IGNORED

FS: Atari 5200 prototypes

Marco

Hi all,

I'm selling a set of 13 Atari 5200 prototypes. I had a bunch of Atari 5200 protos up for auction on eBay, but they were removed by eBay because they are Beta Software. So, now I'll give you the opportunity to buy these from me directly. There are 13 games in this lot, including the following titles:

Ballblazer

Diagnostic cart

Jr. Pac-Man

Looney Tunes Hotel

Meebzork

Millipede

Miniature Golf

Road Runner

RS Basketball

Spitfire

Sport Goofy

Track & Field

Xevious

You can make offers single games, or the entire lot. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Marco

Yeah, eBay really must be investing time to track down prototype auctions. I didn't use any word in the auction descriptions that indicated these were protos or review copies and yet they still found out about them :(

I will check to see what version the diagnostic cart is.

Cheers,

Marco

do games like this from Best Electronics sell better when they have no label? all the proto collectors make such a fuss about the 2600 games from Best Electronics that come in Pole Position cartridges. why is it that it seems more acceptable to call the 5200 games prototypes?

maybe if cpuwiz would remove the label from his quadrun (can't recall, is it a pole position label?) from Best, it would sell for more like $75 rather than $25.

i always thought the collector value in prototypes was that they were one-of-a-kind and prototype collectors demanded they have loaner labels or something official looking.

i always thought the collector value in prototypes was that they were one-of-a-kind and prototype collectors demanded they have loaner labels or something official looking.

I agree with you 100% about the value of prototypes. I never really understood the big fuss over having the Best Electronics original vs. having a copy of the games that never had a label and never saw an official release anyway.

Also, some Lab Loaner carts (not the protos from Best) that are also considered quite rare are actually more common than some of the 10s.

do games like this from Best Electronics sell better when they have no label?  all the proto collectors make such a fuss about the 2600 games from Best Electronics that come in Pole Position cartridges.  why is it that it seems more acceptable to call the 5200 games prototypes?  

maybe if cpuwiz would remove the label from his quadrun (can't recall, is it a pole position label?) from Best, it would sell for more like $75 rather than $25.  

We are 100% on the same page, not only do they not have labels but the EPROM's do not have original stickers with dates etc. on them. To me that is a big turn off, otherwise I would have bought them all. :sad:

As for removing the label on my Best Quadrun, I don't think so. :roll:

hmmm, i bet the next best electronics 2600 dukes of hazard on ebay will be board only (removed from pole position case) with handwritten labels with dates on the eproms. no way to tell that from a real prototype that came "from a friend of a friend that used to work at atari". and the word "prototype" will appear nowhere in the auction.

Those protos look like they were sitting on my coffee table :)

Does that make the table vaulable? A proto display table?!?!?! Yeah, what the heck, I'll sell or trade my proto display table.

Let me see, I'm looking for..... :D

Marco,

I sure wish I had the cash for you when they were there. You don't need a "proto" table do you?

-Lee

Dukes is a mask ROM not an EPROM.  :roll:  :P  

:D

umm, what's the difference...to a layman?

i've opened one up and seen the rom with a little window, is that an EPROM? i think crazy climber from best was like that.

i've also seen the little black blob in the donald duck speedboat.

does the masked ROM in dukes look like any other ROM in a production release atari game?

hmmm, what does the inside of most lab loaner carts look like? EPROM?

umm, what's the difference...to a layman?  

i've opened one up and seen the rom with a little window, is that an EPROM?  i think crazy climber from best was like that.

i've also seen the little black blob in the donald duck speedboat.

does the masked ROM in dukes look like any other ROM in a production release atari game?

hmmm, what does the inside of most lab loaner carts look like? EPROM?

The inside of all lab-loaners look like the various EPROM boards displayed on Tempest's site. The Dukes looks like the Donald cart it's a 16K mask ROM (blob style) that contains all neccessary circuitry to do bankswitching.