IGNORED

Jaguar Primal Rage vs. 32x Primal Rage

Rick Dangerous

Well, to be fair to him, in that brief mention alone, he'd shed more 'light' on it than i've ever had from buying magazines like Edge (who to their credit did great making of...games like Tempest 2000 and AVP on Jaguar) or Gamestm/RetroGamer/Arcade magazine etc in any looks at the Jaguar, so for now i'll take what i can get from that.Plus again it has to be taken into consideration just how long ago it was since he worked on it.

As for finding the guys who coded it, even when you do, wether they want to talk about it or can remember much about it, is, in my humble personal experience of chatting to ex-coders (period) a major consideration to be taken into account in itself.

I'm a little surprised for the love for the Williams/Midways Greatest Hits for the PS2 on here. Many of the ports on that seemed to be running WAY too fast. Primal Rage being one of them. I find the fighting games on that compilation almost unplayable.

Released at the same time as the 32X version of Primal Rage was T-Mek. One of the only home ports of the game and it's half-way decent too (IMHO.)

I'm a little surprised for the love for the Williams/Midways Greatest Hits for the PS2 on here. Many of the ports on that seemed to be running WAY too fast. Primal Rage being one of them. I find the fighting games on that compilation almost unplayable.

Released at the same time as the 32X version of Primal Rage was T-Mek. One of the only home ports of the game and it's half-way decent too (IMHO.)

I got T-Mek recently and have enjoyed playing it. A future tank arcade game along the lines of Battlezone 2000 for the lynx, and countless other tank games for that matter. I was surprised to see the Atari games logo pop up when I turned on my system, I wonder why they put this on the 32x and not the Jag?

I'm not sure which version you have played, but on the ones I've played the fighting games run at their normal speed.

Edited by Austin

So far? Nowt heard from the coder i contacted who could have shed some light (possibly) on Jaguar Primal rage and to be blunt? i dooubt i will hear anything.

I'm not one to make false claims or say i'm sat on information but not sharing because...or lie and say i spoke to..and he said...as that's just bloody daft :-)

I do have a 'respectable' amount of stuff headed the Atari Community way for 2015 via ST Gamer Vol 2 and various interviews 'out' and to do as is, so hopefully that'll suffice.

Tatsuya Minami (one of the people responsible for bringing games Like X-Men, SFA and Darkstalkers onto home formats), talked openly of only having 2 meagabytes of memory for loading into being a problem for 2D fighters, not just on Saturn, but also formats like 3DO and PS1/ X-Men he said had 32 megabytes of data just for the character data, so they had to compress it, when ideally they'd of liked to double it.

• 1 month later...

I recently had the chance to play primal rage on the jaguar for the first time. I have played several other ports and the arcade version, and own the version for the snes. What struck me as the nail in the coffin for the jag version is the significant input lag between pressing a button and having the character do a move. This lag made the game essentially unplayable for me and I don't see myself playing the game ever again.

Edited by sirlynxalot

Never noticed anything funky that way on Primal Rage (or any of the other fighters), but Wizard Of Wor OTOH! Such a shame they screwed that up. :mad:

How does the PC-CD version stand up, compared to others?

Only ever seen the PC Zone review (82% PC Zone Recommended etc) sprites described as 'satisfyingly large'.
Specs seemed to be DS CD Drive 486DX/33 PC VGA Graphics, 4Mb Ram etc.

It's the best home version available from the mid-90's.

• Like 1

Never noticed anything funky that way on Primal Rage (or any of the other fighters), but Wizard Of Wor OTOH! Such a shame they screwed that up. :mad:

Maybe my reaction time is getting worse as I get older. I'm getting thumped in "Destiny" most of the time too... But (in my purely unscientific. non-frames per second counting opinion) it seams that when I play Rage on my 32X it's just WAAAAAAY slower than on the PS2 Williams Greatest Hits disc. Pit Fighter also seams unplayable because it is so fast. I used to be GREAT at Stun Runner in the arcade, and the port of that (the reason I bought the 3rd disc) feels like it is running on speed. I haven't compared them on MAME, but the Digital Eclipse ports just feel off to me. Nostalgia vs. 46 year old reaction time may be the culprit though.

• 2 months later...

Not much help i know but, David Leitch who handled the MD conversion talked of how it was evident they simply were not going to be able to cram the coin-op's massive sprites in, espically since Time Warner were so adamant they could'nt have a bigger cartridge to put the code on, so they had to keep on reducing the size of the sprites (until they ended up the same size of a Mortal Kombat character) and thus the game lost it's impact.

So on cart versions like MD/SNEs etc, it seems as though Time warner simply put cost 1st, without worrying too much about what visual impact was in danger of being lost in the conversion.

Doubt they ever really 'cared' about size of sprites on Jag CD version either.

• 4 weeks later...

Thread bump:

Made a last ditch attempt to contact someone from Probe who worked on Jag CD version.Contact of mine who worked at Probe during this time period, will ask around, see what pops up.In 99% of instances like these, going on past exp, nothing does (sadly) :-( but anything is worth a shot

Time to wrap this one up as well.

Despite repeated attempts to contact Ex-Probe coder who worked on Jaguar Primal Rage CD... nothing has been heard from.

Plus Paul Carruthers kindly put the word around to a few of his fellow Ex-Probe work mates to see if anyone was involved or were ever approached with regards to Probe potentially handling conversions of things like Batman Forever (which Paul himself worked on).

Nothing ever came back in.

Seems Jaguar coders were few and far between and of those that there are, very few seem keen to discuss old projects these days.

From the 'research' i've put in over the past 18 months or so contacting people on behalf of ST Gamer/Unseen64/Classic Console Mag/GTW etc, there were often times when people were polite, but made it clear there was no prospect about talking about certain released or unreleased games, as the memory was still painful.

And i've also read likes of Mev Dinc talking of bad experiences (falling outs with some of his people) and projects canned as a result.
Also John Szczepaniak talking of how he'd tracked the Amiga development team, ICE Software, who worked on Akira, but none of them wanted to talk about it....
So even finding someone is not always going to mean your going to find out more on a commercial project, no matter what state it reached.

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to mention I am selling my second copy of Primal Rage on fleabay. I know this sort of thing "belongs in the marketplace," but I know a lot of you don't check there regularly and some of you may be looking for this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Primal-Rage-Atari-Jaguar-CD-1995-/131594961736?hash=item1ea3abc348

By the way; I started it at .99 cents with no reserve. It never ceases to amaze me how people gripe about high jaguar prices in this forum and then go list all their stuff with $200 starting bids... lol ;-)