IGNORED

Phase 1 - can I even do it?

Phase 1 of the Intellivision cartridge shell project....can I even do it?

post-9102-0-51138300-1412261291_thumb.jpg

post-9102-0-77276600-1412261303_thumb.jpg

Sure, it can be done, no question...but can "I" do it??

My co workers took a look at the shell and said "impossible" as they shook their heads at another one of my crazy ideas ...not the response I had hoped for.

True, we are sheet metal guys, we do 2D, this is 3D...

Also True, we make BIG stuff, this is little stuff...

True once again, we do not do wood, we do metal....

Ugh, the odds are against me but would not be the first time. I have a reputation for making things work. We will have wood cartridge shells...WE WILL HAVE WOOD CARTRIDGE SHELLS!!!

(Disclaimer - this could take a really long time, lol)

PROJECT - Wood cartridge shells for the Intellision

Status - Phase 1 (can I even do it?)

Public Interest - Unknown but assumed good

Deadline - Winter

Progress - CAD Drawing 40% completed

I want to make this happen...

:)

• Like 3

You're crazy but it's fun ! :)

So, will you accept send it to me if you sell one of them? :/

Oh man, I forgot to get back to you about the Brotherhood sign, sending PM now :)

You can do it.

But, should you fail, how about a:

Wooden intellivision console shell!

Mmmmm real wood grain....

I have a fun little wood project before this, coming real soon, I think you might like it :)

If you could seriously produce wood cartridge shells in quantities of more than 1, I'm envisioning special "even more limited edition" homebrew releases.

That would be the end goal. I'd like to make them still available as singles for anyone that just wants one for whatever reason, but it would be awesome to make some nice stained wood cartridge shells for limited edition releases/etc..maybe some nice fine point etched metal end labels but I'm trying not to think too far ahead though so I don't feel crushed if I can't get it right.

Going to make two dummy shell halves this weekend. Basically just want to get the outer dimensions correct and make sure this hard wood can slide nice and tight inside the Intellivisions hole, ugh, those above posts are influencing my choice of words here ;)

...but yeah, going to get the outer dimensions right, then see how much I can mill out of the center to fit a PCB without compromising the strength of the wood/etc...

All signs point to this being possible for me the more I look at it, but since we run rather large parts (sometimes 20' long) it's not a big deal if we are off by 1/8th inch or so where as here it would be crucial to have near perfect tolerances.