IGNORED

Intellivisionaries Episode 13 is now live!

After finishing ep13, I have to comment: please come back for 14! :) I swear, my microphone must have been turned off or something. Maybe I was only getting picked up as ambient via Paul's and/or Will's mics.

On the other hand, maybe it was good not to hear me dominating the whole discussion for a change.

Yeah, not sure what happened there. I checked all 3 mics before we started, and they were a getting decent levels on the board. That was one of your XLR mics, Rick. Maybe it cut off after testing - bad cable connection or something? I tried to bring you up in the mix with compression (after eliminating the ground loop hum / buzz that was part of the room's electrical circuit), but I could only do so much to fix it. Edited by nurmix

Yeah, not sure what happened there. I checked all 3 mics before we started, and they were a getting decent levels on the board. That was one of your XLR mics, Rick. Maybe it cut off after testing - bad cable connection or something? I tried to bring you up in the mix with compression (after eliminating the ground loop hum / buzz that was part of the room's electrical circuit), but I could only do so much to fix it.

Maybe it was running on the same frequency as the mechanical bull that Cmart specifically requested for his room. Good times.

• Like 1

I was very surprised when Rick starting talking on the show, and his audio was lower than everyone else.

I'm sure some of you saw the photo I posted on the Facebook page of the look from Rick's room. Circus Circus right outside. While recording we had the curtains open to get the atmosphere, Paul sitting at one table with the laptop and mic, Rick at another table with a mic, and myself sitting on the edge of the bed with a mic. Had to move carefully to grab my beer and make sure I didn't make any noise that the mic would pick up.

My wife and I don't recall saddles. Either that or we're repressing those memories.

I heard rumors of people who weren't there for CGE having quite the party on Saturday night. *nudge nudge* Know what I mean *wink wink*

That's probably where the saddles were.

After finishing ep13, I have to comment: please come back for 14! :) I swear, my microphone must have been turned off or something. Maybe I was only getting picked up as ambient via Paul's and/or Will's mics.

On the other hand, maybe it was good not to hear me dominating the whole discussion for a change.

Yeah, I wondered why you were so faint. Couldn't hear you at all. Good thing Paul has a nice loud voice. :P

I also don't really enjoy the spam humor bits, but they are short and like someone said you can always skip them.

The biggest complaint I had with this podcast -- I thought this was the weakest episode of all of the Intelivisionaries ones -- was that you guys did it at CGE. As a rule, I'm NOT a fan of podcasts done at events like this. Everyone is busy, tired, drained, and their minds are too jumbled to be able to do the coverage of the episode, and anything else, any justice. The Colecovision guys made the right move, I think, in waiting to record their September episode until they got back and a few days had passed, when they were rested, clear minded, and had had a chance to pause and reflect on what had happened. The fatigue of all of you -- especily Paul -- came through loud and clear and kind of distracted from the usual high quality of work that you guys do. But like I said, I just don't like podcasts done at events, period. (Unless it's a interview or a panel, those are fine cause a lot of that happens there.)

But the content of the episode itself was good, such as the interview, so it was still enjoyable. :)

Looking forward to next month with Dracula! I've not spent much time with that game so I'll wait to try it again till the podcast is out.

The biggest complaint I had with this podcast -- I thought this was the weakest episode of all of the Intelivisionaries ones -- was that you guys did it at CGE. As a rule, I'm NOT a fan of podcasts done at events like this. Everyone is busy, tired, drained, and their minds are too jumbled to be able to do the coverage of the episode, and anything else, any justice. The Colecovision guys made the right move, I think, in waiting to record their September episode until they got back and a few days had passed, when they were rested, clear minded, and had had a chance to pause and reflect on what had happened. The fatigue of all of you -- especily Paul -- came through loud and clear and kind of distracted from the usual high quality of work that you guys do. But like I said, I just don't like podcasts done at events, period. (Unless it's a interview or a panel, those are fine cause a lot of that happens there.)

But the content of the episode itself was good, such as the interview, so it was still enjoyable. :)

Thanks for the comments. I can't disagree with you. We were a bit fatigued and tired (with worn out voices).

I'm also not a fan, in general, of expo audio, for the reasons you site. Plus it's very difficult to talk over the background noise and music (for those who choose to record in the actual expo hall); which is why we chose NOT to do any CGE interviews of Blue Sky Rangers, who were steps away at the next booth most of the weekend.

Our decision to record in Vegas - even though we were tired, and audio conditions were not optimal - was made for a few reasons...

(1) It was kind of an experiment, and a fun one at that... to be all together in one room and record an episode. We have never done that before, so there was a novelty to it, that we hoped might translate over to the recording.

(2) We were talking about a Las Vegas gambling game in Las Vegas. Seemed like a no brainer.

(3) The reality of "life responsibilities" was the main deciding factor in recording our group segments in Las Vegas. I run my own business, and it was very difficult to make the time to get away to CGE for 5+ days. When I got back, I was swamped with work, and my wife wasn't pleased that I'd been gone at my "stupid video game thing" all that time. My son just started Kindergarten and his schedule is half-day, so my available work hours for the week I returned were also cut short. Basically, I had no free time when I returned, and I knew that was going to be the case. Had we waited to record until some time when we got back, there wouldn't be an episode 13 to listen to yet, and probably wouldn't have been until some time in early October, which would have delayed episode 14, etc.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it for what it was. If we all get together at another expo, we may do things differently.

• Like 2

I was writing up something similar to what Paul just posted when I saw his coming in.

I'm also in the camp of not really enjoying con-centered episodes. I listen to a given podcast because I like what they typically do. And when that changes to a "con report" I feel like the show switched to something else. But CGE was a bit different this year in that we had a booth there, the flashbacks were being debuted there (more or less) - basically it was a big show for Intellivision. So it seemed more on-topic for our show than other cons.

But Paul's final point was the main thing that made us pull the trigger on this format - we really couldn't see any other way to get ep 13 out the door in September.

• Like 1

I was writing up something similar to what Paul just posted when I saw his coming in.

I'm also in the camp of not really enjoying con-centered episodes. I listen to a given podcast because I like what they typically do. And when that changes to a "con report" I feel like the show switched to something else. But CGE was a bit different this year in that we had a booth there, the flashbacks were being debuted there (more or less) - basically it was a big show for Intellivision. So it seemed more on-topic for our show than other cons.

But Paul's final point was the main thing that made us pull the trigger on this format - we really couldn't see any other way to get ep 13 out the door in September.

Thanks for the comments. I can't disagree with you. We were a bit fatigued and tired (with worn out voices).

I'm also not a fan, in general, of expo audio, for the reasons you site. Plus it's very difficult to talk over the background noise and music (for those who choose to record in the actual expo hall); which is why we chose NOT to do any CGE interviews of Blue Sky Rangers, who were steps away at the next booth most of the weekend.

Our decision to record in Vegas - even though we were tired, and audio conditions were not optimal - was made for a few reasons...

(1) It was kind of an experiment, and a fun one at that... to be all together in one room and record an episode. We have never done that before, so there was a novelty to it, that we hoped might translate over to the recording.

(2) We were talking about a Las Vegas gambling game in Las Vegas. Seemed like a no brainer.

(3) The reality of "life responsibilities" was the main deciding factor in recording our group segments in Las Vegas. I run my own business, and it was very difficult to make the time to get away to CGE for 5+ days. When I got back, I was swamped with work, and my wife wasn't pleased that I'd been gone at my "stupid video game thing" all that time. My son just started Kindergarten and his schedule is half-day, so my available work hours for the week I returned were also cut short. Basically, I had no free time when I returned, and I knew that was going to be the case. Had we waited to record until some time when we got back, there wouldn't be an episode 13 to listen to yet, and probably wouldn't have been until some time in early October, which would have delayed episode 14, etc.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it for what it was. If we all get together at another expo, we may do things differently.

Sure, I understand, and it makes sence when you explain it that way. Also you had no way of knowing about the mic problems with Rick.

I wish I could have gone myself, but I just started a new job and I had only been there for a week when CGE happened. Getting away for a couple work days was just not going to happen. :)

• Like 1

I think if we had double checked and listened back to some sample audio before going right into the show, we might have noticed the issue with Rick's mic. As already stated, we saw the levels and thought it was coming through alright.

Being able to record together in the same room was fantastic, and I wish we could do it more often.

• Like 2

Like closing the windows when the emergency vehicles drove by during the Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack review at around the 2 hour 3 minute mark? ;)

I was listening to it while driving at night, made me look around!

• Like 2

The windows were closed. Just the curtains were open. We were close enough to the street as it was that it was able to be picked up by 3 hot microphones in a room.

There's another podcast I listen to that has a soundclip with emergency vehicles in the background on purpose. There were people who would call into the show and tell him about how they were tricked.

On the round table talks we turned off the AC to reduce noise, but I think you can hear me sweating :)

and the reason the part two round table 'trailed off' was mostly because we paused to turn the AC back on to cool down the room, and kept discussing other things and rick didn't bother starting the recording back up since we figured we'd pontificated enough :)

gavv

I got a little further in the episode, and I really enjoyed the bit with the engineer who worked on the Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack cartridge. The "political" reasons behind doing a non-action game never occurred to me. Patents! Meh. Looks like this is Ralph Baer's take on this situation from his perspective. It's fascinating to hear about the wild west days when the industry was just starting.

Count me among the people who don't really care for convention coverage. It was neat that you captured a bit of the high score contest, but I completely skipped over the roundtable. It reminds me of paying for expensive university classes with fancy professors, only to be put into small groups for student-led activities. One can learn from peers, but personally, I'd rather hear from the experts. No offense meant to anyone in the roundtable, but I'm less interested in someones reaction to a product than I am in hearing from the people who were there to make it happen.

Of course, I also feel a little FOMO from not going to the convention. Maybe I'll join you guys at something on the east coast someday.

• Like 1