Men-TNMT-Neo-Geo-Paper-Boy-/262147171487?hash=item3d0930649f:g:HDUAAOSw14xWIsTj

s-l1600.jpg

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 3

Hey neo elite,

Thought I would do a quick poll. What is your favorite Neo Geo sports title out of these 3 to do a 1 credit game video: Baseball Stars 2, Football Frenzy, or Street Hoop? Also would anyone be willing to watch a live stream of playing Neo Geo titles on actual hardware instead of on the emulator? Just fishing for Ideas for new videos! Happy Gaming!!!!

-Aaron

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Now this looks awesome. a custom Neo-Geo bartop unit that has 620-in-1 games. Like the design for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bar-Top-620-in-1-Multiple-Games-Arcade-Simpsons-X-Men-TNMT-Neo-Geo-Paper-Boy-/262147171487?hash=item3d0930649f:g:HDUAAOSw14xWIsTj

s-l1600.jpg

Anthony...

This is a cool setup, I have this arcade board but it is in a large standup multicade. This would be awesome!!!

• Like 1

Hey neo elite,

Thought I would do a quick poll. What is your favorite Neo Geo sports title out of these 3 to do a 1 credit game video: Baseball Stars 2, Football Frenzy, or Street Hoop? Also would anyone be willing to watch a live stream of playing Neo Geo titles on actual hardware instead of on the emulator? Just fishing for Ideas for new videos! Happy Gaming!!!!

-Aaron

Hmmmmm. Tough choices Aaron.

How about Football Frenzy. I'm a Dallas Cowboy fan and been watching Football a lot lately would mind watching something that got be already in the mood for! :)

As for the stream Aaron. I'll be happy on what's conformable for you. Its always fun to watch your videos & streams regardless of hardware that you have been using! :thumbsup: :)

Anthony...

Hi guys,

This morning we have a video gamer by the name of Pandez Lanmuk that was kind to share his experience playing Cyber-Lip. This was their first Neo-Geo title they played. Not only were they pleased with the overall results. They did a good job playing it for first timers! Glad that the Neo-Geo was to their liking! :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgo8j2yAa3E

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Hi guys,

Back again with felow Atariage member GadgetUK. Usually the kind sir is on the thread showing us his maintenance & repair videos for Neo-Geo consoles. But this time, the chap is doing a NGPC review of a flash card called, "Neo Flash Masta" for the little unit. A finely detailed video that will benefit the NGPC owners for your gaming pleasure.

From the description,

A short video covering the Neo Flash Masta (for the SNK Neo Geo Pocket) from Ed Mandy.

http://www.flashmasta.com/
Ed's YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/cfc2ngpc

Thank you Gadget. Looking forward to your videos in the immediate future :)

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Hi guys,

Back again with Ronnie from White Boy Gaming doing a great playthough of Sengoku.

Despite its not my favorite out of the series, It does offer some cool elements of the game when shifting to different forms of fighters. It does also give you a chance to see the Neo-Geo beginnings in the genre on beat'em ups Thank you Ronnie as always and keep up the great work on future titles! :)

Anthony...

• Like 1

Hey neo elite,

-Aaron

How about Street Hoop? If you are running Baseball Stars 2 on the MVS, you get 3 minutes of playtime per credit or you can use a few credits to play one game.

Edited by NeoTurboManiac
  • Like 2

How about Street Hoop? If you are running Baseball Stars 2 on the MVS, you get 3 minutes of playtime per credit or you can use a few credits to play one game.

I wouldn't mind Street Hoop either Neo. Love Basketball and use to be on the Basketball team in H.S. :)

Anthony...

The bittersweet saga of Reaperman's budget neo stick continues.

As it turns out, there are some unexpected issues with my stick that I should have been wise enough to foresee. I knew the case fit and finish would be lacking, however I hadn't counted on:

• Thicker mdf surface than usual, combined with an extremely lazy mounting method means an overly stubby stick no matter what kind of hardware is used.
  • but far worse, the knockoff trapper-keeper artwork is actually painted on the underside of the plexi, meaning it is overly difficult to give it the proper Lando malt liquor theme--or indeed any better theme than 'chickenwire and spray paint.' (and yes, I'm still deciding if this is worth cutting new plexi for)

However, despite those issues, I have decided that it will still become my 2p controller. It may not have a destiny as something I'm truly fond of, but darned if it can't still be better than the vast majority of neo geo controllers. Afterall, it's made of sturdy mdf, and was built to accept bulky arcade controls, so ol' crudler's still got something going for it.

The top:

Sporting a stubby balltop and concave buttons with an oddly harsh edge to them, the eye can't help but be drawn to the laziest artwork on earth. Playstation controllers usually sport 8-buttons, but nobody told Red Octane. Theirs has four buttons faintly labeled from left to right: 'guard,' 'A,' 'B,' and 'Kick.' Whatever game uses that button layout is a puzzle that I really don't care enough to solve. If you look along the front edge of the controller, you'll notice a substance that I dub 'mystery snot'

3MDjoBO.jpg

hncIv0C.jpg

The Bottom:

On the bottom of the controller, the telltale sign that I'm not the first visitor to its internals. That, and when I first opened it, this cover was installed upside down. One wonders what the previous owner did in there, because he surely didn't clean up or upgrade anything.
AVRaHT0.jpg

The internals:

I'd seen pictures of the insides of red octane sticks before, and thought I was prepared for it, but what I saw was quite different from the other pictures online. The controls themselves have the feel of cold-war communism--as if the person who built them had never touched the original, but attempted to build something similar from grainy spy photos.
Most of the other red octane internal shots I've seen have nice sensible cloned happ buttons. Given the concave and clicky experience they provided, I expected to see them here too, however mine have a distinctly asian appearance from below. The unprotected "Sezkg" brand microswitches on the "Chilong" lever appear to have taken decades of beatings. Cable management is performed with a single bread tie. Ground wires are soldered on, but quick disconnects are on the signal wires. Odd...

YpZe3US.jpg

Off with his head!

Or rather, 'off with his everything!'

xyqN9Yq.jpg

The moment of horror.

Up to exactly this point, I was still quite happy with the stick. Sure it was odd inside, but those insides were in the trash. Removing the stick and buttons meant that I had freed the plexiglass. It was free for me to measure for my artwork template. Then, as I flipped the stick over...Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

And no, there's no good way to remove paint from plexiglass. Not without it fogging.

CtUIkG4.jpg

The show must go on.

Having been dealt a huge blow to morale, I calmly considered the stick's future. It was always destined to be the 2p's loaner stick rather than something for me, but I had hoped artwork could have made this stick into a real conversation piece. It will never be what I wanted it to be, but I do still need another controller so I began test-fitting parts. I had been told in this post, that IL/Happ sticks wouldn't fit, and that I'd have to use some kind of lame sanwa setup. Luckily, this doesn't appear to be the case, as I dropped my bulkiest spare stick in and it fit fine--there's even a shallow cutout in the back cover for extra-extra clearance. None of this gear is 'my thing' but I had to make sure everything was theoretically possible before dumping $50 on snazzy internals.

8d1Pggb.jpg

urBvpO4.jpg

The fifth stage of grief...

...is acceptance. Acceptance that the stick will end up costing me as much as I had planned, but for far lower benefit to myself. It will be 'good enough.' And here it is pictured next to the MAS with its mock-up parts still in place. I'm going to have to order it some convex IL buttons, a eurostick, and a whole bunch of cherry switches. It is still going to be my 2p controller.

0l6OtJs.jpg

To be continued...

• Like 1

The bittersweet saga of Reaperman's budget neo stick continues.

As it turns out, there are some unexpected issues with my stick that I should have been wise enough to foresee. I knew the case fit and finish would be lacking, however I hadn't counted on:

• Thicker mdf surface than usual, combined with an extremely lazy mounting method means an overly stubby stick no matter what kind of hardware is used.
  • but far worse, the knockoff trapper-keeper artwork is actually painted on the underside of the plexi, meaning it is overly difficult to give it the proper Lando malt liquor theme--or indeed any better theme than 'chickenwire and spray paint.' (and yes, I'm still deciding if this is worth cutting new plexi for)

However, despite those issues, I have decided that it will still become my 2p controller. It may not have a destiny as something I'm truly fond of, but darned if it can't still be better than the vast majority of neo geo controllers. Afterall, it's made of sturdy mdf, and was built to accept bulky arcade controls, so ol' crudler's still got something going for it.

The top:

Sporting a stubby balltop and concave buttons with an oddly harsh edge to them, the eye can't help but be drawn to the laziest artwork on earth. Playstation controllers usually sport 8-buttons, but nobody told Red Octane. Theirs has four buttons faintly labeled from left to right: 'guard,' 'A,' 'B,' and 'Kick.' Whatever game uses that button layout is a puzzle that I really don't care enough to solve. If you look along the front edge of the controller, you'll notice a substance that I dub 'mystery snot'

3MDjoBO.jpg

hncIv0C.jpg

The Bottom:

On the bottom of the controller, the telltale sign that I'm not the first visitor to its internals. That, and when I first opened it, this cover was installed upside down. One wonders what the previous owner did in there, because he surely didn't clean up or upgrade anything.

AVRaHT0.jpg

The internals:

I'd seen pictures of the insides of red octane sticks before, and thought I was prepared for it, but what I saw was quite different from the other pictures online. The controls themselves have the feel of cold-war communism--as if the person who built them had never touched the original, but attempted to build something similar from grainy spy photos.

Most of the other red octane internal shots I've seen have nice sensible cloned happ buttons. Given the concave and clicky experience they provided, I expected to see them here too, however mine have a distinctly asian appearance from below. The unprotected "Sezkg" brand microswitches on the "Chilong" lever appear to have taken decades of beatings. Cable management is performed with a single bread tie. Ground wires are soldered on, but quick disconnects are on the signal wires. Odd...

YpZe3US.jpg

Off with his head!

Or rather, 'off with his everything!'

xyqN9Yq.jpg

The moment of horror.

Up to exactly this point, I was still quite happy with the stick. Sure it was odd inside, but those insides were in the trash. Removing the stick and buttons meant that I had freed the plexiglass. It was free for me to measure for my artwork template. Then, as I flipped the stick over...Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

And no, there's no good way to remove paint from plexiglass. Not without it fogging.

CtUIkG4.jpg

The show must go on.

Having been dealt a huge blow to morale, I calmly considered the stick's future. It was always destined to be the 2p's loaner stick rather than something for me, but I had hoped artwork could have made this stick into a real conversation piece. It will never be what I wanted it to be, but I do still need another controller so I began test-fitting parts. I had been told in this post, that IL/Happ sticks wouldn't fit, and that I'd have to use some kind of lame sanwa setup. Luckily, this doesn't appear to be the case, as I dropped my bulkiest spare stick in and it fit fine--there's even a shallow cutout in the back cover for extra-extra clearance. None of this gear is 'my thing' but I had to make sure everything was theoretically possible before dumping $50 on snazzy internals.

8d1Pggb.jpg

urBvpO4.jpg

The fifth stage of grief...

...is acceptance. Acceptance that the stick will end up costing me as much as I had planned, but for far lower benefit to myself. It will be 'good enough.' And here it is pictured next to the MAS with its mock-up parts still in place. I'm going to have to order it some convex IL buttons, a eurostick, and a whole bunch of cherry switches. It is still going to be my 2p controller.

0l6OtJs.jpg

To be continued...

WOW Reaper, its keeps getting better and better. Can't wait to see more of this .

Anthony...

I think I will play Street hoop and Football Frenzy they seem like they would be a ton of fun to play and record!!

-Aaron

Sounds good Aaron.

Can't wait to see it. If you have a chance. Check out Project COE Neo-Geo videos every Wednesday. A new one will be posted tomorrow! :)

Anthony...

Hi guys,

Back again with snkneogeoman with another informative video regarding, Garou: Mark of the Wolves that was ported to the Playstation 2. Its an excellent port from the last title from the series that gives you plenty of bang fro your buck. If you have a chance, take a gander at snkneogeoman's channel for all of your Neo-Geo needs/wants. You'll want be dissatisfied to what he uploads to the community!

Anthony...