IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

I get that they can't obtain certain permissions - but no Ladybug or Mousetrap was a -big- disappointment for me.

I dunno, I haven't ruled out a purchase, but of the included games, two-thirds are filler imho. They didn't include at least a dozen games that I would have really liked to have been included. One aspect I don't get: why no Atarisoft titles? I guess Atari thought it would undercut sales of the Atari version Flashback?

I'll probably break down and buy one. Hopefully it'll sell well, and we'll get more of the big name games in a CV FB2.

• Like 1

I get that they can't obtain certain permissions - but no Ladybug or Mousetrap was a -big- disappointment for me.

I dunno, I haven't ruled out a purchase, but of the included games, two-thirds are filler imho. They didn't include at least a dozen games that I would have really liked to have been included. One aspect I don't get: why no Atarisoft titles? I guess Atari thought it would undercut sales of the Atari version Flashback?

I'll probably break down and buy one. Hopefully it'll sell well, and we'll get more of the big name games in a CV FB2.

Keep in mind that most Atarisoft titles were not Atari titles, meaning Atari didn't have the original rights to them. To include them today you'd need to get the license from the original companies. For instance, The Atarisoft port of Jungle Hunt is on there and the rights weren't granted by Atari, but rather by Taito.

• Like 1

Agreed. I played mine for about 2 hours before missing too many of the other games and going back to emulation on my PSP, Xperia Play, and PCs. I am considering putting a Raspberry Pi in it so the entire original CV library is available, but that's so not a priority that it will probably take 5 years for me to get to it :D

Don't get me wrong... there are some great titles on the Flashback, but when playing it I can't help but be reminded of my favorite CV games that are missing: Beamrider, BC's Quest for Tires, Boulder Dash, Buck Rogers Planet of Zoom, Burgertime, Carnival, Centipede, Congo Bongo, Defender, Donkey Kong, Frogger, Frontline, Galaxian, Gorf, Gyruss, Lady Bug, Pitstop, Popeye, Q-bert, Slither, Smurf Rescue in Gargomel's Castle, Spy Hunter, Star Wars Arcade, Tapper, Turbo, and Tutankham.

Of course, if I didn't know those games existed, if the system wasn't a favorite then and now, I wouldn't know what I was missing and wouldn't miss them. You know, "ignorance is bliss." :D

That's a lot of games. So I guess AtGames licensed whatever they could get their hands on. Still for what it is, it's a fun diversion. :)

• Like 2

Would it be possible to make some kind of adapter so that people could use real Colecovision controllers on this flashback unit? Also, is there a list somewhere that documents which games on this Colecovision Flashback have inaccuracies, compared to the originals?

What do you mean by inaccuracies? It is the same code the only thing you are going to have a problem with is the emulator screwing up the sound or the speed of the game.

• Like 1

Picked the CV flashback up today, and color me underwhelmed. Several good games, but the controllers aren't that great. Frenzy on level one is way too fast. The little manual booklet doesn't give you all the info you need to get into some of the more involved adventure type games..

I'd give this thing a 2 1/2 out of 5.

• Like 1

I got a Colecovision Flashback for Christmas as a person who never owned or play anything on a Colecovision before.

I am saying this as a person in his mid 30's that grew up enjoy playing Atari 2600 and Atari 7800 games before owning a NES in 1991. Lets say people outside of the Internet know that I indoor playing older game systems.

I don't know how accurate the Flashback is compare to them being on a real Colecovision system in terms of first hand experience, but I do enjoy it.

I hope a 2nd version of Colecovision Flashback is made.

Edited by 8th lutz
  • Like 8

That's pretty close to my experience, lutz. I'm 38 and never had a Colecovision back in the day, and very limited exposure to the games. I had a 2600 but that was it before moving on to the NES and other post crash systems. For what it is, the Colecovision Flashback is fine for me. The arcade ports are quite good and I'm enjoying some of the other games and homebrews on it. For a casual game player like myself, it fits the need perfectly. I just have to get a upgraded controller when/if Yurki or Willie get those in production. :)

• Like 5

Okay, I've had the time to play my Flashback...

First, I have to say that the controls are faithful to the real controllers -- as in, they are horrible, just like the stock sticks. (I was amused when Omega Race asked me which kind of controller I wanted to use. Do I get a choice on this for real?) I'm hoping someone comes up with an adaptor to use the CV's upgraded controllers, too.

Second, I admit I did not have a CV growing up, and I think there was one guy down the street who had an Adam but he never showed me it in action. My reason for wanting to see a Flashback 2 with some more licensed titles is because the games I associate with the Colecovision as why it's on par with or better than an Atari 2600 are by and large not included. Zaxxon is one example of where the CV shined and got included in the Flashback, credit where it is due, but... All this talk a week or two ago about how Coleco made the CV version of Donkey Kong better than that for the 2600 or INTV only makes me want to see the proof, since I only saw magazine ad images back in the day.

Third, I guess this isn't a knock on the Flashback per se, but it's surprising to me how many CV games on the Flashback resemble Apple // games played on an 8-color monitor. I'm aware that at the time the Apple versions came out, that's all we had -- Bounty Bob for example. I expected a notch above that from a console. So the knock on the Flashback would be that I miss using a keyboard to control characters (in games that look like 1980s home computer games) since the included controllers are not as precise. I'm enjoying Venture until I try to move in a room or shoot.

I'm happy to have the Flashback, and was aware of the criticisms before asking Santa for it, and appreciate the efforts to make it as reminiscent in experience and appearance to the console it's copying, But I have to chalk it up to a 'first effort' in some respects, and (this is a backhanded compliment) how it accurately portrayed the suckage of the stock sticks and some games. I hope that there will be a Flashback 2 that continues the saga. And that AtGames will have a chat with Kevin Horton about including that first ever CV homebrew, Kevtris, seeing how there were some homebrew games on the Flashback. (Now if only Kevin had finished his intended second project, a Zookeeper clone...)

• Like 5

For the 26 bucks my wife paid for it, I love the thing. Better controllers than any of the five partially working real coleco ones I have, way better output than the crap rf on my real coleco, and comes with real and homebrew games even if some greats were inevitably left out (I was worried they'd load it with shovelware filler a la the sega (?) one, snake, checkers, etc ).

Have the Intellivision one sitting here unopened--hope to like it as much once I get to it.

• Like 5

For the 26 bucks my wife paid for it, I love the thing. Better controllers than any of the five partially working real coleco ones I have, way better output than the crap rf on my real coleco, and comes with real and homebrew games even if some greats were inevitably left out (I was worried they'd load it with shovelware filler a la the sega (?) one, snake, checkers, etc ).

Have the Intellivision one sitting here unopened--hope to like it as much once I get to it.

Where did she get it for $26? The cheapest I've seen it was $30 on sale at Family Dollar, but that sale is over.

Where did she get it for $26? The cheapest I've seen it was $30 on sale at Family Dollar, but that sale is over.

I believe it was Dollar General, and this was definitely pre Xmas (it was my xmas present after all) but AFTER Black Friday. She told me she actually ended up ordering them online and got free shipping...apparently it was a last ditch shot by her since our two local dollar stores (Family and General) were sold out. I was shocked she was able to get them at a decent price online.

I believe it was Dollar General, and this was definitely pre Xmas (it was my xmas present after all) but AFTER Black Friday. She told me she actually ended up ordering them online and got free shipping...apparently it was a last ditch shot by her since our two local dollar stores (Family and General) were sold out. I was shocked she was able to get them at a decent price online.

Yes I think it was someone here that told everyone they could go on line and get dollar general sale price on thanksgiving with free shipping. Pretty amazing and way better than fighting all the people at the store. Like I would know what that is anyway, another amazon christmas in the books, no reason to ever see a store. :)

• Like 2

I'm buying more and more stuff online: anything I'm willing to wait on for a few days, I'm willing to get online.

I've also ordered stuff online to ship to the "brick & mortar" local store front. I like doing that, as then shipping is usually free.

Edited by ls650
  • Like 3

I had a Colecovison as a kid. I had Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Zaxxon, Buck Rogers, Miner 2049'er, Mr. Do, Star Wars: The Arcade Game, Time Pilot, the Super Action Controllers w/Baseball and the Roller Controller w/Slither. I loved my Colecovision back in the day and played it and the Atari 2600 to death.

I usually avoid these types of retro remake consoles, because the emulation and control is always off when compared to the real hardware and isn't usually even as good as emulators for computers.

I was running some errands a few days ago and ended up near a TRU and remembered that they sold the CV Flashback. Impulse buy, especially since I only owned a few of the games being offered in the CV Flashback and I wanted to relive the CV glory days from my youth. I also loved Miner 2049'er and Zaxxon on the CV and was really looking forward to playing those. Montezuma's Revenge was also one of my favorite platfomers on the 2600 and was looking forward to playing the CV version.

Just like all the other retro flashback consoles I've tried, the emulation isn't even as good as you'll find on the PC and the controllers are worse than the stock controller. It makes games that require precise control a pain to play (especially platformers like 2049'er and Montezuma's), when compared to the original or even compared to an emulator on the PC. Oh well.

Edited by Major Havoc 2049
  • Like 1

I've read a few negative comments about the latest Flashbacks, but I went ahead and bought the Intellivision version. I am pleasantly surprised by it. It isn't perfect, but it's better than I thought it would be, and I've been enjoying playing with it quite a bit.

I decided to bite the bullet and ordered a Coleco version today. I know it's not doing as well in reviews as the Inty, but I'm going to give it a try.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that most Atarisoft titles were not Atari titles, meaning Atari didn't have the original rights to them. To include them today you'd need to get the license from the original companies. For instance, The Atarisoft port of Jungle Hunt is on there and the rights weren't granted by Atari, but rather by Taito.

Actually, when I talked to Mark back in July he said he did negotiate with Atari Interactive as well for those. He'd legally have to. While Atari licensed the IP, it's still their game code and physical port. We had a long conversation on the tribulations of needing to go to multiple companies for the licensing of these types of ports in fact.

Edited by Retro Rogue
  • Like 2

What games would you include?

Mr. Do!, Frenzy, Q*Bert, Gorf, Venture, Carnival, Popeye, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Smurf Rescue, Q*Bert's Qubes, Pitfall, Time Pilot, Zaxxon, Lady Bug, Mouse Trap, BurgerTime, Galaxian, Frogger, Mr. Do's Castle, Pitfall II, Time Pilot, Antarctic Adventure, Cosmic Avenger, River Raid, Jumpman Jr., Pepper II, Defender, Dragonfire, Jungle Hunt, Miner 2049er, Tutankham, War Games, Mario Bros. (HB), Galaga (HB)

Edited by Justin222
  • Like 1