IGNORED

CENTRON 3D - End of level screen shot

rpc_games

Hi Guys, I was so pleased with myself that I had to show you the end of level anim (well screen shot).

The background says WINNER and the red spheres are rotating around the WINNER while the 2 girls are doin' their thang !

The anim looks quite funny with no music but sound FX and music is last on the list. And YES, it's using our CMODE.

Not much memory left for 64k users so hopefully I can squeeze our tracker routing in there as well. If not I'll have to cut the anim down to half. End of level music is so important.

Pete

Manager

RPC-Games!

post-39099-0-34477400-1402882427_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Such effects have been done in demos and at somewhat higher resolution, so it's nothing out of the realms of possibility.

The advantage of an 80x48 mode is that the memory use is under 2K per frame, so about 3840 bytes for 2 frames when doing a blended mode.

Additionally, doing manipulation of objects means that large softsprites are entirely possible.

• Like 1

Is anyone else thinking that this guy is completely full of shit?

-Thom

Well, having been a Jaguar owner since 95 I tend to think this of everyone. However, I then feel guilty about such things so always tend to give the benefit of the doubt. I have no stakes in this, so if we get a game cool, if not, none of my time has been wasted.

That being said, I do tend to think there will be a release. If there isn't, you can all feel free to neg me and respond with a big "told you so!" :)

• Like 3

@ Stephen: Can I say I TOLD YOU SO now? hehehe

Another 2 weeks and Centron 3D should be completed.

Pete

Such effects have been done in demos and at somewhat higher resolution, so it's nothing out of the realms of possibility.

The advantage of an 80x48 mode is that the memory use is under 2K per frame, so about 3840 bytes for 2 frames when doing a blended mode.

Additionally, doing manipulation of objects means that large softsprites are entirely possible.

They certainly are :)

• Like 1

Health and Safety info!

This is really going to be GREAT.

@rpcgames

Hehe ...what about this ... you are gaming... in the middle of centron 3D... players blood pressure is getting higher ad higher... you are just about to win... the temperature of the joystick is getting sky-high... your atari 8bit is enjoying every single second of this moment and then completely unexpected.... there is this message:

YOU HAVE PLAYED THE GAME NOW FOR 4 HOURS... TIME FOR A REST!

YOUR ATARI WILL SHUTDOWN FOR 24 HOURS NOW!

NO MORE CENTRON 3D FOR YOU!

That would be an awesome Health and Safety message :D

;)

• Like 1

And, No in game screen shots for 2 reasons.

1, I'm still working on the main code.

2, Don't want to spoil the surprise for true Atarians.

If you want to release a game in two weeks I would hope you guys are debugging and testing now instead of beeing in the middle of coding a (3D-) game engine. As for (2) this forum supports spoiler tags (although I do not know where to find them.. ) )

Considering these facts, you have to admit that people might think like tschak909.

I am a very sceptical guy myself and the way you entered this forum with the game announcement "Best game ever on 8-Bit" makes me, well, sceptical :)

As others said, I'd love to be proofen wrong. So DO IT :)

Even if the game flickers like hell and I won't play it on my TV set, it might encourage NRV to make a real game with his "wolf engine" :P

• Like 1

yup. have a look on PSX and Nintendo games warnings at boot time.

In the 80's we had a TV commercial in The Netherlands, about Heinz Tomato Ketchup. There were two people (a man and a woman) eating fries and they were only looking at their plates. The voice asked: do you indeed prefer Heinz Tomato Ketchup above other brands?

They answered: which other brands? Looked at each other, start giggling and continued eating.

A zillion Heinz commercials on Youtube, but not this one (found another with Joey from friends!)

That was the feeling I had when you started about Nintendo ;)

Atari only here ;)

• Like 1

Health and Safety info!

This is really going to be GREAT.

@rpcgames

Hehe ...what about this ... you are gaming... in the middle of centron 3D... players blood pressure is getting higher ad higher... you are just about to win... the temperature of the joystick is getting sky-high... your atari 8bit is enjoying every single second of this moment and then completely unexpected.... there is this message:

YOU HAVE PLAYED THE GAME NOW FOR 4 HOURS... TIME FOR A REST!

YOUR ATARI WILL SHUTDOWN FOR 24 HOURS NOW!

NO MORE CENTRON 3D FOR YOU!

That would be an awesome Health and Safety message :D

;)

@PROWIZARD: HAHAHAHAHA You crack me up !!!! Wouldn't that be something :) hehehehe :)

@CreatureXL: Did I say "Best game ever on Atari 8-bit? Where did I say that. I must of had too many Jim Beams at the time if I did.

I've never seen a game like Centron 3D with over 72 individual colours on a scan line before.

If their is a game like that please let me know, and I'm not talking about a DEMO either. NRV's Wolf engine is truly magic and powerful.

Pete

• Like 1

@CreatureXL: Did I say "Best game ever on Atari 8-bit? Where did I say that. I must of had too many Jim Beams at the time if I did.

I've never seen a game like Centron 3D with over 72 individual colours on a scan line before.

If their is a game like that please let me know, and I'm not talking about a DEMO either. NRV's Wolf engine is truly magic and powerful.

You are right, I was too lazy to check the post. You haven't said that. And it wasn't your first post either.

Guess your second. Now I use your real words:

"We'll be pushing Antic, Gtia and the 6502 to it's limits and we'll be writing highly optimized 6502 code for the fastest 3D routines we can."

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/224811-new-atari-8-bit-game-in-production-by-rpc-games/?do=findComment&comment=2979057

This came off quite bold considering what people have done on the 8-Bits so far. However, now when I read it more closely you said "we can".

Then everything is OK. :) This way it doesn't say yours will be the best/fastest routines.

From now on I try to hold back on comments until I see the prod.

Oh and I really appreciate how you respond to (often harsh) critics. I would have gone through the roof more then once already :)

• Like 2

Think about every great new technique that came out of the 8-bit community.

what happened?

For anything that wasn't the result of a question, it was literally:

"Oh hey guys, I've found a way to flip the GTIA into an indeterminate state and cause a half cycle delay, it's producing a very unusual graphics mode, so a few of us did something with it. Here's a bin."

"THIS IS AWESOME! Any info on it?"

"Sure, we're sketching things out, we've posted what we know so far to (wiki/mailing list/etc)"

And so it went, over and over, for APAC, TIP, HIP, all the page flipping modes...

Versus:

"HEY! WE'RE WRITING SOMETHING THAT WILL BE SO AWESOME, YOU'LL RENOUNCE YOUR FAITH IN JESUS!"

"I'm an athiest, so ok. What's so awesome about this?"

"WE'VE DISCOVERED A WHOLE NEW SUPER AWESOME MODE WITH OUR AWESOME PROGRAMMING SKILLS! WE'RE WRITING A GAME WE'LL RELEASE SOON, FOR $50!"

"um. ok. You still haven't answered my question."

"IT'S PROPRIETARY!"

"um. ok...So when will this be out?"

"SOON!"

lather...rinse..repeat a few times...

How many new and awesome techniques have been released to the 8-bit public, this way?

Oh, right. NONE. :)

So you can my skepticism, all laid out in painstaking detail :)

-Thom

• Like 1

Thom,

many understand what you say and yes, this has been the oddest and most secretive announcement of a game, there are those of us who would have liked to have seen a bootable version of those screens and since there's been no effort to do this many are as sceptical as you from what I am reading in their answers on here.

BUT, Pete has announced the game will be ready in two weeks, if no game arrives then Pete will have shot himself in the foot, if there's sudden rewrites, delays etc etc then I suspect people will believe there never was a game BUT lets see, I for one will stand up and give a round of applause if the game turns out reasonably on time, I'll cheer if its as good as Pete says and of course I'll apologise for any negativity.

I'm one of those people who says it as I see it, if I think someone is messing around I won't skirt around the bushes, I'll say it, if I'm wrong I'll apologise,

I wish Pete was more open about the game and let us see some screens but its his game, he can do what he likes with it.....I'm just hoping he shocks us in a good way, people WILL remember those who have been having us on.

• Like 2

CENTRON 3D LEVEL 1 BACKDROP. - No more pics until the game is done now. Sorry guys.

Thanks guys for the positive attitude, really appreciate it. I accept you can't please everybody but that's their loss, really.

Oh, and I had nothing to do with the World Cup :) hehehehe.

@ Sniklin: Your right their, I've been working late nights to get Centron 3D done. It should be done before 2 weeks , I'm hoping :)

Now, back to programming. Hmmm. How do you print text on the screen again? Ummmm. Oh that's right !

10 PRINT "HELLO WORLD" : GOTO 10 : REM SYS64738

run it, run it, run it !!!!!! :)

This game is gonna rock !

:)

Pete

Manager

RPC-Games!

post-39099-0-71322000-1403132579_thumb.jpg

• Like 2