IGNORED

The Ultimate Intellivision Flashback

Byte Knight

I gather that updating jzintv on the Pi is more involved than simply copying over 6 new files in the bin folder from yesterday's Linux release? I tried doing just that, and the emulator quits with a syntax error. What's needed to apply the update?

I also see that RetroPie card image 2.5.0 beta is out and supports the new Raspberry Pi 2. If anyone jumps in the deep end and tries this out, please let us know the results.

What error did you get?

I have tested my 2.4.2 package with the Retropie 2.5 package and it works fine. I have the B+ and not the 2 board. If you have the 2 board, there are a few lines that need to be added to the config.txt.

What error did you get?

I have tested my 2.4.2 package with the Retropie 2.5 package and it works fine. I have the B+ and not the 2 board. If you have the 2 board, there are a few lines that need to be added to the config.txt.

I have the B+ and am running the 2.4.2 software. What I first tried was copying these 5 files from the new jzintv linux download posted last night into the jzintv bin folder on the Pi:

as 1600

dasm 1600

dasm 1600o

dis 1600

jzintv

(I left the existing file "izo_embed" file as there's no replacement for it in the latest jzintv download)

When I launched a game, the message on the screen shows the path to the emulator and an unspecified syntax error. Then I tried copying all 23 items from the new jzintv bin folder onto the Pi, but I got the same error message. I then emptied the bin folder on the Pi and copied the original 6 files from your 2.4 package back to the Pi and the games launch normally again.

Have you or anyone else tried yesterday's jzintv update on the Pi and gotten it to work? Details, please.

What error did you get?

hey dave the sdl gfx problem is a problem in the config.txt. Thats the error i got because i forgot to turn on overscan scale when i turned on the up down left right overscans. Your problem is probably in that file

hey dave the sdl gfx problem is a problem in the config.txt. Thats the error i got because i forgot to turn on overscan scale when i turned on the up down left right overscans. Your problem is probably in that file

I tried you suggestion to no avail. I also tried with a clean Retropie 2.5 install ONLY copying over the roms (no other changes). The jzIntv that is included works perfectly. I then copied over the new version of jzIntv and I get the error. This has nothing to do with changes I am making because I am not making any. It works for others but not me. I must have done something bad in my past life or this one (hahahaha) wait...why am I laughing...

Maybe it is time to get a Raspberry 2.

I tried you suggestion to no avail. I also tried with a clean Retropie 2.5 install ONLY copying over the roms (no other changes). The jzIntv that is included works perfectly. I then copied over the new version of jzIntv and I get the error. This has nothing to do with changes I am making because I am not making any. It works for others but not me. I must have done something bad in my past life or this one (hahahaha) wait...why am I laughing...

Maybe it is time to get a Raspberry 2.

possibly a 2.5 problem?

Hmm. This may be the same problem i was having when i tried to run jzintv the first day i installed the pi. No matter how many times i redid the image and added your stuff i had problems. Next day and every day since not a single problem. I would try also simplifying the es_systems.cfg down to intellivision only. Try changing settings like 640x480. Just to verify it isnt a problem in there. Which it easily could be

I'll try to give you a step-by-step version of the initial setup. Good instructions for Raspberry Pi virgins are here (that is what I followed):

1. Download the RetroPie disk image from here. You can use either the 2.3 image or the 2.4.2 beta. The difference is that the 2.3 image includes a graphical interface for working in Linux. The 2.4.2 beta has more recent software but no graphical interface to help set up wifi.

2. Format your SD card and install the RetroPie image. Windows users can use Win32DiskImager. Macintosh users can use Apple-Pi-Baker. When that's done, insert the card in your Raspberry Pi.

3. Connect your keyboard & mouse and Ultimate Interface. Turn on your TV, then the Pi, and the computer should boot. You should eventually see the the EmulationStation gamepad configuration screen. If you don't, double-check steps 1 and 2 above.

attachicon.gifgamepad.jpg

4. Instead of following the on-screen prompts to configure your game controllers just yet, press F4 to exit EmulationStation.

5. At the command line, type sudo raspi-config to enter the configuration menu.

attachicon.gifRaspberry-Pi-raspi-config-screen-1.png

6. Choose "Expand File System" and wait a minute for the process to finish.

7. If you like, choose "Internationalization Options" and enter your keyboard, location, and time zone information.

8. Choose "Advanced Options" and enable SSH so yo can transfer files over your network.

9. Choose "Advanced Options" and select "Memory Split." Change the number to either 192 or 128. When that's done, select "Finish" and the Pi will reboot.

10. When the EmulationStation gamepad configuration menu appears again, go ahead and configure your controller so you can use it to navigate through EmulationStation with your Intellivision controller. If you mess up at some point, don't worry. You can easily change this configuration.

attachicon.gifes config.jpg

11. Assuming you're going to use wifi to transfer file, the next step is to connect to your network. If you're not going to plug in directly using an ethernet cable, type F4 to exit EmulationStation and follow the instructions either here or here to connect to your wifi network via the command line. If you're using the 2.3 RetroPie image and prefer a graphical interface, type sudo startx at the command line to launch the Pi's graphical interface. From there, search the task bar menu for "wpa_gui" and then follow the instructions here to get connected to your network. Make a note of the IP address assigned to your Pi. You'll need that in step 13.

attachicon.gifwpa_gui.png

12. Navigate back to the command line and type this:

cd RetroPie-Setup

sudo ./retropie_setup.sh

Choose the third option, "Setup" and select "Register RetroArch Controller." Follow the instructions on the screen to configure the Intellivision controller. If you mess up, repeat the setup. When you're done, use the "Perform Reboot" option to restart the Pi.

attachicon.gifRetroPie2_024.png

13. Now you're ready to transfer files. Use an FTP program like FileZilla to log in to your Raspberry Pi. Use the name "root" and the password "raspberry". You'll want to use SFTP as your protocol and connect through port 22.

14. If you haven't done so already, download the package of files that matches your disk image over at intellivision.us and follow the instructions on that page for copying over the files into the proper directories.

15. When all that is done, reboot the Pi one last time and you should be good to go.

Hopefully I haven't left out anything important, but if you hit some bumps in the road, as all of us have to one degree or another, someone here will help you out.

Just trying to set this all up again (after more than a weeks absense) and while I cannot get the wifi going I do have a ethernet cable also plugged in so should be able to copy whatever is required.

I have got the controllers working so they navigate the screens and have for selection-

ports

macintosh

IBM

appleII

scummvm

The next step I assume would be to add intellivision to the list for selection and please excuse my ignorance but how do I do that?

Just trying to set this all up again (after more than a weeks absense) and while I cannot get the wifi going I do have a ethernet cable also plugged in so should be able to copy whatever is required.

I have got the controllers working so they navigate the screens and have for selection-

ports

macintosh

IBM

appleII

scummvm

The next step I assume would be to add intellivision to the list for selection and please excuse my ignorance but how do I do that?

you have to put the roms in the /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/intellivision folder. Then you need to place the commercial versions of exec.bin, grom.bin, ecs.bin, and ivoice.bin (no caps on any of the names) in the /opt/retropie/emulators/jzintv/rom/ folder. Also you need to add all the files that david put on his site. Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 1

ports

macintosh

IBM

appleII

scummvm

Yes, what pimpmaul69 said. Putting games in the Intellivision roms folder will get Intellivision to show up in the menu (and removing games from those other folders will take them off the menu). For the games to actually run, the Intellivision's "system files" (exec, grom, ecs) must be in the emulator's proper folder. After that, the files that David provides named es_systems.config and hackfile.cfg must be copied over. Once that's done, everything will work, but the rest of David's files will make things super nice.

• Like 1

Yes, what pimpmaul69 said. Putting games in the Intellivision roms folder will get Intellivision to show up in the menu (and removing games from those other folders will take them off the menu). For the games to actually run, the Intellivision's "system files" (exec, grom, ecs) must be in the emulator's proper folder. After that, the files that David provides named es_systems.config and hackfile.cfg must be copied over. Once that's done, everything will work, but the rest of David's files will make things super nice.

Thanks,

Will have another look at this tonight. I realize this is not all that hard but for me it's "uncharted territory" :?

What error did you get?

About that "few lines that needed to be added to the config.txt"

Any help?

I just set up everything today. Raspberry Pi 2

It nearly works.

I'm not getting sound. Is sound supposed to be there through the HDMI, or do i have to use the headphone jack?

I started Shark Shark! but can only get to the beginning screen where you are supposed to press 1 or 2.

Pressing 1 or 2 does not input on either controller. (Intellivision Flashback controllers).

Yes, I have flashed the Ultimate PC Interface with the latest firmware.

About that "few lines that needed to be added to the config.txt"

Any help?

I just set up everything today. Raspberry Pi 2

It nearly works.

I'm not getting sound. Is sound supposed to be there through the HDMI, or do i have to use the headphone jack?

I started Shark Shark! but can only get to the beginning screen where you are supposed to press 1 or 2.

Pressing 1 or 2 does not input on either controller. (Intellivision Flashback controllers).

Yes, I have flashed the Ultimate PC Interface with the latest firmware.

you have to add the hackfile from daves package for the controllers to work in jzintv

I started over.

I went with retropie-v2.6.0-rpi2.img.gz over the 2.5 beta for my Raspberry Pi 2.

Sound now works.

When copying over "simple install" "DOWNLOAD for RetroPie 2.4.x", I made sure to change the /boot config.txt to attached file.

And the WiFi networking that you have already set up and working, the copying over overwrites your wpa_supplicant.conf file with your SSID and password, so you have to go back and put them back in.

Other than that overscan becomes too much, everything is mostly working.

I need to figure out a few things like I want to use atari600-stella but it doesn't show on emulationstation.

config.txt

I started over.

I went with retropie-v2.6.0-rpi2.img.gz over the 2.5 beta for my Raspberry Pi 2.

Sound now works.

When copying over "simple install" "DOWNLOAD for RetroPie 2.4.x", I made sure to change the /boot config.txt to attached file.

And the WiFi networking that you have already set up and working, the copying over overwrites your wpa_supplicant.conf file with your SSID and password, so you have to go back and put them back in.

Other than that overscan becomes too much, everything is mostly working.

I need to figure out a few things like I want to use atari600-stella but it doesn't show on emulationstation.

i posted the settings a page back to fix overscan.