Dropcheck

Another update.

We're in the home stretch. tf_hh has told me that

1. Logic works
2. SDX works
3. Flashing works - IC is recognized by U1MB and UFLASH flashers
4. External Cart access and return to DOS works
5. RTC (still testing)

Now for a couple pics. Again this is a proto. I hope to have finalize 3d mockups soon.

20151110_212427.jpg

20151110_212451.jpg

• Like 3

Update central:

PCB is done and functional:

RTC is now functional!

20151112_201540.jpg

Here's a 3d mockup of the board from both sides.

sdxcartback.JPG

sdxcartfront.JPG

So as of now the last thing to do is come up with is an enclosure. As I said earlier I am working on the best cutout for the KM-20 style cartridge shells. I'll also be posting on my website a do-it-yourself 3d printer shell file.

We will be offering the board without a shell for those who prefer that.

The first run will be 50 boards. I am in the process of costing these pre-assembled for smd parts at least. I don't mind doing a few boards, but I'd loose all my hair if I tried to do 50+. Cost per board/shell is as yet unknown exactly, but should run around 45-50.00 USD per.

Features Fixed:

Current version SDXDos 4.47

Flashable with Ultimate1MB and UFlash flashers

GALs and ROM are socketed for future upgrades and easier repairs

RTC with replaceable CR2032 battery backup

Cartridge Passthru

Cartridge Reset Button

External and SDXCart on/off button

I'm afraid these won't be available for Christmas stockings. I'll definitely try though. :)

• Like 3

I am in the process of costing these pre-assembled for smd parts at least. I don't mind doing a few boards, but I'd loose all my hair if I tried to do 50+.

Just for your info. :!: If the cost from your assembler/maker is uneconomical, I am available to do all the smd work for you, for a symbolic cost. :)

Edited by santosp
  • Like 4

I'm interested. Does it fit in the original SDX shell?

Great idea! Thank you. :thumbsup: :)

Not possible with the added RTC and battery backup circuitry. :(

Lenore here I see a great opportunity to make this device not only a new complete SDX cart for today standards, but also a "de facto" alternate for all those obsolete original SDX cartridges! I am asked how a so clever idea, never crossed from my mind. :?

Some questions.

Have you also the original SDX cart, as to check the dimensions? And if yes, the only problem is the RTC and battery holder, or more?

Great idea! Thank you. :thumbsup: :)

Lenore here I see a great opportunity to make this device not only a new complete SDX cart for today standards, but also a "de facto" alternate for all those obsolete original SDX cartridges! I am asked how a so clever idea, never crossed from my mind. :?

Some questions.

Have you also the original SDX cart, as to check the dimensions? And if yes, the only problem is the RTC and battery holder, or more?

I would like to have the width of the original SDX shell and the additional support for the external cartridge connection. I would like to reuse the older shells. That would be awesome! But the actual board space is only about half of what our board is. Early on I tried to put just the basic circuitry(no RTC and battery holder) on a board shape that would fit the original cart shell, but could not get the board to route even with 7mil traces. Just to much. :(

I can try it again since we now have a final schematic. I don't have much hope though. I'll let you know in a few hours.

Update:

tf_hh has worked a miracle. It looks like we will have a version that will fit into the original SpartaDOS cartridge shell. We still have to test fit it and it's going to be a mother to solder the SMD parts. But we maybe able to offer that version as well. No reset or on/off switch option, but the RTC and battery backup features are there.

• Like 5

Update:

tf_hh has worked a miracle. It looks like we will have a version that will fit into the original SpartaDOS cartridge shell. We still have to test fit it and it's going to be a mother to solder the SMD parts. But we maybe able to offer that version as well. No reset or on/off switch option, but the RTC and battery backup features are there.

One advantage of the original ICD case was no center hole, which can cause issues with placement/routing.

Use of a low profile battery holder might also help. The following are basically the same except for mounting.

Surface mount: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/BK-912/BK-912-ND/2647825

Through hole: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/BK-913/BK-913-ND/2329371

Update:

We are at the final stages of testing and fitting, taking the prototypes to a real product and testing to make sure we didn't miss something obvious.

What we know now:

I will not be trying to hack together a KM-20 cartridge shell to fit the reimaged SpartaDOS pcb. All of you grousers can stop holding your breath. :lolblue:

santosp has entered the building and he will be bringing his expertise to the party. :grin: He has graciously offered to do the assembly of the final pcb and provide the polished cut to the shells. His name will be added to the credits and he's asked for a completed SpartaDOS cartridge :) More than fair for the hair pulling he'll be doing to assemble such a large project. He will also be handling the direct mailing to those in the EC so that should keep the shipping costs down for you overseas in Europe. I will handle the shipping in the states and elsewhere.

All orders and prepay will go through my website. It just makes it easier to track the orders and handle the money exchange.

Two versions will be offered:

Both versions have this standard feature set

Current version SDXDos 4.47

Flashable with Ultimate1MB and UFlash flashers

GALs and ROM are socketed for future upgrades and easier repairs

RTC with replaceable CR2032 battery backup

External cartridge passthru

Gold contacts

$1.00 donation to SpartaDOS Upgrade Project per cart/pcb sold

KM-20 Complete Package ($50.00 per cartridge plus shipping ABBUC members get 10% off)

Complete redesigned cartridge shell to accomodate additional features

Cartridge Reset Button

SDXCart portion on/off button

And for those who have the original cartridge shell.... :!:

Original SpartaDOS cartridge sized pcb only ($40.00 per pcb plus shipping ABBUC members get 10% off)

A total of 50 of each version will be the first run. It looks like a mininum of 25 each version will need to be sold to allow production. I will offer both versions on my website so you will need to choose which you want or both and make pre-payment. In the event that the break even number is not reached for either or both versions I will refund monies to the buyer via paypal.

Time line:

The KM-20 version will go into production first and take approximately 30 - 60 days from go ahead date to receipt of order to customer.

The oriiginal shelled SpartaDOS pcb will follow after santosp recovers. ;-) Time should be a litte better, since he will not have to worry about shelling the pcb.

If you order both versions, only one shipment will be made, so understand that you could be waiting for upto 60 - 90 days. :(

I hope to have mockup pictures up on my website soon. The final product may change slightly from that since I can only approximate the shelled appearance of the KM-20 version. I believe we have decided to offer the off white/greyish color shell to stay truer to the original shell.

More info will be coming soon.

Footnote #1: Sometimes the spam filter on my website is overly aggressive, so if you are not getting a response to your comments within 24-48 hours please IM me here.

Footnote#2: I do still plan to offer a unshelled KM-20 pcb for the few who want to hack something up themselves and I am still working on 3D printable shell along the lines of the original SpartaDOS shell for free dl from my site.

• Like 5

Okay I forgot. :(

To give you an idea on the shipping costs.

In the states I can ship upto 3 KM-20/pcbs for the Flat Rate Small Box price. About $6.00 or so.

At this time we are not sure of the final weight of each cart/pcb. Once we have a final cart/pcb made, we can give a more accurate cost for EU shipping. My website will calculate in real time in US dollars that then Paypal will translate at the time of purchase.

In the EC santosp is quoting me registered mail:

100 grams = 6 euro,

200 grams = 7 euro,

500 grams = 10 euro,

1000 grams = 16 euro.

• Like 2