IGNORED

Destiny, anyone?

WestofHouse

I am wondering if this is even worth picking up for the PS3/360 or just wait until decide which new console I want and just get the game on sale....

The wait might be awhile, but I probably could not outlive my to play pile as it is....

I have it on the PS3 and it's great. From everything I've read, the only thing PS3 and 360 players are missing are the smoother graphics textures. Otherwise gameplay and frame rates are the same. I'd love to play it on PS4, but I'm not spending $400 on a console for one game. I still have a decent backlog of games, too, but I wanted to play Destiny now while it's hot and population is high.

What's everyone think of the game so far now that it's officially released?

I'm only to level 3 right now and I've yet to see anything different than I saw in beta. So if you played the beta you know exactly what to expect. think the only changes from beta were a few power/weapon nerfs and buffs. I loved the game in beta so I'm loving the full game so far. I can't wait to explore the subclass at level 15. I played a Titan in beta but decided to try a Warlock for my first real character. This early in the game it doesn't feel a lot different than the Titan because I haven't unlocked many class-specific skills yet, but I'm digging the space wizard thing. Compared to my Titan he sure is squishy, though. I find myself running for cover a lot.

I'm only to level 3 right now and I've yet to see anything different than I saw in beta. So if you played the beta you know exactly what to expect. think the only changes from beta were a few power/weapon nerfs and buffs. I loved the game in beta so I'm loving the full game so far. I can't wait to explore the subclass at level 15. I played a Titan in beta but decided to try a Warlock for my first real character. This early in the game it doesn't feel a lot different than the Titan because I haven't unlocked many class-specific skills yet, but I'm digging the space wizard thing. Compared to my Titan he sure is squishy, though. I find myself running for cover a lot.

Yeah I dont think there's too much of a difference in the characters until you reach lvl 15. I think I might stick with the Warlock that I played in the beta.

Looking forward to strikes. Waiting on a friend of mine who ordered a white bundle PS4 for some of that.

Single player is cool but I'm not sure I would recommend this JUST for the single player. Still I haven't played it beyond level 6 or 7 in the beta so I can't tell. There's also expansions and its an MMO of sorts so I expect things to change as time goes on.

Edit: I picked a Hunter...I've always played the sniper type. I like the way he knifes someone as a melee attack. Wow, the game looks just as great as before. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

I love that each class has its own melee attack. The warlock's palm strike looks so cool, and the titan's punch is very "Hulk smash"-like. I was torn between warlock and hunter, so my next character will definitely be hunter.

I definitely hope to get involved in some fireteams and strikes, but I like the fact that you aren't forced into multi-player. I think I could get my money's worth and more playing solo.

In beta I rushed through the story mode because I only had two days to play, but now I'm taking my time and exploring more, enjoying the scenery.

I love that each class has its own melee attack. The warlock's palm strike looks so cool, and the titan's punch is very "Hulk smash"-like. I was torn between warlock and hunter, so my next character will definitely be hunter.

I definitely hope to get involved in some fireteams and strikes, but I like the fact that you aren't forced into multi-player. I think I could get my money's worth and more playing solo.

In beta I rushed through the story mode because I only had two days to play, but now I'm taking my time and exploring more, enjoying the scenery.

That's what I'm doing just taking my time, going solo is best for campaign mode though. If you play with a friend that's higher level he or she will get most of the kills so its better to play solo or someone of equal level.

Definitely get in on a strike if you can (dont try it solo!) I wish the game was cross platform.

I'm up to level five now and finally got my first Warlock super attack. It is awesome! The animation is brilliant and the attack is so powerful. I felt like a complete bad-ass when I launched it.

I also got my Vanguard gear that was part of the pre-order bonus. My weapon went from 26 damage to 60. That made things MUCH easier.

My only complaint with the game so far is the communication system (or lack thereof). It's not conducive to making friends or joining groups. There is no area chat, and by default your group settings are set to private. I don't think most people know you have to change your privacy settings if you want to allow people to join you. And sending invitations is awkward.

I was doing patrols on earth last night and I sent invitations to a few folks who were at my level and running around alone. I got no response from them. I don't know if they even knew they had invitations, or if they saw them but turned them down.

In beta I was occasionally thrown in with other players during missions, but I haven't had that happen yet.

I've committed to finishing The Last of Us and some other stuff around the house so I wont play till this weekend.

Ok now I snagged an Xbox One Ghost edition.

My plan is to sell the 360 version and put any profit towards the One version. If I'm lucky I'll get to play the actual game in a a couple weeks! LOL

Hope I like it.

I woudn't worry about it, you will like it if you like shooters especially Halo, it's Bungie and they still have the game play down in fact in terms of gameplay I think they nailed it. I'm not a huge FPS freak but I can say that the controls are super smooth and accurate and it's a joy to play the game. I just finished Wolfenstein a few weeks ago and instead of feeling some burnout I'm looking forward to getting back into Destiny and playing some more.

The thing I can see being lame is the storyline since in the beta I felt like going into mission after mission I lost track of any kind of storyline at all. Its a bummer for me because it starts off really cool and your thinking to yourself "Damn this might be like Mass Effect" but nope I dont think it will.

Advice: If you start a story mission one level below its level requirement its considered "Hard" and anything below that....well good luck. :P

I recommend playing the story missions at equal level or higher for sanity's sake but thats just me.

I joined a clan and got to play in a fireteam with a few members last night using voice chat. It makes it an entirely different game. It was a blast.

I learned that choosing a skill in the upgrade tree doesn't make it permanent. I unlocked a second grenade type but was afraid to upgrade it because I didn't want to lose my first. A clan mate told me you could unlock all the skills and then swap between them. I love that. I felt too pressured to choose the right skills from the beginning because I was afraid I'd pick the wrong ones and not be able to change them.

I also learned the attributes that each faction supports with their gear:

Future War Cult has Discipline and Intellect
New Monarchy has Strength and Intellect
Dead Orbit has Discipline and Strength
Edited by WestofHouse

Well, I got to play the official version of the game (jacked a friends copy while they were at work) and I got to say.

Wow, you guys are playing a HELL of a different game from what I'm playing. The graphics aren't that good (though I was playing the 360 version, maybe it's that systems fault, then again a friend was playing a PS3 version and I didn't notice a graphical difference) and while there are a lot of different enemies, they don't really look that different (until you get to some of the higher level stuff) And slow....slow....slow.......fucking slow. I mean, I always feel like FPS games are just slow as shit, but this game is DAMN slow. I mean, I played it, was like WTF, pegged the turn rate and was still like WTF. And when you run, there's not much difference in speed than walking. Just to make sure, I had a friend run a level while I walked it and he never did get very far ahead of me (when stopping for the few firefights along the way, he was never more than a few steps ahead of me) And that's the other thing, the worlds FEEL empty. There are a few fire fights and an occasional boss fight (they aren't hard, they just require a shitload more bullets) Over all, the characters look good, if a bit generic (feel like they were ripped straight out of other games) the levels were bland and looked bad (and I don't mean post apocalyptic bad, I mean chunky low res graphics bad) the levels were sparsely populated and it was IMO just boring.

Put a few hours in and told the people I was playing with I had to leave "going to bed already?" No, just not interested in the game. Deleted it, and unless something hella happens on it, I doubt I'll ever even give it another look.

[edit] oh yeah, and the most god awful clunky user interface in any game ever. Trust me, if it feels like WORK to use the menu of a game, something is wrong with the game. Sorry, but I don't believe in giving a free pass because "oh god bungie did it" (or whoever else) Nor am I going to jizz my pants or claim it's the "second coming"

Edited by Video

Hmm I would say:

Gameplay: 9

Storyline: 6.5

Solo\PVE: 6.5

Co-op\Multiplayer\PVP: 8.5

MMO\RPG elements: 7

Graphics: 8

Sound\Music: 10

Max Level\Post game play: ???

Overall: 8?

I've only played this to level 6 or 7 in beta (just starting on with the full game). I have no idea about post game or what happens when you hit level 20 but those are my gut feeling scores.

Edit: I might add that this game as is typical with MMO's is ever evolving so reviewing it within a few days (as some places do) is not very accurate in the least.

Small example here:

http://www.bungie.net/7_Destiny-Events-Inbound/en/News/News?aid=12133

@Video I don't think I'm giving them a free pass myself but I'm not playing it on last gen consoles. I like it for what it is, some people dont. I think this game was just as hyped as any Call of Duty game even more so but this game appeals to me more than Call of Duty does since I've dabbled in MMO's and I tend to like RPG's/FPS games. Thats just me.

• Like 1

I just rented this and am kicking it around. I'm still not entirely sure what to make of it, but it sure looks nice and has a cool feel to it, as well as being addictive.

I'm a single-player only person (don't have Xbox Gold), so I found it odd to have other players milling about during your adventure. Sometimes taking down the enemies you're working on, very...different.

I liked that they seem to have struck an artistic chord between Borderlands and Mass Effect, and the sweeping music and some other touches give me the slight sensation of Star Wars. It's definitely a fun game, but I am not sure whether it merits a purchase for me as a non-multiplayer guy.

In all I am very impressed with how much outright fun it is, but also don't know that it really has drawn me in so completely that I am dying to press further. Like say, Halo 1, 2, and 3.

I will also say, after watching comparison videos between PS4 / Xbone / PS3 / 360... I'm still happy with my 360. Not ripping on the new consoles, just saying I don't feel left behind at this point.

I am getting the impression that the beef of the game is a first person shooter with RPG elements and a weak story line... uhmmmm haven't we been down this road before? And MMO elements. I've generally liked Bungie's stuff, but since I don't really game online at all, I think my $60 is better spent elsewhere and I will just pass....

I don't see anything entirely new so far, but the execution of both the shooter and MMO aspects are incredibly well done. It reminds me more of Halo meets Guild Wars 2 or similar than WoW or other more traditional MMOs. I'm Level 4 and so far I've had a good time randomly partnering up and fighting. I find it all to be quite tight and a joy to play.

I don't see anything entirely new so far, but the execution of both the shooter and MMO aspects are incredibly well done. It reminds me more of Halo meets Guild Wars 2 or similar than WoW or other more traditional MMOs. I'm Level 4 and so far I've had a good time randomly partnering up and fighting. I find it all to be quite tight and a joy to play.

I'll admit watching gameplay videos, not actual story line gameplay but just people hanging out in what i assume is a lobby of some sort. The game reminded me a lot of Guild Wars.

Not a bad thing I supposes, but certainly added to the been there done that feeling. I have a feeling this game is going to be tweaked a lot in the coming years. I thought I read they have a 10 year plan for this game. It wouldn't surprise me to see Bungie address gamers concerns in the coming months. They have a lot riding on this game.

I've put more time into the story and a good hour into the PvP in the control mode. Really enjoying myself. It reminds me the most of Phantasy Star Online for Dreamcast so far.

For it's fun it's got some areas that are annoyingly dark on my TV and the flashlight seems to not trigger until I find the path. That's pretty irritating. Didn't they play Doom 3???!! ;-) I also wish the hub area was a bit more fleshed out. I was pretty disappointed to see a small area with a giant sky box. It's very teasing.

I do like that not all the closets release their monsters in every mission. I was a bit nervous I'd have to fight some of the same hordes over and over and that seems to not be the case. Like PSO, though, the maps tend to feel a bit claustrophobic so far. I'm still just starting. I think the fact that we all get a vehicle off the bat is a pretty cool idea. have a feeling a huge game to Bungie isn't a huge game to people that have played TES, EQ, WoW, etc.

• Like 1

I will also say, after watching comparison videos between PS4 / Xbone / PS3 / 360... I'm still happy with my 360. Not ripping on the new consoles, just saying I don't feel left behind at this point.

Agreed. I'm playing on PS3 and I think the environments are simply gorgeous. The first time I did a mission on the moon I kept falling behind my team because I was gawking at the scenery so much. I can understand most of the criticism leveled at this game (e.g. poor story, same-old same-old), but not regarding graphics.

I played up to level 12 over the weekend, and I participated in my first strike. I didn't have a fireteam of friends so I just launched the strike and the game matched me up with two other players. Fortunately they were both smart players. We didn't use voice chat (which may have been good or bad), but we only wiped once against one of the bosses before making it all the way through. It was intense but not appreciably more so than the story missions.

One thing is for sure, they aren't kidding around with the level suggestions on the story missions. I did a level 8 mission solo when I was at 11 and I barely made it.

Overall I think Crimerians' review above is pretty spot on. I'd like a more substantial story as well as more social interaction, but it looks great, plays great, and the loot with gear upgrades is enough to give me that "Ok, one more round then I'll quit" feeling.

I just can't wait to hit level 15 and unlock my subclass skills. I think that will really make the game more special.

I like the game a lot so far. Well, I like the single player stuff a lot so far. The game looks great, and plays great too. I do have a few problems with some things-

I wish more popele used their headsets. This is more of a problem with people than it is with the game, but yeah, it would make the Strike missions much more fun. I wish there was a way to set up the Strike machmaking to only look for this who have mics on.

Level 20 is the cap? It seems like there should have been more game here, and a higher cap.

Subclasses at level 15. It's like restarting a new character when you pick a subclass. Having to go and grind all over again just to double-jump and throw a grenade seems like Bungie did not think this through.

The biggest problem though, is that PvP matches are so insanely unbalanced, it's flat-out comical at times. Bungie, as well as those who seem to have a blind love for the game, insist that it has a self-balancing method. I'm sorry, this is complete bullshit. The guns, the powers, the armor, the level perks, all of it is severely unbalanced, and it needs to be fixed ASAP. Bungie needs to balance the game better, and refine the matchmaking criteria.

Touting "the grind" as the pulp of the game. This is dangerous. Telling me that the game does not really start until I have finished it, and that the pulp is me running the same missions ad nauseum just to get better gear can blow up in Bungies face so badly, it hurts. Keep the DLC coming, keep it interesting, or this will be the game that ends you, Bungie.

The only thing I've found unbalanced in PVP is the hunter's Bladedancer super. That is like one big Win button. Other than that the only imbalance is my complete lack of skill. I suck at PVP. but I rarely feel like it's the game's fault. The weapons are balanced out so Attack stats are supposedly irrelevant, which is good. That's something to keep in mind when choosing weapons for your PVP loadout. From what I've read, even the cheapest level 1 weapon is suitable for PVP because of the balancing, so don't spend big bucks on a weapon just for PVP use.

Just started out last night (Warlock... just like I played in the Alpha/Beta) and I played a bit but then stopped as I knew what I was getting into and decided to wait for the release. After a few hours I got up to level 4 or 5 and played with the bounties and some of the story (have not yet touched the crucible).

As I am not interested in FPS games in general, I was surprised by the Alpha/Beta... there was more to enjoy than just running and gunning. It does have a feel of some Phantasy Star Online and I like that. I like the idea of the story (well what little I've learned so far) and that's enough... I don't require a deep story, just give me a little bit which is what I've received so far.

As for Bungie getting a pass from people, well they aren't getting a pass from me for their gaming history. I played Halo 1 years ago and that lasted a couple hours where I played a couple levels and walked away uninterested and have not returned to the series since. Not a fan of the game, not sure why... other than in didn't interest me (Halo Wars was the only thing I was interested in since but never picked it up). Bungie does make good stuff and the polish is there.

As for me spending additional money on the game... time will tell. I will give the game time and play through the solo campaign and even check out the crucible (although I'll be fodder there lol) and decide at that point how much more I want to play and discover. They've put down an interesting premise and I'm enjoying it at this point.

Scary thing is... Diablo is sitting on the shelf and calling my name. But it's Destiny right now and Diablo has grown a little more quiet on my second day of playing Destiny... another good sign!