IGNORED

Destiny, anyone?

WestofHouse

Nope. The Loot Cave is now officially gone....so long and thanks for all the fish:

http://www.bungie.net/7_Hot-Fix---09252014/en/News/News?aid=12190

"The Hive of the holy “Treasure Cave” have realized the futility of their endless assault on Skywatch and have retired to lick their wounds and plan their next attack."

• Like 2

Just imagine standing here doing the same exact thing for hours on end after level 20. That should get you going. :P

Sounds like Diablo 2 after you had a character in the 80's+

Doing Baal runs for hours trying to raise another level cured me of that game.

I'm throwing in the towel on this one. As I predicted a few days ago, now that I'm at level 20 this game has nothing left for me. I feel like this is a 20-level beta, or at best a half-finished game. The fact that there is no new content after 20 and level advancement requires grinding the same missions over and over and over is ridiculous. Some may enjoy grinding. I don't.

I have a 30% bonus trade-in coupon from Gamestop burning a hole in my pocket. I'm going to cash in my chips and write off Destiny as a fun two-week rental.

I've kind of dropped out as well. Not sure if it will be permanent, but chances are good it might be. I'm level 23 and there's just no fun to be had.

This must be the wildest turnaround I've ever had for a game. The alpha/beta was like crack coated crack, and until hitting 20 I still was having loads of fun. Now with the endless grinding of the same crap over and over and over and over, ramming my head through a wall repeatedly would be more fun than Destiny at this point.

• Like 1

This must be the wildest turnaround I've ever had for a game. The alpha/beta was like crack coated crack, and until hitting 20 I still was having loads of fun. Now with the endless grinding of the same crap over and over and over and over, ramming my head through a wall repeatedly would be more fun than Destiny at this point.

CE3KTHIS.jpg

To me, Destiny is the biggest disappointment since Ghostbusters 2.

Yeah I dont think I'll be playing past 20 at all...I just hit 12 last night and hopefully I can max to 20 this weekend. I still think they nailed the gameplay its a solid 10 for me but the monotony and single player experience is a bummer. I'll be keeping tabs on this game, I won't be selling it but they need some changes for sure.

I just ordered Metro Redux (its on sale for 39.99 on Amazon for PS4\XboxOne)

and I think Mendon has planted the itch in me to revisit Borderlands next month even though I really got burnt out on it, so lots to look forward to.

I'll be playing Borderlands on PC if I get it, don't want to invest in last gen too much anymore.

Well i finally got my copy installed and booted up to the title screen.

Press A to start.

Very cool.

*presses A*

ERROR : Could not connect to the Destiny servers.

*sigh*

That happened to me a lot this passed sunday while in game. Was really annoyed because I had to re-do certain things on the planet.

lol, perfect timing for a Bungie email:

remowilliams, take your Legend beyond Level 20!

MESSAGES FROM THE TOWER

Your true adventure begins when you reach Level 20. Rare and Legendary gear introduce a new character attribute: Light. Equipping gear that increases your Light will increase the power of your abilities.

I've seen rumors that the story was originally much deeper and that Activision forced Bungie to scrap most of it so they could sell it as DLC, but there may be no truth to that.

I sincerely hope that a lot of copies of this game start filling the "Pre-owned" shelves. Promising great additions to a game down the road does not excuse releasing an incomplete, subpar product. If there is no backlash then other game developers will happily follow suit. This game honestly feels like an episodic series that should be priced at $20 or so on PSN and called "Part 1."

Edited by WestofHouse

The game really does remind me a lot of Phantasy Star Online: hub world to get missions from and to sell/buy weapons & armor; only 4 worlds available to travel to in order to carry out missions; same areas on these 4 worlds to run thru over and over and over again and again and again to complete missions and collect loot; same enemies over and over and over again.

I loved PSO and played it a lot. But after awhile, my interest waned, the game became repetitious, and I stopped playing. Destiny has had the same effect on me, only in a shorter time frame.

I had a blast with some parts of the game, and enjoyed playing with my son and a couple friends. But there are also several parts of the game that I feel Bungie totally screwed up with.

Maybe in a year or more they will flesh the game out to include a lot of activities that take place in a vast universe, and I can always play again. But for now, I think I'll follow the example of WestofHouse and trade the game in towards Alien: Isolation or Grand Theft Auto V

Edited by Mendon

Maybe in a year or more they will flesh the game out to include a lot of activities that take place in a vast universe, and I can always play again. But for now, I think I'll follow the example of WestofHouse and trade the game in towards Alien: Isolation or Grand Theft Auto V

Yep. Someday there will be a $20 Game of the Year edition. I might buy it then and pick up where I left off, assuming my character is still around. By then there should be more story missions to complete.

I think I disagree with some of the negative comments including my own but I still must say its a timesink of a game to get to level 30.

Reached 20 this weekend and yeah its pretty much a drag getting light from now on but its a whole different leveling system after 20 and some MMO's do this sort of thing. Its all based on increasing your LIGHT stat. Increase that by X amount and you gain a level.

For those not sure: you basically need to get equipment with light on it to increase your light level and then unlock upgrades on them to increase your light level some more. Other ways are earn reputation, marks, coins and motes of light to buy better stuff. Also found out that your old XP is invisible, you still earn it but it goes towards getting motes of light.

Its confusing and I would have never figured this out on my own but this is where the MMO part really sets in. You have to play the game a whole lot. lol.

I think thats where they are losing most people. Simply not explaining what they need to do and also locking away stuff and requiring a lot of playing\grinding.....mainly with other people.

I still have to finish out the solo\storyline which I haven't played in a while. and at that point maybe I'll stop. It depends I have a friend who likes it and may ask me to come from time to time and I still like a challenge and this game does deliver in that area. Also, there's still lots do do and I find the game strangely addicting.

It has its faults but in no way I think does it deserve some of the bad marks I've seen. Nice article for those thinking about stopping at 20:

http://www.vg247.com/2014/09/19/levelling-in-destiny-beyond-20-why-you-shouldnt-give-up-hope/

I have to agree with the quote on that page but maybe I'm the only one here that feels this way, so be it:

"One thing I will say for Destiny - they did a horrible job at communicating its systems.

Otherwise they did a fantastic job at making a compelling game."

I think thats where they are losing most people. Simply not explaining what they need to do and also locking away stuff and requiring a lot of playing\grinding.....mainly with other people.

For me it's not that they didn't explain it -- it's that they give you no unique content to achieve it. I had no desire to play the same strikes and missions over and over again. That's just lazy game design.

One of the big differences between Destiny and other MMOs is that most other MMOs give you set rewards for strikes/raids. Defeat the Lord of Flatulence and you'll earn the Charcoal Helm of Filtering. In Destiny you complete a strike and you may not get anything. So you're relying on either a random roll of the dice or grinding like mad to save up the marks and coins and whatever in order to buy the gear to level up.

Another big difference is that in most MMOs you are always moving forward. Want to level up? Finish quests in one area and move to the next. In Destiny you finish all the quests and then have to go backward. Imagine if that mechanic applied to other games. What if in order to do the final level in Last of Us you had to go back and do some of the other levels multiple times?

The game play is certainly fun, and obviously lots of folks are enjoying it. I'm just at the age where I've determined life is too short and there are too many good games out there to waste time grinding.

Edited by WestofHouse
  • Like 1