IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

I wish there was a list of which games on the Colecovision Flashback work/play like they're supposed to, and which ones don't. And what the differences are.

In my opinion, you're overthinking it. The major differences are tonal differences with the sound and minor color variations across the board. Squish 'em Sam is missing the speech. The Heist runs at about half speed. Everything else is more or less what you would expect on a real ColecoVision or in emulation.

The controller is also not what you'd get on a real ColecoVision. The joystick nub shaft is much shorter and the controller itself is a bit smaller. The buttons also feel different.

• Like 4

What about the video game Slurpy?

Thought Slurpy was a frozen beverage from the Kwiki-Mart? :P

The controller is also not what you'd get on a real ColecoVision. The joystick nub shaft is much shorter and the controller itself is a bit smaller. The buttons also feel different.

Um, I've never felt a real Colecovision Cotroller, so i have an unbiased opinion: it's not that bad... :P Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

I know I'm probably poking the hornet's nest, but honestly I can't complain about the cv flashback. Its a $40 piece of plastic made in china, not made to be an exact duplicate of the original. This allows us to bring the coleco to a new generation of gamers (even though most people who buy these probably already have/had a coleco) and I would much rather have what we do than to have nothing at all. Thank you ATGames (and especially for the intv flashback)!

• Like 4

Thought Slurpy was a frozen beverage from the Kwiki-Mart? :P

Um, I've never felt a real Colecovision Cotroller, so i have an unbiased opinion: it's not that bad... :P

I don't feel like I have a inherent bias against any controller since I use so many different ones. Even if I didn't know what a ColecoVision controller was, I really can't control things well with the Flashback version. It's difficult for me to hit diagonals and I also can't seem to reliably press the keypad buttons. I think if the shaft were just a bit longer it might solve those issues, but I'm not sure. I'm hoping AtGames is able to do a redesign, but based on what I've seen so far, I don't know how likely that is. I'm going to continue to suggest it, though.

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 1

In my opinion, you're overthinking it. The major differences are tonal differences with the sound and minor color variations across the board. Squish 'em Sam is missing the speech. The Heist runs at about half speed. Everything else is more or less what you would expect on a real ColecoVision or in emulation.

Yeah, I tend to over think a lot of things. I honestly don't mind the controller for most of the games. I think the main problem with the joystick is that it's not high enough above the rest of the controller. I think the buttons and the rest of the controller feel just fine. But I've never used an original Colecovision controller, because I've never owned a Colecovision.

• Like 1

I can't complain about the cv flashback.

I've owned a 'real' Colecovision, and I'm also fairly happy with the Flashback. Is it perfect? Heck no, but I think the quality of emulation is okay, and the controllers are a decent-enough approximation of the real deal. If I have any real complaint, it's simply that the library is missing a fair number of games I'd really have liked to have seen included - no doubt due to licencing issues.
  • Like 2

I don't feel like I have a inherent bias against any controller since I use so many different ones. Even if I didn't know what a ColecoVision controller was, I really can't control things well with the Flashback version. It's difficult for me to hit diagonals and I also can't seem to reliably press the keypad buttons. I think if the shaft were just a bit longer it might solve those issues, but I'm not sure. I'm hoping AtGames is able to do a redesign, but based on what I've seen so far, I don't know how likely that is. I'm going to continue to suggest it, though.

Diagonals are pretty easy. I didn't have trouble rolling between U and U+L or U+R during my Antarctic Adventure play. It's a lot like playing Rad Racer but with an added jump mechanic.

• Like 2

For those of you who live where there is a Meier's superstore, I just picked up a Colecovision flashback on clearance for $15. They had plenty of Colecovision and Intellivision ones available at least at this store. Get them while they last!! :)

I got mine for $20 at Dollar General but $15 is a steal. You really can't go wrong at that price.

• Like 3

I think if the shaft were just a bit longer it might solve those issues, but I'm not sure.

I'd toss in a "That's what she said!" here, but "she" would probably just find something else to complain about. ;P

You know, I kind of wonder if there's anyone out there who is extremely upset with AtGames' execution of the Intellivision Flashback because "it is absolutely nothing like the original Techno Source Intellivision from 2003!"

onmode-ky

• Like 2

You know, I kind of wonder if there's anyone out there who is extremely upset with AtGames' execution of the Intellivision Flashback because "it is absolutely nothing like the original Techno Source Intellivision from 2003!"

Nah but it's absolutely nothing like the original Tele-Games Sears Super Video Arcade from 1980. ;)

1024px-SuperVideoArcade.jpg

Edited by Tron Unit
  • Like 1

I have fallen in love with my ColecoVision Flashback... all thanks to this:

post-9364-0-03177800-1422979388_thumb.jpg

This may be as close to a perfect Colecovision controller as possible (without adding a pair of buttons to the top). It simply must be played to appreciate how awesome it is. The ball knob (from knobs direct) has just the right weight and just the right size to give the perfect Coleco joystick feel. This is the controller Coleco should have made in '82. The ball is mounted on a screw with the tip flattened off and gently screwed into the square hole of the FB controller.

Nearly all major gripes have been addressed:

• Side buttons have to be pressed too far; spring too stiff; etc. Fixed. The FB controller already addressed that by making the buttons like any other gamepad with rubber domes. The only other improvement would be to add a pair of buttons to the top as an option.
  • Thumb stick/joy stick too short for a joystick and too tall for a thumb stick. Spring too stiff and takes too much force to move. Horrible diagonals. Leav Fixed. The FB contoller has an excellent D-Pad configuration and adding a ball gives perfect control, even over diagonals.
  • Hand cramps: Fixed. With the ease of pressing the buttons and the ease of moving the stick, I've gotten no cramps after long play sessions.

The proof is in the scoring! I love the game Frenzy, but never last more than a few minutes. Last night I played for so long that I had to actually quit to get some sleep rather than losing all my lives. That really says something. I had over 30,000 points and could have kept going if it had not been getting so late.

I'm enjoying games that I've never been able to play before, like Jumpman Junior. I've seen almost all the levels, where before, I couldn't get past the second. Antarctic Adventure plays soooo much better with great control of speeding up, slowing down, and steering.

I absolutely hate the original Colecovision controller and they kept me from enjoying my Coleco as a kid. I actually never played it for years because of them. I hate them so much, but love my Coleco so much, that I've spent a lot of money on different attempts to have a better controller. In fact, it wasn't until I realized a few years ago that an Atari7800 gamepad would work, that I ever even got into playing my Coleco. IMO, they are the worst controllers I've ever used... yes, even worse than the 5200 controllers. Finally, these modded FB controllers would be a solution, if only they were compatible with an original Colecovision.

Only things left to improve:

Make overlays the same size as original controllers.

Add pair of buttons to top as an option to use instead of side buttons.

That would be the perfect controller for a 2nd revision Flashback. I simply cannot overstate how great this controller feels now.

• Like 2

I have fallen in love with my ColecoVision Flashback... all thanks to this:

attachicon.gifIMG_20150203_022818.jpg

This may be as close to a perfect Colecovision controller as possible (without adding a pair of buttons to the top). It simply must be played to appreciate how awesome it is. The ball knob (from knobs direct) has just the right weight and just the right size to give the perfect Coleco joystick feel. This is the controller Coleco should have made in '82. The ball is mounted on a screw with the tip flattened off and gently screwed into the square hole of the FB controller.

Nearly all major gripes have been addressed:

• Side buttons have to be pressed too far; spring too stiff; etc. Fixed. The FB controller already addressed that by making the buttons like any other gamepad with rubber domes. The only other improvement would be to add a pair of buttons to the top as an option.
  • Thumb stick/joy stick too short for a joystick and too tall for a thumb stick. Spring too stiff and takes too much force to move. Horrible diagonals. Leav Fixed. The FB contoller has an excellent D-Pad configuration and adding a ball gives perfect control, even over diagonals.
  • Hand cramps: Fixed. With the ease of pressing the buttons and the ease of moving the stick, I've gotten no cramps after long play sessions.

The proof is in the scoring! I love the game Frenzy, but never last more than a few minutes. Last night I played for so long that I had to actually quit to get some sleep rather than losing all my lives. That really says something. I had over 30,000 points and could have kept going if it had not been getting so late.

I'm enjoying games that I've never been able to play before, like Jumpman Junior. I've seen almost all the levels, where before, I couldn't get past the second. Antarctic Adventure plays soooo much better with great control of speeding up, slowing down, and steering.

I absolutely hate the original Colecovision controller and they kept me from enjoying my Coleco as a kid. I actually never played it for years because of them. I hate them so much, but love my Coleco so much, that I've spent a lot of money on different attempts to have a better controller. In fact, it wasn't until I realized a few years ago that an Atari7800 gamepad would work, that I ever even got into playing my Coleco. IMO, they are the worst controllers I've ever used... yes, even worse than the 5200 controllers. Finally, these modded FB controllers would be a solution, if only they were compatible with an original Colecovision.

Only things left to improve:

Make overlays the same size as original controllers.

Add pair of buttons to top as an option to use instead of side buttons.

That would be the perfect controller for a 2nd revision Flashback. I simply cannot overstate how great this controller feels now.

Did you mod it yourself? If not, where can I get a couple of those?

That's basically the Yurkie controller mod and I think he gets those ball knobs from Knobs Direct too. Did you have to use that special twist tool (forget what it's called) to score the threads into the FB stems? That's the one thing about the FB controllers that concerns me though is that the neck stems are not only shorter but also narrower than the OEM Coleco controllers and seem as though they are more likely to snap off.

That's basically the Yurkie controller mod and I think he gets those ball knobs from Knobs Direct too. Did you have to use that special twist tool (forget what it's called) to score the threads into the FB stems? That's the one thing about the FB controllers that concerns me though is that the neck stems are not only shorter but also narrower than the OEM Coleco controllers and seem as though they are more likely to snap off.

Yes, those "neck stems" are 1/4 inch square plastic and internally, the flaps that press down on contact(s) are even thinner, and one or both WILL fatigue, and break off, over time.

Now, maybe one can completely control oneself and NEVER exert more pounds of force than is required for contact activation, but my experience indicates that's a practical impossibility.

Perhaps if that plastic part was steel or even aluminum, then maybe they would be OK, but not 1/4 inch plastic. Despite it's flaws, the original controller with a Yurkie ball top is better.

Did you have to use that special twist tool (forget what it's called) to score the threads into the FB stems? That's the one thing about the FB controllers that concerns me though is that the neck stems are not only shorter but also narrower than the OEM Coleco controllers and seem as though they are more likely to snap off.

post-9364-0-83139400-1423001662_thumb.jpg

Fortunately, the narrow stems don't attach the same way as the original controllers. You can pull the stem straight out, revealing a square hole. It's just the size of some screws I had, so I cut off the tip and head with a dremel and epoxy'd it into the ball knob. From there, I just screwed the new knob into the hole, being careful not to screw too far (it only takes a few turns), and it provides a very strong connection that will not easily break off. Of course, you could break anything if you really try, but this new joystick knob is plenty durable. I played for a few hours on several games and it feels incredible. I absolutely love this and I'd like more people to experience it to see for themselves.

Now, I need to get one if these modified to work with the original Colecovision. This is SO much better than an original controller in every way (yes, even one modified with a ball knob). It's by far my favorite Coleco controller -- even much better than the Amiga PowerStick.