IGNORED

Ok Brotherhood...whats my first Homebrew purchase going to be?

Going with D2K anf Carol! ;)

Just had to get two :)

Man, spent half a night ripping a part my basement until ataribuff reminded me I sold him my copy months ago.

Thanks for the lists guys. Many of the early homebrews listed as expensive I used to own (stonix, space patrol, 4 tris)

Dare I ask what they sell for now? Im almost afraid to ask, lol

• Like 1

This thread has made me want to play Match 5!

In the puzzle category, how is Same Game?

Same game is awesome!

I have spent more time on that then any other Homebrew game. Choplifter is a close second.

Robots I could not quite get, but try the Same game portion of the cartridge it is very fun to improve your score!

Of course lots of other great home brews, these 2 just grabbed me.

Edited by wolfy62

Same game is awesome!

I have spent more time on that than than then any other Homebrew game. Choplifter is a close second.

Robots I could not quite get, but try the Same game portion of the cartridge it is very fun to improve your score!

Going with D2K anf Carol! ;)

Just had to get two :)

Man, spent half a night ripping a part my basement until ataribuff reminded me I sold him my copy months ago.

Thanks for the lists guys. Many of the early homebrews listed as expensive I used to own (stonix, space patrol, 4 tris)

Dare I ask what they sell for now? Im almost afraid to ask, lol

You don't want to know.

As Boston sang it- don't look back a new day is waiting! ;-)

Grats! there are some great new games, but not all available as ROMs.

I think a Match 5 demo is still available. The Carol ROM is here.

Both of these can be purchased CIB at normal prices, IIRC. I can't keep track of what's available where lately. I think Good Deal Games has some stock, too, in addition to the usual suspects.

Grats! there are some great new games, but not all available as ROMs.

I think a Match 5 demo is still available. The Carol ROM is here.

Both of these can be purchased CIB at normal prices, IIRC. I can't keep track of what's available where lately. I think Good Deal Games has some stock, too, in addition to the usual suspects.

Thanks, intvsteve, the Carol CIB game is still available for purchase from LTO here. The ROM, like always, is available for free here. Just to be clear, the ROM is every bit the same game as the CIB. The only difference is that the purchased game gets you a beautiful gatefold box, a large full-colour instruction booklet, two high-quality overlays, and a few-easter eggs hidden in the game.

-dZ.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick side-point here. Having tried the releases of Super Chef BT, DK2, and Christmas Carol, I think that many of the Intv releases in the last few years should be classified as "Independent Releases" and not just "Homebrew".

"Homebrew" to me means something that meets many standards but still shows as a part-time effort in a way or two.

"Independents" ("new Independents"?) are games like Christmas Carol could stand up against and be indistinguishable from the Original 125 in terms of end-to-end game quality, and with real boxes and manuals and overlays on top of that. Buyers (should) expect to pay a premium because they are getting something premium. I could see Imagic or Activision releasing Carol back in '83...

My parents paid over $50 for Sea Battle in 1980 IIRC.

This site - http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=50&year1=1980&year2=2014

says this is like paying $144.57 now.

Carol vs Ghost is a bargain.

• Like 1

I think the retail prices were more like $29.99 and expensive games like Chess or the Intellivoice games ran maybe $10-$15 higher. Could be wrong of course. Where's that 1981 Sears catalog?!

I agree with your general point, Tinty. The overall production values of the new releases is great. The hair-splitting about what to call them likely comes down to:

• Entirely new game vs. polished / "hacked" / enhanced existing game
  • Reused vs. new cart shells

Up to this point, all of the new Intellivision games released in cartridge format have had boxes, manuals, and overlays. [i"m excluding IntelliCart and CuttleCart3 - those aren't games.]

Old School nearly broke that trend, but Soulbuster laid it on the line and helped make the boxes, manuals, and overlays become reality and happily, community support for that title held strong. Honestly, perhaps we in the Intellivision community have gotten spoiled. Not being familiar w/ the other platforms' 'modern era' games, perhaps someone here could say what it's like. This guy's just too lazy to go find out. :P

Edited by intvsteve

Just a quick side-point here. Having tried the releases of Super Chef BT, DK2, and Christmas Carol, I think that many of the Intv releases in the last few years should be classified as "Independent Releases" and not just "Homebrew".

"Homebrew" to me means something that meets many standards but still shows as a part-time effort in a way or two.

"Independents" ("new Independents"?) are games like Christmas Carol could stand up against and be indistinguishable from the Original 125 in terms of end-to-end game quality, and with real boxes and manuals and overlays on top of that. Buyers (should) expect to pay a premium because they are getting something premium. I could see Imagic or Activision releasing Carol back in '83...

My parents paid over $50 for Sea Battle in 1980 IIRC.

This site - http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=50&year1=1980&year2=2014

says this is like paying $144.57 now.

Carol vs Ghost is a bargain.

Thanks for the kind words. I will say that I made Christmas Carol as a hobby, in my home, mostly working on the week-ends as a labour of love; so I have no problem calling it "Home-brew." I guess to me that's the real distinction, and as such I'll ascribe the moniker to my games proudly. :)

-dZ.

What ever you do, don't get too good at it. I don't need any more competition for this year's HSC.

Ha! I wouldn't worry. A video game session for me these days is about 15 minutes until I hear my Wife's shrieking voice to help with some meaningless task she is fully capable of, lol

• Like 2

Ha! I wouldn't worry. A video game session for me these days is about 15 minutes until I hear my Wife's shrieking voice to help with some meaningless task she is fully capable of, lol

Pleasuring your woman is not a meaningless task!!!

Edited by revolutionika

Thanks, intvsteve, the Carol CIB game is still available for purchase from LTO here. The ROM, like always, is available for free here. Just to be clear, the ROM is every bit the same game as the CIB. The only difference is that the purchased game gets you a beautiful gatefold box, a large full-colour instruction booklet, two high-quality overlays, and a few-easter eggs hidden in the game.

-dZ.

Didn't know it is still available! Sweet!

Now, I need to order myself a copy of this for sure

Looks like a tons of fun

• Like 1