IGNORED

Ruiner Pinball...what am I missing?

madman

@Austin: I like Sega but there's not enough in the Saturn library to justify a purchase. I'm not gonna buy a console just for two games. I've got too many consoles as is and I'm more interested in collecting for cart systems as opposed to disc.

@JagChris: Maybe someone can hack ruiner to fix the faulty physics engine?

I got into about a half hour of Pinball Fantasies last night and right off the bat I felt the physics were better than Ruiner. The tables not quite as interesting, but overall easier to see what the targets are and to hit them due to the flippers acting like flippers. I realize I have minimal time into both games, but so far PF is my preference.

• Like 1

Here's an older discussion I started comparing the two games: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/170357-pinball-fantasies-vs-ruiner-pinball/

Your thoughts are pretty in line with mine regarding these two. At first I thought maybe I just sucked at Ruiner because I found it impossible to hit the few targets I could find. Seemed I mainly ended up hitting birds and bombs (or were those planes?). With PF I find the learning curve equal to that of an actual pin. The only tables I played last night were the Stones and Bones and the driving one, the latter of which I found the playfield graphics to be a little bit laughable, but still enjoyable.

Edited by madman
  • Like 1

OK, spent some more time with these two tonight. PF is, in my opinion, the superior game. I put a good amount of time in on PF, then switched over to Ruiner. I truly felt like I was just hitting the flippers randomly every time the ball came nearby. The few targets I did try to hit were kind of ruined by the ball bouncing off the planes. The two-frame animation of the flippers didn't help much either and again the physics just feel way off. After a few games of haphazardly hitting the flippers I ended up with great scores without knowing what the heck I was doing, it was just luck rather than me making a conscious effort to aim at any given part of the playfield. I do find it pretty progressive for the time that there are two icons you can use to make your high score initials spell out "KICK ASS". Maybe I just don't get "fantasy" pinball games and perhaps that's why this game doesn't appeal to me. All said, it's still a playable Jaguar game, I just found Pinball Fantasies more to my liking due to its realistic physics and playfield. PF will keep me coming back for the fun and I can see Ruiner keeping me coming back thinking, "Maybe I'm missing something here."

• Like 1

@Austin: I like Sega but there's not enough in the Saturn library to justify a purchase. I'm not gonna buy a console just for two games. I've got too many consoles as is and I'm more interested in collecting for cart systems as opposed to disc.

I'm a Jag fan first and then a Saturn fan but I gotta say there is a ton of good stuff out there for the Saturn. Think about what you are looking for and then check the available Saturn library or ask around at others. You might be surprised.

Edited by JagChris
  • Like 2

I'm a Jag fan first and then a Saturn fan but I gotta say there is a ton of good stuff out there for the Saturn. Think about what you are looking for and then check the available Saturn library or ask around at others. You might be surprised.

Should be incredibly surprised if he starts dipping into the import library as well. :thumbsup:

OK, spent some more time with these two tonight. PF is, in my opinion, the superior game. I put a good amount of time in on PF, then switched over to Ruiner. I truly felt like I was just hitting the flippers randomly every time the ball came nearby. The few targets I did try to hit were kind of ruined by the ball bouncing off the planes. The two-frame animation of the flippers didn't help much either and again the physics just feel way off. After a few games of haphazardly hitting the flippers I ended up with great scores without knowing what the heck I was doing, it was just luck rather than me making a conscious effort to aim at any given part of the playfield. I do find it pretty progressive for the time that there are two icons you can use to make your high score initials spell out "KICK ASS". Maybe I just don't get "fantasy" pinball games and perhaps that's why this game doesn't appeal to me. All said, it's still a playable Jaguar game, I just found Pinball Fantasies more to my liking due to its realistic physics and playfield. PF will keep me coming back for the fun and I can see Ruiner keeping me coming back thinking, "Maybe I'm missing something here."

You pretty much nailed it with this analysis. Despite the two games being in slightly different pinball genres (one is more of the Devil's Crush sort, while the other models tables after common real-world machine designs), they both feature similar goals and traditional pinball rules. The difference is, Pinball Fantasies gives you the proper tools to work with to control the ball, get better and consistently make your shots, to eventually meet the high-scoring goals. Ruiner doesn't, with its wildly inconsistent flippers and wonky physics. On the Tower table in particular the ball bounces slightly off the ridges on the flippers, which leads to inconsistent aim. However, inconsistency should be the player's fault, not the game's, and that's where Pinball Fantasies gets it right: If you miss, it's probably your fault. Ruiner however doesn't even give the player the tools to play well to begin with. It's sad because I like everything else about the game (table designs, the dark themes, the goals, etc). The developers just happened to nerf the most important part of the game--the flippers.

• Like 2

I bought Ruiner because the vgc said it was better than PF. I disagree. The overall package, tables, music etc., are much better than Ruiner. Ruiner uses a proprietary c-compiler that many wish they could get their hands on, though.

That's not exactly true we found out.

• 5 months later...

I got back into some PF tonight, I remember posting this thread, but forgot the details. Anyway, as I was playing I thought, "this really has an Amiga look to it" and sure enough, it was originally released on the Amiga as it sounds like a few people on here know. A great game to pick up and play for a quick session, I don't know that I'd called it a "must have" title and it doesn't at all scream 64-bit (or even 32-bit), but it's pretty fun.

I got back into some PF tonight, I remember posting this thread, but forgot the details. Anyway, as I was playing I thought, "this really has an Amiga look to it" and sure enough, it was originally released on the Amiga as it sounds like a few people on here know. A great game to pick up and play for a quick session, I don't know that I'd called it a "must have" title and it doesn't at all scream 64-bit (or even 32-bit), but it's pretty fun.

Ball physics much better on the Amiga and PC (DOS) actually. Did the ST ever see any of these 21st Century pinball releases? Don't think so… if not, why not?

Jaguar version too stiff with limited ball travel math - but still a great Jag game. </rationalization> :lol:

I'm not a big fan of pinball video games but still really liked Ruiner Pinball ...

I'm in the same camp as well. Not only am i not a big fan of pinball (with the exception of the Vikings table on PS1 version of True Pinball) but i'm generally crap at them as well. For whatever reason though, I really liked Ruiner Pinball, particularly the triple storey table. Coincidentally, i just played Ruiner last week to show a friend. He loved it and is looking out for a cart to buy for himself now :)

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

Just had the game crash on me. Right in the middle of a fairly good game too. Might have crashed because of a multi ball? The music kept playing along with a rolling ball sound effect. A bit weird. I have to hard reset the console now. Sniff...

• Like 1

Ruiner was one of the games that I enjoyed in Jag's life, both in gameplay and raw-power coolness. (Others are probably usual suspects: AvP, Defender 2000, Irony Soldier, Missile Command 3D, T2K. And, yeah, that was it for me at the time.)

I read interview with developer (or programmer or designer or some such), who said there were two ways to do the collision detection for the flippers: the right way, and the way he did it. Overall, I really dig the graphics, sounds, music, gameplay, and designs. It's harder than crud and I can't get very far. I may have reached Defcon 2 at some point, but it felt more like luck.

I took Pinball Fantasies for dreck back in the daze. I got fairly into it for a time last year. It's fun and has more realistic physics ... although I'm not sure how realistic the physics could be in Ruiner as experimenting with destroying planes, tanks, and people with a steel ball might prove difficult.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tripled79 said:

I lucked out and finally got a copy on eBay for a decent price. Must have been a "gently" used cart as there were hardly ant high scores on the table. Unless the previous owner wiped the EEPROM. Now I just need to find a manual...

Ruiner Pinball manual is on AA here:  https://atariage.com/software_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=1127

On 7/3/2021 at 3:30 PM, SlidellMan said:

I noticed people mentioning Pinball Dreams & Pinball Fantasies in this thread, but what about Pinball Illusions?

Olaf Gustafsson's music in this is amazing.

I wouldn't mind getting Dreams or Illusions on Jaguar...