IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

NeoSD Pro MVS is available now. They are only making one run of these, so if you want one, get it now before it goes away forever.

https://shop.terraonion.com/en/neo-geo-mvs-arcade-board/18-neosd-pro-mvs.html
Tempted, but I don't see any mention of Neo Geo CD support like the NeoSD Pro for AES has. Maybe the MVS boards don't universally support cartridge audio? Even so, it could have used a headphone jack for external audio mixing which would let you maintain stereo... unlike the AES version which was presumably finalized without one before they added NEO CD support. That was unfortunate since the AES cartridge slot audio pins are mono-only. It would be a total "buy" if they rectified that with the MVS version by giving it a headphone jack!

On 9/29/2020 at 5:12 AM, fdurso224 said:

Hi guys,

先日はゲームバーと龍虎の展に行ってきました〜☻
Translated from Japanese by
The other day I went to the game bar and Ryutora exhibition ~☻

Anthony..

This is just incredible wow

• Like 1

I understand the price of the consoles, but how can these Everdrive cartriges be so expensive?

Are there any other cheaper alternatives?

And also, will these cartridges work in any version of the console, including Japanese?

Finally, does Neo Geo look very bad in an HDTV through "euroconnector" scart? What extra devices or cables do you need to get the best image? (I have only tried that with a RGB scart for PS1).

Edited by IntelliMission
  • Like 1

I understand the price of the consoles, but how can these Everdrive cartriges be so expensive?

Are there any other cheaper alternatives?

And also, will these cartridges work in any version of the console, including Japanese?

Finally, does Neo Geo look very bad in an HDTV through "euroconnector" scart? What extra devices or cables do you need to get the best image? (I have only tried that with a RGB scart for PS1).

They have a smaller market to recoup development costs and MUCH more EEPROM/RAM with a complex FPGA. The cost of games is also much higher so it's easier to justify.

The non-Pro is a couple hundred bucks cheaper. There's also the DarkSoft MVS Multi.

Neo Geo is 240p. Most digital televisions with analog inputs misinterpret it as 480i, which means they will needlessly deinterlace non-interlaced 240p. This pointless deinterlacing adds latency, blurs anything that moves, and ruins 60hz effects... like flashing a sprite for pseudo-transparency (might appear, solid, invisible, missing alternate lines, or switch between those).

Other than the RAD2X cable from Retro Gaming Cables UK, all HDMI cables for Neo Geo have the same problem since they use the same off-the-shelf scaling chips a digital TV would use* and there is no off-the-shelf scaling chip that properly handles 240p. The cheapest generic solution for 240p on a digital display is the RetroTink 2X lineup, so definitely check those out. They have options for composite, S-Video, RGB, and YPbPr Component Video.

Personally, I use a Genesis 2 HD Retrovision RGB to Component cable with the Neo•Geo adapter (adapter is out of production) then I connect that to an OSSC (Open Source Scan Converter) for crisp, zero-latency line-doubled DVI/HDMI output.

*those scaler chips are literally intended to go inside a TV to handle the analog inputs. They are intended to output directly to the digital panel in the panel's native resolution but the HDMI cables send the output to an HDMI transmitter chip instead. Exact same thing those $20 HDMI converters do.
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Oh yeah~ time for some new Neo Geo games! Got both of these today. Samurai Spirits was about 3000 yen and in beautiful condition. The manual and cart look brand new! Garou Densetsu Special is interesting because apparently the plastic thingy that holds the box art had somehow grown mouldy, so they carefully cut part of it off at the top. The actual box art itself is kind of wrinkly like lots of other softcase games that I see, but other than that it looks very nice and the cart and manual are in excellent condition!

Oh Wow. I still remember when i purchased Samurai Shoown and Fatal Fury Special at a import store down in Chinatown New York Steve. They happen to be in the same condition like yours and the manual in perfect condition. Maybe it's time to play them again after seeing your post bro. :)

Anthony.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CZroe said:

Personally, I use a Genesis 2 HD Retrovision RGB to Component cable with the Neo•Geo adapter (adapter is out of production) then I connect that to an OSSC (Open Source Scan Converter) for crisp, zero-latency line-doubled DVI/HDMI output.

Same. Unfortunately, my right side audio on my HD Retrovision cable decided to basically stop working yesterday. I'm now past my warranty period, so the only thing I think I can do now is to buy another one since I need this cable for a few systems that don't have headphone jacks, like the Saturn. It seems they won't be in stock until late November/early December, though.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

祝!#龍虎の展 開催記念

このアカウントをフォロー&リツイートしていただいた方の中から抽選で5名様に、「友情トート」をプレゼント

締切は2020年10月4日(日)12:00まで! 当選のご連絡のため、DM機能を開放しておいてくださいね

#100MSHOP #龍虎の拳 #SNK #NEOGEO #INDOR

Celebration!#龍虎の展 Commemorative event

Five people who follow and retweet this account will be given a "Friendship Tote" by lottery.

The deadline is until 12:00 on Sunday, October 4, 2020! Please leave the DM function open so that we can contact you about winning.

#100MSHOP#龍虎の拳#SNK#NEOGEO#INDOR

Anthony..

• Like 1

Hi guys,

今日は #龍虎の拳 の影の主役?! #藤堂竜白 さんのお誕生日です

デビュー28年目にして、竜白さんがまさかの商品化! #1P2Pアクリルスタンド とWON-LOSTアクリルスタンドにラインナップ! 愛娘の香澄ちゃんもお目見えです

#龍虎の展 #100MSHOP #SNK #NEOGEO #INDOR #SNKキャラ誕生日
today #龍虎の拳 The protagonist of the shadow ?!#藤堂竜白 It's your birthday

In the 28th year since his debut, Mr. Ryuhaku has commercialized it! #1P2Pアクリルスタンド And WON-LOST acrylic stand lineup! Kasumi-chan, my beloved daughter, is also here

#龍虎の展#100MSHOP#SNK#NEOGEO#INDOR#SNKキャラ誕生日

Anthony..

• Like 1

Hi guys,

■商品情報■F6キャンバスボード アメコミ風 海外版イラストを使用した本格的キャンバスボードです。 今にもバトルが始まりそうなリョウとロバートの熱視線対決

壁に吊るすのはもちろん、立てかけておくだけでもサマになる逸品です! #龍虎の展 #100MSHOP #龍虎の拳 #SNK #NEOGEO #INDOR
■ Product information ■ F6 Canvas Board This is a full-scale canvas board that uses American comic style overseas illustrations. Ryo and Robert's enthusiastic confrontation where the battle is about to begin

It's a gem that can be hung on the wall or just leaned against it! #龍虎の展#100MSHOP#龍虎の拳#SNK#NEOGEO#INDOR

Anthony..

• Like 1

Hi guys,

ようやく行けた龍虎の展っ!!!アクリルプレートも欲しかったが…タツマキゲキーィ
The exhibition of the dragon tiger that I finally went to! !! !! I also wanted an acrylic plate, but ...

Anthony..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CZroe said:

If you are talking about the curved edge along the top of the clear plastic on a softbox, that's actually caused by the clear window piece shrinking over the years. It's plastic-welded on the sides and bottom edge, so it can't pull away there like it can along the top edge. That's also why it wrinkles, since it pulls on the black plastic underneath. My copy of Fatal Fury Special is the exact same way: shrunk and wrinkled, exposing some of the paper insert at the top.

Interesting. My other 2 softboxes don't have that at the top there. I am not sure how I feel about the softboxes compared to the later hard boxes with the latch on the side.

6 hours ago, fdurso224 said:

Oh Wow. I still remember when i purchased Samurai Shoown and Fatal Fury Special at a import store down in Chinatown New York Steve. They happen to be in the same condition like yours and the manual in perfect condition. Maybe it's time to play them again after seeing your post bro. :)

Anthony.

Yeah, I'm planning on picking up all of the Garou Densetsu games, so I need to start somewhere. The director of Super Smash Bros. recommends Garou Densetsu Special/Fatal Fury Special particularly, so I figured I'd start with it since it's not too expensive. Too bad there is no practice mode, and naturally I can't even beat the computer on the lowest difficulty setting since I am bad at fighting games. Anyway, it seems that the original Garou Densetsu has become a bit rare, and the only copies I can find in town are cart only. I definitely want at least the box for all of my AES games, and preferably the instructions as well. I found the entire rest of the series boxed with manuals, though. I will probably prioritize the games that actually have stories over things like Real Bout 2 and stuff.

As for Samurai Spirits, I like this game. I can actually beat the first CPU on the easiest difficulty! Then the second one kills me and I can't get any farther, but I think I'll have to practice this game some more. No training mode again, but these are technically arcade games, so I can't really blame them for not having them. Glad that AES KOF '98 does have a training mode for sure.

My HD Retrovision cable also seems to be behaving properly again for some reason. Not sure why it was being strange last night, but it's working fine now. I've actually been playing Dracula X on the Saturn, but I'll get around to trying some more Neo Geo games as well, especially once I start getting a few more Garou Densetsu games. Yes, I have the Darksoft cart, but using a cart like that and using the real carts is still a different experience.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fdurso224 said:

Hi guys,

今日は #龍虎の拳 の影の主役?! #藤堂竜白 さんのお誕生日です

デビュー28年目にして、竜白さんがまさかの商品化! #1P2Pアクリルスタンド とWON-LOSTアクリルスタンドにラインナップ! 愛娘の香澄ちゃんもお目見えです

#龍虎の展 #100MSHOP #SNK #NEOGEO #INDOR #SNKキャラ誕生日
today #龍虎の拳 The protagonist of the shadow ?!#藤堂竜白 It's your birthday

In the 28th year since his debut, Mr. Ryuhaku has commercialized it! #1P2Pアクリルスタンド And WON-LOST acrylic stand lineup! Kasumi-chan, my beloved daughter, is also here

#龍虎の展#100MSHOP#SNK#NEOGEO#INDOR#SNKキャラ誕生日

Anthony..

Oh boy what I would do to get my hands on these goodies ?

• Like 1

Interesting. My other 2 softboxes don't have that at the top there. I am not sure how I feel about the softboxes compared to the later hard boxes with the latch on the side.

Yeah. Most of my softboxes aren't like that either. There are probably other factors... like the mix of plastic in a particular batch and how much time it spent stored in heat or sunlight over the last 25 years.

The only snap-lock case I have is a Neo•Geo X replica from the Mega Pack Volume 1. It fits AES games and looks perfect except it has "Neo•Geo X" molded into it. I really wish they would sell these in bulk as replacement cases. :(

29 minutes ago, CZroe said:

Yeah. Most of my softboxes aren't like that either. There are probably other factors... like the mix of plastic in a particular batch and how much time it spent stored in heat or sunlight over the last 25 years.

The only snap-lock case I have is a Neo•Geo X replica from the Mega Pack Volume 1. It fits AES games and looks perfect except it has "Neo•Geo X" molded into it. I really wish they would sell these in bulk as replacement cases. :(

I used to have only 1 softbox and 2 hard boxes, but now I have 3 softboxes. They have some replacement hard cases over at Trader right now for like 3000 yen each or something like that. I forgot exactly.

They still have that CIB Neo Geo X Gold with Ninja Master's (the one I mentioned the other day) and also the Mega Pack CIB, including the clear plastic case thingy, so yeah, I saw that box yesterday as well. I really thought about getting it last week, but for 20000 yen for the X and another like 10000 or so for the Mega Pack, that's way too much for a sub-par emulator with a limited game selection when I can go to the Switch and get probably everything from the X on ACA NEOGEO and still have it portable, cheaper, better games, and better emulation. The screen also has a noticeable vertical scratch right down the center, as well...

I used to have only 1 softbox and 2 hard boxes, but now I have 3 softboxes. They have some replacement hard cases over at Trader right now for like 3000 yen each or something like that. I forgot exactly.

They still have that CIB Neo Geo X Gold with Ninja Master's (the one I mentioned the other day) and also the Mega Pack CIB, including the clear plastic case thingy, so yeah, I saw that box yesterday as well. I really thought about getting it last week, but for 20000 yen for the X and another like 10000 or so for the Mega Pack, that's way too much for a sub-par emulator with a limited game selection when I can go to the Switch and get probably everything from the X on ACA NEOGEO and still have it portable, cheaper, better games, and better emulation. The screen also has a noticeable vertical scratch right down the center, as well...
When I got my Mega Pack Volume 1 last year you could still get them new on eBay for around half that price. I paid less than $30 since the card was supposedly defective. I really just wanted the case and legal use of the ROMs, so I pulled the microSD card out of the proprietary SD card adapter and dumped it. I couldn't figure out how the ROMs are stored in the image and they may be corrupt anyway considering that this was sold as defective. Would be cool if Terra Onion or DarkSoft supported the format so you could insert it directly. :)

Hi guys,

This is the single non fighting game for my #NeoGeo CD and next to #RType it is my favourite #Shmup it’s tough no doubt but then what game on the system is not? The CD soundtrack is fantastic as well #retrogaming #NGCD

Anthony..

• Like 1

Hi guys,

According to KOF 94 art director Mitsuo Kodama, Yuki Kushinada (Kyo's girlfriend in The king of fighters séries and one of the few hidden characters from SNK Gals Fighters) also was based on Yuki Uchida.

Quote Tweet

quz6SFDC_normal.jpg

児玉 光生

@mitsumame1212
· Aug 26
僕ら世代に内田有紀は衝撃 京の彼女が「ユキ」 実は担当と私の盛り上がりが発端でした 現在、私ならユキを描くなら謎として、それぞれの補完に依存するゲームデザインにしていました 脳内補完を超える造形なんてありえないっす 描けば描くほど鼻につく デザイナーは補完を促す仕事だと思います

Anthony..