IGNORED

Adventure Demo - 7800basic

Hi everybody, I have not found a thread of presentations at this forum, so ...
I'm from Montevideo Uruguay. In my ten years old, my father gave me a TK90 (Brazilian clone of ZX Spectrum) with whom I spent several summers of my youth programming in BASIC and some Z80 Assembler.

I saw this post and I am shocked O_O
Which programs you used to compile the BASIC to ".bin"?
I want to learn to do this immediately, because even though I have all retro consoles, but the 7800 is the most love.

greetings and thanks!!

PS: I'm already recording the .bin in a 27C256 :-D

Welcome to the community, tacha!

The demo was made with 7800basic, which is a compiled version of BASIC. You write the source code on a modern computer and compile it to the a78/bin formats.

Thanks for the welcome!!
Exist a way to make me a cartridge to contain the latest version? I'm looking long as containing 128kb and I did not find info about it. I have several EPROM but can not find schematics for a custom cartridge. Some link?

Thank you very much as always ...

Jjejej ... I have the Adventure8.bin running on my ATARI 7800 right now :D

Sorry for my poor english :s
Edited by tacha

Thanks for the welcome!!
Exist a way to make me a cartridge to contain the latest version? I'm looking long as containing 128kb and I did not find info about it. I have several EPROM but can not find schematics for a custom cartridge. Some link?

Jjejej ... I have the Adventure8.bin running on my ATARI 7800 right now :D

Sorry for my poor english :s

It's not released yet, but the Harmony Concerto is coming out which will support SD card with 2600 and 7800 ROMs played on a 7800.

• Like 2

Thanks for the welcome!!

http://atarihq.com/danb/7800cart/a7800cart.shtml

• Like 3

Good use of those rainbow pallets. Are the different colors based on multiple strengths of the same enemy? For instance, one enemy might be in shades of green, red, and finally blue in order of ascending attack strength and health. Most adventure/RPG games I've played used stronger variants of the same enemies as I progressed through the levels.

The Atari 7800 does display far more colors than the original NES. I always liked that the color pallets of the Atari and NES and other early 8-bit systems are hue/luminosity based rather than limited RGB. RGB based pallets that assign 2 or 3 bytes per channel don't handle gradients as well as hue/luminosity based color pallets. Often the blue channel got shafted.

Edited by stardust4ever

Good use of those rainbow pallets. Are the different colors based on multiple strengths of the same enemy? For instance, one enemy might be in shades of green, red, and finally blue in order of ascending attack strength and health. Most adventure/RPG games I've played used stronger variants of the same enemies as I progressed through the levels.

Pretty much. Just like most early games did to indicate easy or difficult enemies with the use of different colors, it also provides recycling of sprites if the programmer didn't have much space in the ROM to work with. In my case I like to give examples of what the use of color does to and for a sprite.

• Like 1

Great job as always Illya - good to see you're still cranking out sprite artwork!

I'm inspired by the great work of others, including all the great works you've done my friend. :)

So PacMan Red - does this mean someone is making use of your terrific artwork? :-)

I would hope so. :P Credit is all I ask for if my work is used directly, but, then again, a couple bucks or a copy of the finished cart would be nothing to sneeze at. :)

Well, if they're not, then good gravy, they seriously ought to be! :D These look epic, Illya!

Thank you, I do spend quite a few hours on some of them until I'm happy. Perfectionism has it's downside. ;)

Is Atarious Maximus still working on the ROM in the OP? He and Pacman Red need to team up. Seriously. Throw in some collision detection and basic AI and you will have the most epic 7800 'brew in the history or 7800 'brews! :D

It's kinda how things tend to roll with my work. I'll see a programmer working on a game, and liking what I see, I will jump in and help as much as I possibly can.

• Like 2