IGNORED

Mario Kart 8 (free game with purchase, WindWaker etc)

cimerians

People have been selling their codes for $15-$20 on other forums/ebay. Not sure if they're selling the Club Nintendo code or if there's a final step that gives you a different code for game download.

I'll probably re-sell just because I don't want to 'own' anything as a download if there's a retail disc available... esp from Nintendo.

Hmmmm....I like the game and we unlocked a ton of stuff over the weekend but somehow I feel the same old "been there done that" with Nintendo games. I can't shake the feeling. :(

Anyway I picked up Pikmin 3.

If you don't want a 'been there done that' feeling, Pikmin 3 was the wrong purchase. I actually love Nintendo IPs and can get immense enjoyment from new installments in the series, even if there's little difference. Pikmin 3 was the exception. I couldn't get more than half way through the game, as I got extremely bored with it. Maybe it's because while I enjoyed the first 2, I never had the 'love' for it that I do for other Nintendo properties.

Edit:

I just realized you probably got Pikmin 3 for free through the registration promotion. My comments are still mostly valid though.

I got the limited edition and I was surprised by the size of the Blue Shell statue, I was expecting in to be tiny. Also got a couple of Nintendo mini-figs because I pre-ordered.

attachicon.gifIMG_20140531_194407.JPG

The game has been played almost non-stop all day by the whole family. Definitely one of the best Mario Kart games. The MKTV replays are great, especially when you hold down the B button for slow motion.

I'm about to try to register for the free game game. The kids have decided they want Game and Wario. If it doesn't work I'll try again in a few days.

UPDATE: Registering on Club Nintendo was slow and I had to refresh some of the webpage a few times before it worked, but once I got the download code for the free game and put it into the Wii U eshop it has started to download with no problems. However US customers probably use a different server.

Dangit, why must you taunt us with those awesome blue shell statues? I'm so heartbroken we didn't get these in the states... :_(

I went with downloading a free NSMB U because I haven't even finished/fully played the first two Pikmin's yet--or even the minigame in NintendoLand--despite enjoying the games. At some point I will probably just buy Wii Party, as it is the cheapest of the lot.

Predictably, I love the new Mario Kart and will likely devote many, many hours of my life to online racing. This game just speaks to me like no other and I am glad I spent all that time learning tracks on the DS while commuting. The funny thing is that I have been trying to triple-star them in Mirror Mode for so long that I got slightly confused by the non-reversed tracks.

I paid full retail and tax for the disc version at Gamestop and realized as I was checking out that this might be my last physical game purchase for a current console. I have a deluxe version with plenty of room, but I just wanted the real deal for this one last game.

Not sure if this was brought up in another thread or not but I noticed yesterday when switching to Wii mode that they actually allow you now to display the Wii screen on the gamepad. An obvious "hint" that there is some connection between the two in Wii mode.

Regardless you cannot use the gamepad to do anything. You still have to use the Wii remote and accessories and it's kind if strange playing the Wii on such a small screen. But interesting non the less.

Yeah, it's had that capability for quite some time now. I've been crossing my fingers they enable the Wii U gamepad to at least act as a classic controller, but it hasn't happened yet. It would be nice to at least be able to play SOME Wii games on the gamepad, with the gamepad.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I traded Scribblenauts Unlimited in box (like brand new) for Metal Ghost's download code, and got Zelda Wind Waker with it. I later last weekend ended up getting Mario Kart 8, and holy cow it's a lot of fun - last one I really played was Double Dash - I wasn't a huge fan of MKWii, but this one is hooking me. It might be a combination of my new TV (60" 1080p plasma) combined with the gorgeous graphics - this is the first game I've put time into on the new screen and wow it's mesmerizing. I used the code that came with my mario kart to pick up pikmen 3, which I haven't booted up yet. Overall, the past couple weeks have been very eventful for my lonely little launch wii u :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Looks like an update to Mario Kart 8 is coming:

- Players will be able to display a map of the racetrack on their TV screen.

- The game will save the player's most recent vehicle combination

- Players will be able to edit one another's highlight reels.

- Improved online stability

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-announced-some-good-stuff-thats-coming-to-mari-1616894430

Looks like an update to Mario Kart 8 is coming:

- Players will be able to display a map of the racetrack on their TV screen.

- The game will save the player's most recent vehicle combination

- Players will be able to edit one another's highlight reels.

- Improved online stability

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-announced-some-good-stuff-thats-coming-to-mari-1616894430

Don't forget about the Mercedes Benz DLC too!

Don't forget about the Mercedes Benz DLC too!

I'm predicting the Benz will be one of two configurations:

1) Standard Kart / Standard Wheel stats, or

2) It will match the high top speed / low acceleration stats or the Mach 8 / Circuit Special / Sports Coupe, which everyone pairs with the Slick wheels and a heavywieght for time trials.

I'm hoping it's not #2 because I really don't want everyone and their moma using it for time trials, though it would be good business for Mercedes if Nintendo made it match the fastest carts.

There are actually three Mercedes cars available. An open wheeled race car, a roadster, and a SUV. The price is right, I will download and try it out, even if it does seem out of place in a cartoony cart racing game.

It's free.. that is about as priced right as one can get.