IGNORED

Mega Speedy, the ultimate 1050 upgrade. Intrest assesment.

guus.assmann

14 hours ago, HiassofT said:

Out of curiosity: which chip did you use?

so long,

Hias

You'll hit your forehead, but due to the lack of the SST39SF040 I used the SST39VF040 2.7-3.6V (manufacturer ID $BF, device ID $D7) - I have a lot of them. It's going for now. I found the SST39SF040 at Farnell and am awaiting delivery.

Ryswoj2

On 3/9/2023 at 7:15 AM, macsonny said:

I'm starting to think there might be an issue with the firmware I used to flash the unit. Can you please send me the files you used to flash the two chips? I'm using firmware v1.10 and wondering if I've done something wrong there?

I also used firmware version 1.10. Have you checked the continuity of the connections between the encoder and the Xilinx?
I have attached the rom and logic files that I used and the PCB view with marked Config_1 and Config_2 signals coming from the encoder to Xilinx.

CONFIG_1.jpg

CONFIG_2.jpg

megaspeedy-stock.rom megaspeedy-logic-V1.10-170612.zip

11 hours ago, ryswoj2 said:

You'll hit your forehead, but due to the lack of the SST39SF040 I used the SST39VF040 2.7-3.6V (manufacturer ID $BF, device ID $D7) - I have a lot of them. It's going for now. I found the SST39SF040 at Farnell and am awaiting delivery.

Ryswoj2

Well, I guess you are well aware of what you are doing so no further comments on the chip choice here 🙂

I'm glad you got it working and fingers crossed the 3V3 flash will do it's job until your Farnell shipment arrives!

so long,

Hias

Hello ryswoj2,

Nice to see that it works ok.
The IS Plate, I don't have that one and am not familiar with it.
Can you please post it as well, so maybe I can get it into my units as well.
Still haven't updated them to the latest CPLD and other firmware actually 🙂

BR/

Guus Assmann

Edited by guus.assmann
Typo

2 hours ago, guus.assmann said:

The IS Plate, I don't have that one and am not familiar with it.
Can you please post it as well, so maybe I can get it into my units as well.
Still haven't updated them to the latest CPLD and other firmware actually 🙂

BR/

Guus Assmann

Hello

I attach ROM IS Plate and Toms Multi Drive with working Track Copier. IS Plate, of course, requires modification of the Mega Speedy software and logic to version 1.10

Ryswoj2

ISPlate 2.0.0.rom TOMS1050_ROM.bin

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 3/11/2023 at 6:07 AM, ryswoj2 said:

I also used firmware version 1.10. Have you checked the continuity of the connections between the encoder and the Xilinx?
I have attached the rom and logic files that I used and the PCB view with marked Config_1 and Config_2 signals coming from the encoder to Xilinx.

CONFIG_1.jpg

CONFIG_2.jpg

megaspeedy-stock.rom 512 kB · 10 downloads megaspeedy-logic-V1.10-170612.zip 1.11 MB · 11 downloads

Just looking at your boards they look a little different to mine. Are you able to share the PCB files you show here too?

• 10 months later...

Hello, I managed to make a Mega Speedy 1050 clone with minor corrections and changes. Now the display works great after using the encoder with backlight. I had to make some changes to the PCB to improve performance. In general, everything started thanks to the help of the creators of the original ;) I am posting photos and a video (film in Polish).

Unfortunately, since the first pieces were made (2014), prices have changed quite a bit. Now the cost of all the parts alone is around $130. Not to mention the time and work it takes to assemble, program, and test ;)

IMG_20240403_183702.jpg

IMG_20240404_215237.jpg

MegaSpeedy PCB 1.jpg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Back when I made the units, I got the CPU's and Ram-chips from Chinese vendors.

For the processors, I got 2 or 3 failures and got some refunds. These parts were about 5 Euro on average !

The RAM chips were all ok.

Flash-roms came from Farnell.

The CPLD´s were assembled and delivered by the PCB manufacturer. Not sure, but it could have been JLCPCB.

I had about 10 failures, that were fixed by manual resoldering.

I made 10 prototypes, fully by hand.

On the 100 + 50 units in the serial production, I had 3 that I couldn´t get to work at all.

And only 4 or 5 waranty claims, where the unit could be fixed. (They had bad solder joints)

The rotary encoders and displays were a problem. Distrilec and Farnell.

So I removed a lot of displays from defective PCB's that I got from my employer.

This also saved some cost of course.

All of this took a lot of work, but saved the buyers a lot of money.

And I had ABBUC to refund all parts quite fast.

BR/

Guus Assmann

Edited by guus.assmann
Typos
  • Thanks 1

And not managed not to get one because life went crazy, but I missed the prototype offering as well, it's been a grueling number of years.. thanks for making it seem better even if it doesn't always work out for everyone, it does work out for someone! That's hope for all!

Fortunately, with the help of Guus, among others, I managed to refine the module so that everything works, including the encoder backlight. Encoder selection works fully. Unfortunately, to avoid unpleasant surprises, I do not order CPLD from Chinese friends because, unfortunately, their substitutes cause many problems. Personally, I prefer to pay more but be 100% sure that everything will work without problems ;) Currently, all the modules I have made (there are 5 of them) all work. I also solder everything by hand ;)

• Like 3

The prototypes I made, were also soldered by hand.

And at some point, I replaced the CPLD 9572 by a 95144 with more logic inside.

This was also done by hand on 8 or 10 units.

Soldering 150 units all by hand was a bit too much.

And the PCB manufacturer did deliver original CPLD's, I'm sure.

I had them assemble all SMD parts onto the top of the PCB, they wouldn't do the parts on the bottom side as well.

And the Ram I also did myself.

The sockets for the Flash were also soldered in China and that was not so good. (About 15 failures if I remember correctly)

For price reasons, the flat cable to the display was soldered/crimped on one side.

BR/

Guus

18 hours ago, guus.assmann said:

The prototypes I made, were also soldered by hand.

And at some point, I replaced the CPLD 9572 by a 95144 with more logic inside.

This was also done by hand on 8 or 10 units.

Soldering 150 units all by hand was a bit too much.

And the PCB manufacturer did deliver original CPLD's, I'm sure.

I had them assemble all SMD parts onto the top of the PCB, they wouldn't do the parts on the bottom side as well.

And the Ram I also did myself.

The sockets for the Flash were also soldered in China and that was not so good. (About 15 failures if I remember correctly)

For price reasons, the flat cable to the display was soldered/crimped on one side.

BR/

Guus

Do you have the CPLD code to program the 9572 as the current firmware is for 95144??

3 hours ago, macsonny said:

Do you have the CPLD code to program the 9572 as the current firmware is for 95144??

Not really, we only used the 9572 in the very first prototypes which weren't anything like the final version (only stock/happy/speedy/turbo1050 mode supported, no flashing capability, mode selected by jumpers etc).

The 9572 was way too small and I remember I had to temporarily disable stuff like the track display to make room for testing additional modes (usdoubler etc).

Even the 95144 is really full, I already had to play with fitter settings to make the latest logic version fit (see MegaSpeedy.rpt)

cpldfit:  version P.20131013                        Xilinx Inc.
                                  Fitter Report
Design Name: MegaSpeedy                          Date:  6-12-2017, 10:22PM
Device Used: XC95144XL-10-TQ100
Fitting Status: Successful

*************************  Mapped Resource Summary  **************************

Macrocells     Product Terms    Function Block   Registers      Pins           
Used/Tot       Used/Tot         Inps Used/Tot    Used/Tot       Used/Tot       
132/144 ( 92%) 488 /720  ( 68%) 340/432 ( 79%)   56 /144 ( 39%) 81 /81  (100%)

** Function Block Resources **

Function    Mcells      FB Inps     Pterms      IO          
Block       Used/Tot    Used/Tot    Used/Tot    Used/Tot    
FB1          16/18       53/54       88/90      11/11*
FB2          16/18       41/54       59/90      10/10*
FB3          15/18       45/54       77/90      10/10*
FB4          15/18       47/54       73/90      10/10*
FB5          16/18       41/54       59/90      10/10*
FB6          18/18*      30/54       25/90      10/10*
FB7          18/18*      39/54       34/90      10/10*
FB8          18/18*      44/54       73/90      10/10*
             -----       -----       -----      -----    
            132/144     340/432     488/720     81/81 

* - Resource is exhausted

so long,

Hias

34 minutes ago, HiassofT said:

Not really, we only used the 9572 in the very first prototypes which weren't anything like the final version (only stock/happy/speedy/turbo1050 mode supported, no flashing capability, mode selected by jumpers etc).

The 9572 was way too small and I remember I had to temporarily disable stuff like the track display to make room for testing additional modes (usdoubler etc).

Even the 95144 is really full, I already had to play with fitter settings to make the latest logic version fit (see MegaSpeedy.rpt)

cpldfit:  version P.20131013                        Xilinx Inc.
                                  Fitter Report
Design Name: MegaSpeedy                          Date:  6-12-2017, 10:22PM
Device Used: XC95144XL-10-TQ100
Fitting Status: Successful

*************************  Mapped Resource Summary  **************************

Macrocells     Product Terms    Function Block   Registers      Pins           
Used/Tot       Used/Tot         Inps Used/Tot    Used/Tot       Used/Tot       
132/144 ( 92%) 488 /720  ( 68%) 340/432 ( 79%)   56 /144 ( 39%) 81 /81  (100%)

** Function Block Resources **

Function    Mcells      FB Inps     Pterms      IO          
Block       Used/Tot    Used/Tot    Used/Tot    Used/Tot    
FB1          16/18       53/54       88/90      11/11*
FB2          16/18       41/54       59/90      10/10*
FB3          15/18       45/54       77/90      10/10*
FB4          15/18       47/54       73/90      10/10*
FB5          16/18       41/54       59/90      10/10*
FB6          18/18*      30/54       25/90      10/10*
FB7          18/18*      39/54       34/90      10/10*
FB8          18/18*      44/54       73/90      10/10*
             -----       -----       -----      -----    
            132/144     340/432     488/720     81/81 

* - Resource is exhausted

so long,

Hias

No worries. I have 4 x 9572 sitting around and have built a few more boards but didn't have any 95144. Have ordered another 5 x 95144 at a stupid price. They used to be ~ $5 each and now around $30!

10 hours ago, guus.assmann said:

Hello,

Have a look at Reichelt Elektronik in Germany.

They're asking 12,35 Euro for the XC 95144XL TQ100.

BR/

Guus

Thanks Guys. Have ordered 3. I'm a bit worried about counterfeit units from other countries ;-)

Edited by macsonny

Hello,

From a company in Germany, you don't need to worry at all.

I've ordered many parts from this particular company and never had any complaints.

And the prices are also reasonable.

Not the very lowest, but ok. And they have a lot in stock as well.

BR/

Guus

I discovered an interesting thing, namely the XC95144XL 10TQ100C system cannot be programmed and behaves as if it was damaged, while the XC95144XL 10TQG100C or 10TQG100AWN system works without any problems. The difference of one letter G where should not matter, but it does. Unfortunately, you need to have a reliable source of CPLD chips. Unfortunately, those purchased in China do not always work or may show errors during operation. Below is a photo of two finished Atari 1050 stations with panels printed at the factory.

433140491_389553437229268_2980627084620022590_n.jpg

Edited by GALTRON
  • Like 4

On 4/12/2024 at 3:43 PM, olix said:

I am also interested in one ore two front  panels for my existing mega speedy.

I can send some of my test prints and also print new ones. Shipping should be easy as we´re in the same country. ;)

But: All 1050s are different. I still have like a dozen of 1050s here (used to have much more when I tested the print file that floats around) and the bezel did fit perfectly on only one of them. So I´ll send you some and you give me feedback which fits best for you. Actually, the geometry of the STL-file I got from the web is not matching my expectations, so I´ve started creating my "own" version from scratch some time ago but still didn´t finish due to time and health issues.

But with having quit my job (my last live show will be on May 11th, if you are close to Hamburg, Germany, come and watch it ;) ) I start getting more time and actually finished some other long lasting things. Will put the 1050 MS-bevel up in priority now.

• Thanks 1

The prints I order from the factory are, in addition to 3D printing, sandblasted, smoothed and hardened, so they look like they came from an injection molding machine (original). It is not a cheap operation, but it is worth the price. It looks amazing as you can see in the photo. Indeed, when I received the finished print, the lower bevels did not fit slightly, but I solved this problem by manually adjusting it to the floppy drive and it fit every one I had, and there were about 20 of them. I can order more from the factory and fit and sell.

If anyone wants, I also attach an STL file so they can print it themselves. But I printed on one of the more expensive home 3D printers and there is nothing to compare it to. The one from the factory looks like the original, and the one made at home looks terrible and unsightly.

430809311_961628505603120_6417737711364725968_n.jpg

ATARI 1050 MegaSpeedy panel.stl

Edited by GALTRON
  • Like 8