IGNORED

Sabre Wulf

Asmusr

Are there plans to sell a pre-made cartridge as with your prior games? While I can burn the PROM myself, I wouldn't mind buying a remade one if only to throw some money your way.

I have decided to make my Sabre Wulf version available free of charge. A pre-made cartridge will probably be available anytime soon, but the price is only going to reflect the cost of producing/selling/distributing the physical cartridge. So please go ahead and make your own cartridge if you have the equipment.

I have been playing the final version to death and I would say that the balance of the game is just about perfect now, the "one more go" factor is about the highest I have ever come across on a TI release. I am probably going to start an argument here-but I think that in terms of a long term challenge and in terms of playability, this beats the "Smooth Scrolling Trilogy", (not an easy feat).

I would agree, I built one of the cartridges for my six-year-old, and he will play it for a lot longer at a single go than he will for any other game except for Arcturus. . .and Arcturus doesn't win the battle, it just gets equal time with him. My nine-year-old will play TI Scramble and Road Hunter for a long time, with a bit less time playing Titanium. He hasn't twigged on Sabre Wulf yet.

Edited by Ksarul
  • Like 2

I just wanted to bump this thread to express my deep appreciation for all this innovation. Within a short time of your completing this amazing conversion, I can play it instantly in a Javascript emulator. If anyone had told me in 1984, 1994 or even 2004 that this kind thing would be happening in the 99/4A community, I'd have thought you were crazy.

Thank you for a job well done, many times over.

• Like 2

There's something special about this game that grew on me... the title music of the cartridge version! Maybe some of you know I'm into computer music and music of computer games, and up to now, this has mainly concentrated on the C-64's tunes with the other systems not contributing much. The TI-99 has generally had only shorter and not-so-well defined clips of music. But here we basically have a full-length song in very good quality. I think the original on the Spectrum was called "Prelude in C" by Bach, right? But your version definitely has a melody voice, so this would be the "Ave Maria" which is based on that Prelude in C. I think it was a good idea to expand on what was only played for a few measures and only monophonic on the Spectrum. There's a even a distinct style to it... the way the drums and bass sounds, it sounds more "poppy" than originally composed. And this is quite a feat for a TI-99 game to have a title music that even has some kind of poppy style to it. "Peter Gunn" from Road Hunter wasn't bad either, but "Ave Maria" beats it by lengths in my opinion. I'd just be curious about one thing... is that version of "Ave Maria" based on an existing recorded version, the way it was done with drums and bass?

Created a q&d manual for Sabre Wulf from the info for the Spectrum; since I couldn't figure out what was going on ;) . It's in .odt, .doc, .pdf format if anyone wants to edit it. also attached a .jpg map.

second file is .pdf of booklet & map

sabrewulf.zip

booklet-map.pdf

Edited by hloberg
  • Like 2

How long was the manual? When I loaded it it complained that it was a damaged file and gave me nine pages on file recovery. . .

I opened it without complaint from OO Writer—there were 9 pages in the document I opened. It looks like the JPEG of the map is from two additional pages from the middle of the manual being copied that, perhaps, should somehow be incorporated into the document.

...lee

couldn't figure out how to add the map without making it sideways or way too small.

I have not tried to set up a centerfold in OO Writer to know whether it would work; but, I have done it in MS Publisher. Something like that would probably be the best way to handle it. Your JPEG actually does not look like a centerfold and it would probably be difficult to get that center portion of the image flatter.

...lee

Well, I don't think you're the only one who did it in that style. For instance, I found the following song on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G7A50A/ref=dm_ws_tlw_trk8

And then my cousin bought a CD called "Classic Rock" at least 20 years ago which consists of medleys of classical music in pop-style arrangements. One of the medleys also starts out with this song played in a similar style, only a bit faster, but then segues into "Prelude in C minor" (which is similar to the high score music of "Space Harrier" on the C-64) and then into "Italian Concerto". I just heard that version some weeks ago, so I wondered where you got your inspiration from. ;-)

It's my own twist. Gives an air of 'easy listening'.

• 1 month later...

I just noticed something with Sabre Wulf ... is it using the SID MASTER 99 card if it is installed for music playback? That opening music sounds too good be the TMS9919,

No it's the good old chip. ;-) Tursi's VGM player is awesome because you can use periodic noise for the bass notes without any hassle.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...