IGNORED

New developer for Atari Jaguar

rpc_games

Although I think I would have liked the AMY ( No idea how it would sound and what it would have been capable of). I personally think the pretty bad YM + coding and composing skills is a combination that gave us loads of great tunes. Ofcourse that combination hasn't found it's way often enough into the gaming side of the ST.

If you're very much into tracker/sample replay kind of music than STE or FALCON would be your first choice, but they don't have a better soundchip, just extra hardware for sample playback. The soundchip for computers/consoles more or less went extinct around that time.

In my opinion It wouldn't have hurt the Jag if it would have gotten a real soundchip besides what it has.

Hmm, from the JAG Technical Reference Manual it states that the DSP has these modes.

The wave table ROM contains eight 128 entry wave tables.

TRI - A triangle wave

SINE - A full wave SINE

AMSINE - An amplitude modulated SINE wave

SINE12W - A sine wave and its second order harmonic

CHIRP16 - A chirp - this is a sine wave increasing in frequency

NTRI - A triangle wave with noise superimposed

DELTA - A spike

NOISE - White noise

Surly you can make some great synthesized sounds using these.

Your could easily just use 16bit sound samples instead. No need to do any Synth calculations just

playback a sound sample.

Pete

• Like 1

As an aspiring Jaguar developer, all of these comments have really helped my understanding of the system and the community. I'm not being a sarcastic ass, I really do mean it. Thanks OP and thanks posters!

Edited by guiltl3ss
  • Like 5

Hello,

The Jaguar community is 'special'. I'm an Atari fan from long long time (I got an Atari STF (with a 68020 !), STE, 2 Falcons, 2 Jaguars, One Lynx). I have done some line of code on Atari computers, a really cool community, the Atari demomakers, where when you meet in real life other coders, only two things : he tooks you in your arms or make you a big kiss :) Family mind, i loved each meeting with others Atarians. When i come into Jaguarland, bad surprise, some people wanted to continue a strange dream :

i'm the king of the Jag and you're only poor guys. What a bad surprise !! Coming from Atari computerland where Carebears ( ;) ) is the rules :) i was shocked !!

But some Jaguar lovers mounted a wall and climbbing it and where they were at the top, they shout : we want Jaguar community got the same mind than the Atari computer community, fun, laughs, sharing.

At this time only some people try to continue to think Jaguar is ONLY here for earning a lot of money. That's not the real Atari rules !! But be sure, if you want help, if you have questions, you're welcome on Atariage (The best board for all Jaguars question, except for technical infos where Jagware is a little bit more experimented ( a little bit of ads : http://www.jagware.org/ ). On this two boards, people are here for giving the real Atari mind and rules to the Jaguar community !!

Stay cool, Stay Atari

• Like 5

Hello,

The Jaguar community is 'special'. I'm an Atari fan from long long time (I got an Atari STF (with a 68020 !), STE, 2 Falcons, 2 Jaguars, One Lynx). I have done some line of code on Atari computers, a really cool community, the Atari demomakers, where when you meet in real life other coders, only two things : he tooks you in your arms or make you a big kiss :) Family mind, i loved each meeting with others Atarians. When i come into Jaguarland, bad surprise, some people wanted to continue a strange dream :

i'm the king of the Jag and you're only poor guys. What a bad surprise !! Coming from Atari computerland where Carebears ( ;) ) is the rules :) i was shocked !!

But some Jaguar lovers mounted a wall and climbbing it and where they were at the top, they shout : we want Jaguar community got the same mind than the Atari computer community, fun, laughs, sharing.

At this time only some people try to continue to think Jaguar is ONLY here for earning a lot of money. That's not the real Atari rules !! But be sure, if you want help, if you have questions, you're welcome on Atariage (The best board for all Jaguars question, except for technical infos where Jagware is a little bit more experimented ( a little bit of ads : http://www.jagware.org/ ). On this two boards, people are here for giving the real Atari mind and rules to the Jaguar community !!

Stay cool, Stay Atari

How well does the 68020 work with your software on your STf?

I don't remember that being a popular upgrade - same with the earlier 68010 - especially since Atari Corp despised that CPU. I remember users mainly installing faster 68000s, or at the end of the ST's life, installing 68030 boards...

Hello,

I've got this STF from Jean Conter who has done this upgrade. Who is Jean Conter ? A french teacher (Atari fan) using Atari for this lesson !! \o/

He has done some articles in a french magazine called ST Mag, like this one about using a 68020 ( in french but : http://fr.meric.free.fr/Articles/Classes/booster020/Montageligne/Booster20Montagec.html )

He give me a 8 cards featuring on each card a 68000 all this Motorola can work in parallele !!!

FPGA card on a Falcon ? Jean Conter again ( in french again :

)

He use Atari for lesson, because that boot faster than a PC :) and you can stop it immediatly with one button !!

A very nice and cool guy :)

• Like 1