IGNORED

DataStream BBS Is No More

Received this msg today when trying to connect

I'm sorry, the bbs has crashed, and we don't have any backups. :(

i guess this is the end, things weren't going so well anyways.

thank you for calling us.

- your sysop

This sucks because this was the best BBS to play Legend Of the Red Dragon.

Received this msg today when trying to connect

This sucks because this was the best BBS to play Legend Of the Red Dragon.

Holy crap... this thread is a flashback!

I haven't called a BBS in almost a decade... and LORD, no less... I remember that door game. I also remember BBS Drag Race, Usurper, Trade Wars 2002, Barron Realms Elite, Solar Realms Elite, etc... man, those were some good games.

• Like 1

I'd love to start up a BBS with those games, but I'm not sure what kind of involvement that would take.

I don't think really anyone has a modem anymore, so setting up a dedicated phone line (like back in the day) is probably not something you'd want to do. I think nowadays, most people set up a Telnet BBS. You would probably want to use something like WWIV, Renegade, WildCat, or something like that...

Are you talking about the Datastream BBS run by Tony Stewart's family (Tony died back in 2006)? dsbbs.net? I just got off there. Looks like there might have been something reset since I had to reapply for my user ID but it seems to be running fine to me.

I don't think really anyone has a modem anymore, so setting up a dedicated phone line (like back in the day) is probably not something you'd want to do. I think nowadays, most people set up a Telnet BBS. You would probably want to use something like WWIV, Renegade, WildCat, or something like that...

Yep, TELNET, opens up a whole new world if you go BBS hopping with your old Classic Computer.

Just in case some of you are new to this concept... << GO HERE >>

You really can get a Commodore, Atari, BBC, TI, TRS-80, Apple, Amiga, etc. on the Internet.

Are you talking about the Datastream BBS run by Tony Stewart's family (Tony died back in 2006)? dsbbs.net? I just got off there. Looks like there might have been something reset since I had to reapply for my user ID but it seems to be running fine to me.

That's the place. On Saturday I connected and it looked fine although it no longer knew my user ID. I put off registering until yesterday, and when I connected yesterday I got the same msg I posted in the OP.

I tried to connect to Data Stream just now and I couldn't make a connection.

• 1 month later...
dudeslife, on 05 Aug 2014 - 6:08 PM, said:
how in the year 2014 are there no backups???

i'm the operator of datastream bbs. i make backups every week and they are are stored offsite.
this vector guy was banned for using homosexual slurs; something i have no tolerance for.
regarding the other guy who had to reapply, i think after 90 days it deletes the account. but if you are a gamer, your character is probably still there for when you reapply
have a good one,
for current bbses check out:
telnetbbsguide.com
bbslist.bbses.info
cbbsoutpost.servebbs.com/
for telnet clients:
win32/os2 mtelnet mt32.bbses.info
win32/*nixx/os/x syncterm syncterm.bbsdev.net
win32 *nix raspberrypi netrunner mysticbbs.com
Edited by mro1337

i'm the operator of datastream bbs. i make backups every week and they are are stored offsite.
this vector guy was banned for using homosexual slurs; something i have no tolerance for.

Oh God - so you're the same guy that everyone hates on DoveNet that insulted me in the first place about using modem lines. I'm glad you banned me cuz I wouldn't want to knowingly support your BBS.

And you just signed up today on AtariAge.

Stay safe folks, this guy's trouble.

• Like 1

If you've been around as long as i, you make a few enemies.

at this point i have hundreds of friends i have met through bbsing and maybe 3 who dont like me. The ones i am friends with, i've known for about 15-20 years and we have earned each other's respect .

Anyways your mudslinging doesnt belong here, nor does this post about my system.

If you want to continue your dramaqueen BS, have at it.

Edited by mro1337

You're the fool that started this - attacking me on a subject where it was obvious you have no knowledge. Others took my side and nobody took yours. The thread is out there on DoveNet\General for everyone to see how you attacked me.

I've added you to my ignore list as you are someone I definitely have no desire in interacting with.

/thread