IGNORED

A better mario bros for atari 2600

DINTAR816

Nice. Have you played the Mario Bros Classic Serie version? It is a PAL exclusive Scandinavian release with totally updated from the original, with enemy intros and other cool stuff. It's light years better than the original. I imported it earlier this year even though it plays 20% faster on my NTSC NES. Just saying, if you're basing your port off the NES version, it needs to be this one.

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

Nice. Have you played the Mario Bros Classic Serie version? It is a PAL exclusive Scandinavian release with totally updated from the original, with enemy intros and other cool stuff. It's light years better than the original.

A port of the original FDS release, Kaettekita Mario Bros., minus the Nagatanien World and advertisements between levels.

Great port of the game and closest Mario Bros. to the Arcade original thus far.

That port hopefully will be brought over properly, similar to how "Super Mario Bros. 2j" and "Donkey Kong Original Edition/Pie Foundry" were handled.

I posted a video to highlight more clearly how well it was put together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_6QSgdIsMw

An NTSC converted version - so it runs at the proper speed for those under that respective region - someday would be fantastic to see.

• Like 3

I made it to level 13 on my NES last time I played, despite the speedup. I attribute this to the much improved physics and collision detection meaning less sloppy deaths. The ice monsters and slippery physics finally did me in. The original Mario Bros is a lot like Ice Climbers where your character can actually clip the edge of a platform and completely miss it or crash into enemies with no option to change direction mid air like modern platformers.

I do collect Famicom, but the FDS is something I have little desire to fumble with. Belt drives are a PITA and oftentimes the 30 year old disks flat out don't work or are mislabeled due to disk writer kiosks overwriting their original contents. I really need to load an FDS set on my PowerPak.

A number of Japanese games got ported over to Scandinavia and PAL-B regions like Mr Gimmick and Parodius, fetching a lot of money. Others got rereleased with PAL optimized timings. Mario Bros Classic Serie was the only one in the reissued "Cassic" Series that had significant gameplay enhancements besides timing and pitch correction. For a late re-release in 1993, I'm surprised it only cost me 29 Euro with free shipping, about 32 USD thanks to the low buying power of the Euro currently. I think it flies under the radar because collectors aren't aware of the enhancements to the original.

Nice. Have you played the Mario Bros Classic Serie version? It is a PAL exclusive Scandinavian release with totally updated from the original, with enemy intros and other cool stuff. It's light years better than the original. I imported it earlier this year even though it plays 20% faster on my NTSC NES. Just saying, if you're basing your port off the NES version, it needs to be this one.

Wow! This looks great! Is the NTSC rom available somewhere?

• Like 1

Wow! This looks great! Is the NTSC rom available somewhere?

The stock PAL cart runs fine on my region free NTSC NES. Timings pitch are a bit different between PAL and NTSC hardware but most games will work between regions although some games have artifacts. Many games were not optimized for PAL and run slower with flat audio pitch. Games that were optimized for PAL will run faster with sharp pitch if played on an NTSC system.

A few PAL optimized games may glitch up on an NTSC system. PAL Mr Gimmick won't work for instance.

Regardless the majority of NES games run on either console. It's not like Atari where you get screen rolls and messed up colors.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The stock PAL cart runs fine on my region free NTSC NES. Timings pitch are a bit different between PAL and NTSC hardware but most games will work between regions although some games have artifacts. Many games were not optimized for PAL and run slower with flat audio pitch. Games that were optimized for PAL will run faster with sharp pitch if played on an NTSC system.

A few PAL optimized games may glitch up on an NTSC system. PAL Mr Gimmick won't work for instance.

Regardless the majority of NES games run on either console. It's not like Atari where you get screen rolls and messed up colors.

EXCEPT! Don't follow then jump on this version. The uncontrollable jump was half of the fun of the arcade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWOub5HPmgs

Wow!! That is an amazing port of the arcade version! Is there a link to the rom available for download?
  • Like 1

Ok, silly question from a new-guy here. I'm using the emulator EMU7800 (v0.81). Most the ROMs I've downloaded there are .a78 or .a26 files. I have one other ROM that runs as a .BIN file (OYSTR29) and it's playable. But when I download this BIN file or the pacman2600_4k, neither is recognized in the emulator. Is a different emulator needed or do I need to do something within the emulator I'm using?

Thanks for your help!

Wow!! That is an amazing port of the arcade version! Is there a link to the rom available for download?

Yes. It's in the No Intro set. Not sure about forum rules about linking to ROM sites despite Albert hosting the majority of existing Atari ROMs.

Google is your friend. Do a search for "Mario Bros PAL Classic Serie ROM download" and I'm sure something will come up. As far as I know there is no NTSC version of this game, but the enhanced PAL port is presumably based on an enhanced FDS version of Mario Bros. Mario Bros is not a fast game to begin with so the swifter PAL timing on NTSC won't affect you much. The physics are vastly improved in this version and I can get a lot further in this game compared to the original.

If you decide to get this for import, make sure it's the "Classic Serie" version and that the seller is not using a stock photo. Here is the enhanced version"

B67254DD-B855-A728-2A65F74179DB6105.jpg

http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Element.View&egID=1418&lgID=5489&sID=2127

And here's the bog standard version you don't want:

B6478111-FB46-1534-28D3066DCDAC1CAD.jpg

EXCEPT! Don't follow then jump on this version. The uncontrollable jump was half of the fun of the arcade.

I'm not sure on the arcade ROM or not, but Mario Bros and Ice Climbers NES both had wonky jump physics that made platforming difficult. The "Classic Serie" version of Mario Bros is a huge improvement over the original NES port.

It's like DK Complete Edition with the missing Pie level. Once you've played the enhanced version, you won't want to play the old version again. :D

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

Yes. It's in the No Intro set. Not sure about forum rules about linking to ROM sites despite Albert hosting the majority of existing Atari ROMs.

Google is your friend. Do a search for "Mario Bros PAL Classic Serie ROM download" and I'm sure something will come up. As far as I know there is no NTSC version of this game, but the enhanced PAL port is presumably based on an enhanced FDS version of Mario Bros. Mario Bros is not a fast game to begin with so the swifter PAL timing on NTSC won't affect you much. The physics are vastly improved in this version and I can get a lot further in this game compared to the original.

If you decide to get this for import, make sure it's the "Classic Serie" version and that the seller is not using a stock photo. Here is the enhanced version"

B67254DD-B855-A728-2A65F74179DB6105.jpg

http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Element.View&egID=1418&lgID=5489&sID=2127

And here's the bog standard version you don't want:

B6478111-FB46-1534-28D3066DCDAC1CAD.jpg

I'm not sure on the arcade ROM or not, but Mario Bros and Ice Climbers NES both had wonky jump physics that made platforming difficult. The "Classic Serie" version of Mario Bros is a huge improvement over the original NES port.

It's like DK Complete Edition with the missing Pie level. Once you've played the enhanced version, you won't want to play the old version again. :D

Thanks!! I have to get this so bad!! It is such a true port to the actual arcade and I enjoy the Original Mario Bros. The regular NES and 7800 versions gave a great effort; but just couldn't come close to the actual arcade port.

• Like 1

Thanks!! I have to get this so bad!! It is such a true port to the actual arcade and I enjoy the Original Mario Bros. The regular NES and 7800 versions gave a great effort; but just couldn't come close to the actual arcade port.

Do it. You won't regret. But before you import, make sure you've cut the lockout chip on your NES, otherwise it will reject the PAL game cart with the blinky screen of death.

Love the widebody. I have a DK with DK2 and switcher for DKJr. DK was my favorite back in the day, but grew to live the original MarioBros. My best friend and I frequented a game room with 2 for 25 cents games. We played Mario all the time. We later played the 5200 version for nights on end. Great game. Underrated. Especially great with co-op, friend out against. I have limited space for more arcades, so I'm waiting for the right Mario to come around my area.

Ever played Mario Clash on Virtual Boy? It's a 3D version of Mario Bros with the ability to walk between two planes. It's really fun especially if you like original Mario Bros.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a suggestion.

If your kernel is flexible about player height (Mario)

You can add this effect (I don't know how to call it)

The fist image is the color trick, second and last is the effect.

Am I'm missing something here?

post-10940-0-48154800-1416516700.png

It looks like you're using 2 colors (cyan and black) for the player on two of the scanlines, which isn't possible.