IGNORED

Michael Thomasson's 12,000 game collection sold, over $750k

I saw Mr Thomasson at a game show booth a couple of weeks ago. While looking at what he had for sale, I was referencing my own list (to make sure I didn't buy anything I already have), and I mentioned how many games I already had. He said he had about 12,000 games, all console. I guess he kept a few favorites...

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/18/worlds-biggest-video-game-collection-sold-for-750000

If and when he gets paid for this collection, how does he plan on shipping all this stuff? By the pallet on NAVL?

If both he and the buyer are within the USA, a PODS-style truck may actually be pretty cost-effective. Even with a big truck going coast-to-coast, it's only a couple grand. When you're dealing with THIS much stuff, that's reasonable.

• Like 1

3/4's of a million smackers - wow!

Is this a legit and done deal? Who's got that kind of money to blow on this kind of gaming all at once? And did they have to take out a loan? Having a tough time picturing a guy that would blow this kind of scratch (or have it in the first place) and the type/value of home he lives in. Guy really want all that stuff or plans on making an investment out of it? Inquiring minds want to know! :lol:

Whoever bought this probably bought it more to lay claim to the World Record than to own the actual collection. Even though the collecting community knows there's bigger collections, Guinness hasn't recognized any of them. It would not be surprising at all if some other buyer is now looking to one-up whoever bought this set...

The US government probably bought the lot, and will store it at Area 51 while they build a huge museum in Las Vegas to put it on display.

Your tax dollars at work, people! :D

They have their top men working on it. TOP. MEN.

I'll be absolutely astounded if the seller comes through. I'm guessing the last legitimate bid was in the 90K range. Hope for the seller's sake I'm wrong.

The whole thing reeks of publicity stunt and shill bidders. Also, his collection isn't even worth that = $68 per game, with a crap ton of crap in there.

The whole thing reeks of publicity stunt and shell bidders. Also, his collection isn't even worth that = $68 per game, with a crap ton of crap in there.

To be fair, he said it was to raise money for his ailing mother's care I think. Obviously going to Guinness GREATLY increased the price he would get.

Edited by Greg2600