IGNORED

4Anoid - Arkanoid conversion for the TI-99/4A

OLD CS1

I harbor no ill feelings toward Taito on this matter. I truly want my rendition to be an homage and tribute to the original game and its authors. But irrespective of the intention of the developer, there are original rights to respect and reputations to protect.

In particular, Taito has a very good following for Arkanoid, well enough that is has seen a few successful releases recently to various modern platforms. Given that history and following, there must also be the concern that something produced outside of Taito's control could be, well, crap. Guiding a project, be it professional or hobbyist, to ensure product quality standard would require a team or at least a contact, either of which would be expending company resources on a non-company project while they could be doing other profitable work.

I certainly do not hold Taito in any disdain. This is all I have to say publicly about the subject. Just know that I am continuing my journey to create my first legitimate game for the TI-99/4A. I am blessed with a pretty persistent and determined personal nature, not to mention an awesome community of similarly-minded people, and I am not by any means disenchanted.

So keep an eye out. I will have other news as time rolls on. I appreciate everyone's support and enthusiasm. I promise not to disappoint.

• Like 1

No, needs to be sufficiently different, while I believe that "-noid" cannot be forbidden because it is part of "paranoid".

About a decade ago, some former collegues and I set up a small company which we named "ACCSIS". When we heard of ongoing legal cases because of naming conflicts we decided to officially register our name. It did not take very long until we were informed by the German Patents and Trademark Office (DPMA) that an objection had been filed by another company which offers a software product "ACTIS". In the eyes of DPMA, our named indeed infringed the rights of the other company so that they acknowledged the objection and deleted our registration. Of course, we had the option of bringing this to the patents court, but as a pretty small company we decided not to follow that path. Anyway, I guess there was not really a problem, as the name clashed in section "Software" but our name was a company name. Maybe it did not even make sense to try to register a company name in that way

Interestingly I wonder if Taito originally had to get permission from Atari to do a Breakout clone? as that is what Arkanoid is.

I would say just turn it into another variation of Breakout, but one that is more like Arkanoid.

Funnily enough I was thinking exactly the same thing, it's a bit rich of Taito to protect the "intellectual property" of a game that is in fact a souped up rip off of Breakout. (all though, it is a damn good one) ;)

Funnily enough I was thinking exactly the same thing, it's a bit rich of Taito to protect the "intellectual property" of a game that is in fact a souped up rip off of Breakout. (all though, it is a damn good one) ;)

They do not, actually. Not by the cited message.

"... to approve your use of Arkanoid."

In my eyes this should more clearly read: your use of "Arkanoid". They do not say that it is illegal to create a similar game.

They do not, actually. Not by the cited message.

"... to approve your use of Arkanoid."

In my eyes this should more clearly read: your use of "Arkanoid". They do not say that it is illegal to create a similar game.

Indeed. They have stopped short of saying you can't do it. They're only saying that they do not sanction it.

However, that does not change the (possible - I haven't checked) fact that Arkanoid may well be (for example) a registered trademark. That could be a little sticky.

Maybe you could change the topic title to "4Anoid - An Arkanoid clone".

There certainly seems to be many spins on the name, graphics, sounds etc., and all through the years. Here's a few:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/remember-arkanoid-4-breakout-clones-you-can-play-today

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=magory.brick

http://magory.net

If you're sticking with the TI-99/4A, you're effectively doing a "demake". Arkanoid is 1986. TI-99/4A is 1981 to 1984 (Texas Instruments officially left the home computer market on March 28, 1984 when the last machine was produced and the assembly lines were shut down forever). Not that this puts it in the clear, just thought Taito should know (assuming they're on to this).

4kanoid sounds closer to Arkanoid

I had a list of possible names when I initially made contact. "4kanoid" was on the list, but dropped due to the inevitable homophone progression of "4k" to "fork" and so on. At least in my mind. Plus "4Anoid" retains elements of the original name together with the "4A" model smooshed in. Not that it matters. :grin:

• Like 2