IGNORED

Mario Kart 8 (free game with purchase, WindWaker etc)

cimerians

I'm pretty excited about the next Mario Kart and here's something really cool if you buy it now:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-will-give-you-a-free-wii-u-game-if-you-buy-mario-kart-8/1100-6419314/

"Nintendo really wants everyone to buy a copy of Mario Kart 8, so they're going to sweeten the deal: register a copy of Mario Kart 8 and you'll get a free Wii U game.

There's 10 to choose from as part of the impressive promotion, with some obvious winners (Wind Waker HD) and losers (Sonic Lost World) in the list:
Nintendo Land
New Super Mario Bros. U
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Game & Wario
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Sonic Lost World
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
Wii Party U
Copies of Mario Kart 8 have to be registered on Club Nintendo before July 31 in order to be eligible for the free Wii U game, and the deal is also valid for customers who pick up the Mario Kart 8 Wii U bundle or purchase the game digitally through the eShop."
Edited by cimerians

Too bad it's not that Mario game where he turns into a cat. I've heard seriously great things about that one and was seriously considering a purchase.

I'm dying for some kind of Mario Kart action, but was thinking of purchasing 7 for the 3DS instead. Any reason I should hold off for the Wii U game?

I was in Best Buy yesterday and saw 4 Mario Kart 8 system bundles sitting in a case. Then i read this morning a story that GameStop also has them in the store.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Mario-Kart-8-Wii-U-Pre-Order-Bundles-Now-Available-Best-Buy-GameStop-63785.html

Sorry, but I have to ask: if the game is finished & packaged and is in stores ready to sell, WHY not sell it now instead of waiting until May 30th? I know there must be some business decision here that I fail to see, but I can think of no reason to postpone sales another 30 days. If nothing else, I would think your customers might appreciate the early release, seeing that its been almost 5 months since Donkey Kong and 3rd parties aren't providing much support.

Guess I will never understand the logic Nintendo employs.

Edited by Mendon

Guess I will never understand the logic Nintendo employs.

It could be a strategy to get people to buy it early (mainly users that don't already have a Wii U). A similar strategy they have used in the past was releasing the download versions of certain games a few weeks before the physical versions hit store shelves, so people that were willing to go that route could get the games early.

Sorry, maybe I should have made my post clearer.... the bundles & the game are in the stores but you can't buy either until May 30th. So that was the reason for my post, just asking that if the bundles and the game are finished, in stores, and ready to sell, why not do so now instead of waiting another 30 days.

And I agree with you Austin about your "strategy" post... Sony is doing it with the new Vita Borderlands 2 game: you can buy the bundle, which includes the game and the redesigned Vita, on May 6th but if you only want the game, you have to wait a week until May 13th.

This strategy doesn't apply to the Wii U bundle & Mario Kart 8 as both the game & bundle are available on the same day.

Edited by Mendon

I'm pretty excited about the next Mario Kart and here's something really cool if you buy it now:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-will-give-you-a-free-wii-u-game-if-you-buy-mario-kart-8/1100-6419314/

"Nintendo really wants everyone to buy a copy of Mario Kart 8, so they're going to sweeten the deal: register a copy of Mario Kart 8 and you'll get a free Wii U game.

There's 10 to choose from as part of the impressive promotion, with some obvious winners (Wind Waker HD) and losers (Sonic Lost World) in the list:
Nintendo Land
New Super Mario Bros. U
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Game & Wario
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Sonic Lost World
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
Wii Party U
Copies of Mario Kart 8 have to be registered on Club Nintendo before July 31 in order to be eligible for the free Wii U game, and the deal is also valid for customers who pick up the Mario Kart 8 Wii U bundle or purchase the game digitally through the eShop."

Unfortunately, my understanding is that only Pikmin 3 (already own), NSMBU (already own), Wind Waker (already own), and Wii Party U (really couldn't care less about) are on tap for the U.S. in this program. All others are Europe only. I still want to purchase the game, just would have been nice to be more excited about this promotion. I'm certainly glad they are doing it though.

As for some of the comments regarding Super Mario 3D World (the 'cat' one), my wife bought it for me on a recent trip to NYC where she stopped at NintendoWorld, and we are absolutely loving it! I highly recommend it.

I have a friend that is the biggest microsoft fan . All he did was talk bad about the wiiu but hes giving in finally . He has slowly been mentioning good things about the console . He still claims hes only buying it for Mario Kart but he keeps bringing up other games and how they look good . :lol: I am really excited about Mario Kart , it looks awesome . Not to mention DK Tropical Freeze looks good .

I have a friend that is the biggest microsoft fan . All he did was talk bad about the wiiu but hes giving in finally . He has slowly been mentioning good things about the console . He still claims hes only buying it for Mario Kart but he keeps bringing up other games and how they look good . :lol: I am really excited about Mario Kart , it looks awesome . Not to mention DK Tropical Freeze looks good .

I have a friend that, while not bashing the Wii U, was first in line for this current/new generation with the XBOX One. Never thought he would cave for a Wii U, but after talking to him a lot about it, he did about a month ago. Now his family is playing it far more than their One. The Wii U is a solid system with some fantastic first party games, it just needs to keep it up with more frequent high-quality releases.

As for some of the comments regarding Super Mario 3D World (the 'cat' one), my wife bought it for me on a recent trip to NYC where she stopped at NintendoWorld, and we are absolutely loving it! I highly recommend it.

I'll get that eventually but I've been burned out on Mario for 20 years. lol Is it hard like Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze? My wife and kid won't play hard platformers like that so its always a waste when only I play the game on my own but its Mario...so eventually I'll get it.

Wish they could make some original games with other characters or bring back some titles that have disappeared for a while.

Whatever happened to Starfox or maybe a 2D console version of Zelda? Not that I'm completely sick of 3D Zelda ;)

I would love to see a flying game like Starfox or Star Wars X-Wing with the gamepad being used for cool stuff like a map of the galaxy or shield levels of your ship etc.

There's so much creativity and everyone is too scared to try anything else, even Nintendo it seems.

• Like 1

I'll get that eventually but I've been burned out on Mario for 20 years. lol Is it hard like Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze? My wife and kid won't play hard platformers like that so its always a waste when only I play the game on my own but its Mario...so eventually I'll get it.

I haven't tried DK:TF yet. But, I'd say that 3D World is definitely easier than NSMB:U. My wife and I will play that together and sometimes with one of my gamer buddies, but not so much the kids (though they love to watch!). But with 3D World I'll play with both my girls, the youngest being 4. Don't get me wrong, most of the time her character is in her little 'hidey-hole bubble', but she can get around at least.

• Like 1

Super Mario 3D World is pretty easy. There are some really tough stages near the end of the game, and the unlockable bonus worlds are super tough, but 90% of the regular game is pretty simple. It's good, simple, polished fun.

DKC:TF is one tough cookie, just like DKCR was on the Wii. I'm up to World 5 right now, and it's definitely starting to get kind of crazy.

I'd have to say I'm real excited about Mario Kart 8. Talk about some eye candy. It also looks like Nintendo went all out on this one and the attention to detail. Just watch the Mario Kart 8 direct video on the wii U store. It's 38 minutes.. but worth a watch... and tons of little humorous remarks if you really pay attention. I was chuckling the whole time.

Anywho I'm stuck between Wind Waker and Wii Party U on the freebies. I already have New Super Mario Bros. U but would like to get the luigi addition.

Also it's really nice to see the GBA virtual consoles finally making their debut. It seems like I've been waiting forever.

Now if only Sony could get their act together on the ps1/psp stuff with the vita.

Edited by Shannon

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think Nintendo Land is a really good game, both from a single and multi-player perspective. Once you get used to the games inside the collection and begin figuring out how to perform better and begin unlocking stuff regularly, it becomes quite addictive. Some of the games, like the Balloon Fight game, can get very challenging when you unlock the longer/harder courses. One thing to note about Nintendo Land is that some games are clearly geared towards either single player, or multi-player, not usually both.