IGNORED

Jaguar Primal Rage vs. 32x Primal Rage

Rick Dangerous

Because the characters appear to be bigger and less pixelated?

I've only seen pics and youtube clips of 3do PR.

Can't say anything about the speed, but the Jaguar version has fast gameplay.

Don't know much about the 3do controllers, but PR on the Jaguar with the Pro Controller is very good imo.

With the standard Jaguar controller it's very difficult/impossible to perform attacks or special moves.

Saw a few sealed Jag cd versions pop up lately, out of the price range I was willing to pay however. I own the 3 do

Version, just want to add to my Jag collection. All of my Jag CD games I put in the custom DVD cases with art, just purchased Brain dead 13 the same way, disk only. If a solo version of the disk pops up on ebay for $150 or less I'll take the plunge. With cart games I must have the original box mint, Jag cd games I'll let slide with custom DVD cases.

The wait goes on.. :)

The other element I didn't consider is the potential slowdown for a second player due to the daisy chained controller. I have heard it mentioned that this is a problem sometimes with 3DO games where split second timing is important. So maybe a two player game on Jag with pro controllers would be better if thats the case...

I have heard it mentioned that this is a problem sometimes with 3DO games where split second timing is important. So maybe a two player game on Jag with pro controllers would be better if thats the case...

That's the first I've heard it..

Either way, it's not worth an extra hundred dollars.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Well, I had my first outing with Primal Rage on the Jaguar last night and I have to say....IT ROCKS!!!

I played it with a pro controller and its nice to play it with just face buttons, which I prefer over using the shoulder buttons on the 3DO. I will give the graphics edge (just slightly) to the 3DO version, but as far as options and controls, I immediately felt a preference for the Jag CD version.

Theres a lot to love about this game, the moves, the specials, the "followers" idea...conquering territory...

Does anyone know if there are fatalities for each character? Nothing is mentioned about it in the manual.

I played it with a pro controller and its nice to play it with just face buttons, which I prefer over using the shoulder buttons on the 3DO. I will give the graphics edge (just slightly) to the 3DO version, but as far as options and controls, I immediately felt a preference for the Jag CD version.

*sigh*

Get a third party 3DO controller.

and it doesn't cost $100 either

Nice! Thank you. I take it this is Pro-Controller friendly?

It is if you have the control settings set to the right configuration in the options menu. It might be set up correctly already by default out of the box, but I've never had the pleasure of owning a Pro Controller so I can't say for sure.

It is if you have the control settings set to the right configuration in the options menu. It might be set up correctly already by default out of the box, but I've never had the pleasure of owning a Pro Controller so I can't say for sure.

I actually remember some of the specials I used last night, and the guide is based off of the default 6-button layout. Very helpful.

Primal Rage may be different for me. When first released, I was on the Boardwalk, and there was the mammoth of the arcade. The arcade was the obnoxious format that was so popular towards the decline of the arcade business in America. White cabinet, flat joystick area, super loud speakers blasting. I stepped up to the machine, inserted my quarters, and selected Blizzard. Before long, a group had gathered to watch me trek through the game. There I was, final fight, against all the characters on more time. A brand new machine, a rookie player, the crowd chanting, cheering, growling, and screaming. Beauty, perfection, victory. I did it. My initials ornamented the top of that arcade for days.

The console versions.. horrible, pitiful, obnoxious in their load times. Choppy, pixelated graphics. Is that body and hair detail or attached lego blocks?

Well said, Chris. Do the best you can and the results take care of themselves. If Atari had any sort of quality standards that Nintendo would later be famous for, Atari would have a much high degree of still being in business, today.

I'm not sure how much quality control Atari had over TWIs stuff though. I think it was take it or leave it. TWI wasn't a big Jaguar fan and by the misinfo they were spreading they weren't very professional or 'friends of Atari home division' like Sam Tramiel said they were.

I think it was a take it or leave it scenario.

Be that as it may it's the best fighting game on the Jaguar IMO. Without it we'd have no fighting game for our console that I'd be interested in.

@JagChris:Iput the question of poor products to Simon Butler, Ex-Ocean, in a recent interview, the following quotes might help explain the very nature of the industry:

'The whole Gazza project was something I was trying to get finished as quickly as possible while attempting to somehow fix the utter shambles that was Total Recall. '
' Ocean did indeed take a lot of flak, some of it justified but most of the time the criticism was unfair due to the fact that a large number of their stinkers were created out of house so sometimes things either slipped under the radar and you found yourself with a turkey that you had to release because of deadlines or the team in question were lazy, talentless or shiftless and thought they could pull the wool over Ocean’s collective eyes.
I know this for a fact having worked for one of those teams. They truly believed that poor design and shoddy coding would escape the attention of the powers-that-be at Ocean due to the number of titles they released at any given point. '

'It was never a financial issue that affected the quality of the games, it was time and the restrictions of the machines compared to the seemingly limitless capabilities of the target machines we were told to translate onto the home computers.

It was business, pure and simple' .

Having conducted a god few interviews of my own and put questions in via community interviews, i've always come away feeling the people involved did the best they could under the circumstances they found themselves in.Deadlines alone a huge issue.Honestly doubt anyone was ever cocerned how game would be seen, 20 years on.

Best solution would for Jaguar Primal Rage coders to be interviewed, so they could detail why conversion turned out the way it did.

The console versions.. horrible, pitiful, obnoxious in their load times. Choppy, pixelated graphics. Is that body and hair detail or attached lego blocks?

It depends on what console versions you are talking about in particular. The Saturn version is pretty great, for instance, easily the closest to the arcade of the bunch. Of course, if you had a PC at the time, that version was excellent and the best home version you could get. Still, I agree, it's a shame the rest of the home versions blew, and they couldn't touch the arcade version even in the slightest.

'It was never a financial issue that affected the quality of the games, it was time and the restrictions of the machines compared to the seemingly limitless capabilities of the target machines we were told to translate onto the home computers.

It was business, pure and simple' .

Having conducted a god few interviews of my own and put questions in via community interviews, i've always come away feeling the people involved did the best they could under the circumstances they found themselves in.Deadlines alone a huge issue.Honestly doubt anyone was ever cocerned how game would be seen, 20 years on.

Best solution would for Jaguar Primal Rage coders to be interviewed, so they could detail why conversion turned out the way it did.

The sounds and backgrounds weren't even in sync. After a while a pattern emerges. It's apparent in the Primal Rage ports that the higher profile consoles got more attention and then a decreasing amount from then on down.

Exactly, whilst i'm not the worlds biggest Primal Rage fan (only home versions i have appear on Xbox/PS2 Retro Compilation discs etc), i did see the Sega versions in particular get a lot of WIP coverage in the UK press at the time, so it seemed a lot of resources allocated here, as huge market to tap into.

Regarding the Jaguar version, potential market wise, not only were you aiming for a niche system, but by putting it on CD your aiming for an even smaller market again (just how many Jaguar owners even had the CD add-on when game was released?).

From a commercial point of view, your not going to allocate any serious resources are you?

We saw it later with the Saturn, games which were once meant to appear on Satuirn 1st, lucky to appear at all and often when they did, coders just told to port existing PS1 code over best they could.

Saturn Doom being prime example, Jim B.wanting to code for Saturn hardware and happy to say how good Saturn Doom could of been, had he been allowed to code as he wanted.