IGNORED

The Ultimate Intellivision Flashback

Byte Knight

I started over.

I went with retropie-v2.6.0-rpi2.img.gz over the 2.5 beta for my Raspberry Pi 2.

Sound now works.

When copying over "simple install" "DOWNLOAD for RetroPie 2.4.x", I made sure to change the /boot config.txt to attached file.

And the WiFi networking that you have already set up and working, the copying over overwrites your wpa_supplicant.conf file with your SSID and password, so you have to go back and put them back in.

Other than that overscan becomes too much, everything is mostly working.

I need to figure out a few things like I want to use atari600-stella but it doesn't show on emulationstation.

I have not tried the 2.6 package yet. Stella 2600 should have shown up.

Try adjusting your TV not to zoom or overscan. The package you downloaded is defined for 1080p. Is your TV 720?

I have not tried the 2.6 package yet. Stella 2600 should have shown up.

Try adjusting your TV not to zoom or overscan. The package you downloaded is defined for 1080p. Is your TV 720?

this happens on 1080p or 720p. This is what i was giving a fix for. He can run everything in 1080p just has to fix the overscan settings in config.txt. The config.txt isnt set in 1080p. It uses what your tv supports. Not every tv has the options you speak of. Before my fix i had to use a zoom setting to fix it. Now it works on the 16:9 widescreen setting after applying the fix Edited by pimpmaul69

I'm in 1080p.

Most things are good.

I had to change some permissions for ColecoVision to work.

Still can not get Atari 2600 to work.

In /roms it has "atari2600" "atari2600-libretro" and "atari2600-stella"

I'd like a version with at least DPC+ support as games I'm making and playing use Stella 3.6 or later (I think).

I got Atari2600 (Stella - it's version 3.7.x) to work. It runs our DK Arcade 2600 which makes me very happy, but some older DPC+ sound demos don't run properly.

Note: Atari2600 did work the first time I set everything up with the 2.5 beta, but not with the 2.6.

It had something to do with the display mode.

To fix, I had to make a change in dispmanx.cfg file that contained stella=1 to stella=3.

Now it runs fine!

That config file is in: /opt/retropie/configs/all/dispmanx.cfg

(Tried the hitting x or m when launching and picking a resolution, but it still threw an error.)

I like to find the place to force Stella into phosphor mode, and for it to change to OpenGL instead of software rendering. Maybe that's something to put in es_systems.cfg?

Sorry for slightly going off topic.

I did make this to put into the Intellivision Flashback like my AtariAge friend Byte Knight did (and started this thread). Big :thumbsup:

I hope everyone likes to read my experiences with 2.6 and Raspberry Pi 2?

I've registered at intellivision.us forums, but haven't been Moderator Approved yet.

• Like 2

Lot to learn with this baby, I just got mine with a lot of help from Pimpmaul69. (THANK YOU!)

I'm very lame with command line stuff...but all I can say is "Who Wouldn't Want One." I'm down with a migraine today so I'm not doing' much with it, it just want to give a shout out and thank you to everybody here who helped work stuff out. I love the Ultimate Flashback.

Thank you all. Hope I can do good deeds on the forum to pay back all the support.

Hi Guys ,

this forum is very Amazing .

I read all page (i hope ).

I try retropie 2.3 and 2.4 on my raspberry is perfect

I tr 2.5 on rasperry Pi 2 and now is perfect (some problem )

I try to configure xbox 360 remote control and now i have a problem .

Installation driver is automatict , in emulation station is perfect but in jzintv i have a problem .

The disc emulation of intellivision is automatic (and work fine ) for the keypad i must edit the famous hackfile.cfg.

To control the key of my Joypad i play the rom event_diag i see that the second analog stick (on the right) is not avaiable and the d-Pad can only emule 4 button .

I need 8 emulation key to play for example Tron .

Can you help me ?

Thanks for all

do the usb dongle like i did and then install another ultimate pc interface into a synthesizer with a usb out. ;) Iknow! I know! the idea of altering the synthesizer. :ponder: As soon as a can find a working ecs keyboard i am gonna do that to it. Too bad you cant find any ecs computer crap on ebay anymore. I guess im gonna have to shell out $90 for a brown keyboard only from Australia.... (But hey, it is brown :))

Hello, PimpMaul69!

When using 2 UltPCInterfaces, have the outermost 2 ports be for the keyjoypad controllers, and the innermost 2 ports be those to plug in the Intellivision Music Synthesizer keyboard; use a wireless keyboard to play the ECS/Computer Component games and programs.

When NOT USING the Music Synthesizer, all 4 ports can be for 4 keyjoypad controllers—for 4-player gameplay.

Hello!

I do have Emulation Station on both my desktop PC (an HP Pavilion p6520f) and my laptop PC (a Toshiba Satellite C655 notebook), but UNABLE to play any games through it—yet! How do I set up my CONFIG file to recognize my emulators (which is CRUCIALLY IMPORTANT—I do plan to do an ULTIMATE INTELLIVISION FLASHBACK project eventually, so it’ll only help me on doing this kind of configuration)?!

I plan to run these emulators via ES:

·INTELLIVISION: jzINTV

·ATARI 2600 VCS: Stella 4

Would you know about the BEST emulators for these other consoles:

·ATARI 5200 VCS

·ATARI 7800 VCS

·COLECOVISION/ADAM

·EMERSON ARCADIA 2100

·MATTEL ELECTRONICS AQUARIUS

Any help on doing a CONFIG file for ES would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

[quote name=revolutionika" post="3182548" timestamp="1424524171

Inquiring minds want to know!

]

Yes, I really want to know, did we miss some games or something?

yes I'm inquiring and really want to know?

Also whats up with the "FONT" kinda creepy crawly thing......

I moved my Pi setup to one of the small clear cases that comes with the kits that are sold. I'm going to be building one like this for a friend. The Ultimate Interface will just fit inside, but it wasn't as easy as I'd hoped.

post-39531-0-76515200-1424540135_thumb.jpgpost-39531-0-94349200-1424540134_thumb.jpg

Advantages:

- it's literally the size of a deck of cards. Talk about portable..

- I can unplug the USB to change controllers and reset the Ultimate Interface or use it by itself once again with a PC.

- Easy access to the SD card. I could also enlarge the opening in the top of the case to have access to the UI's dip switches

- All the status lights are visible.

Disadvantages:

- No reset button

- The case isn't nostalgic

Tips:

- I shaved a bit off the nubs on the case under the Pi to lower it a bit to make the fit better.

- I used a piece of clear plastic under the Ultimate Interface to keep it from contacting the Pi.

- To gain space, I had to remove the USB jack on the Ultimate Interface and solder the cable directly to the board.

- Even though I was careful, all the repositioning of the controller cables to determine the best arrangement resulted in loose connections that had to be re-soldered.

- The USB cable could exit the case from the other side just as easily. I just chose to group it with the controller cables.

So that's another option for putting one of these together. Any way you package them, jzintv and the Pi are awesome.

Edited by mthompson
  • Like 2

I have noticed a difference.

I must have a newer build of Emulation Station.
That, and I installed the 2.6 RetroPie image.

I have Intellivision, and to the right of that is ECSIntellivision.
Also on the Intellivision game selection screen, in the upper right where it says Mattel Intellivision, the videos show a simple uppercase font, where mine has an Mattel font! (I changed Atari 2600 in that emulator section to the Atari font that looks like the text carts, and made it say "ATARI" in caps above "video computer system™" lowercase, really, with the TM).

Also you can edit a 1 to a 0 for the Description, so the sentences are upper and lower case. Much more easy to read than all caps!

I ordered a Raspberry Pi 2 yesterday. I'll get back into this once it arrives.

I got pretty discouraged by the poor performance of the Pi B+ and by the Emulation Station interface which refuses to respect my overscan settings. I use it with a CRT, so I need it to to be in standard definition and it displays widescreen no matter what. I have the emulator set to an exact screen-size match with my original Intellivision, but Emulation Station won't behave.

I'm hoping the Pi 2 will run all games full speed (something the B+ would not do, even with the posted overclock settings) and maybe even run other systems at full speed. I'd also like to get the theme looking like it belongs with the original Intellivision. The one in this pack is fine for an Intellivision II, but I'd much prefer colors and images that match the original Intellivision that the Flashback so nicely mimics.

• Like 1

I ordered a Raspberry Pi 2 yesterday. I'll get back into this once it arrives.

I got pretty discouraged by the poor performance of the Pi B+ and by the Emulation Station interface which refuses to respect my overscan settings. I use it with a CRT, so I need it to to be in standard definition and it displays widescreen no matter what. I have the emulator set to an exact screen-size match with my original Intellivision, but Emulation Station won't behave.

I'm hoping the Pi 2 will run all games full speed (something the B+ would not do, even with the posted overclock settings) and maybe even run other systems at full speed. I'd also like to get the theme looking like it belongs with the original Intellivision. The one in this pack is fine for an Intellivision II, but I'd much prefer colors and images that match the original Intellivision that the Flashback so nicely mimics.

I agree with the theming needing to match the original Intellivision.

The fonts are a nice start. Needs woodgrain, (and more cowbellh).

I have yet to see anything slowdown. My settings have it at 1000MHz.

It is so easy to work with, I compiled Stella 3.9.3 on the Pi 2 never thinking it would work because compiling needs all those libraries for sound, display, input, etc.

I couldn't even begin to figure out how to compile a newer Stella for the GCW-Zero handheld, which was supposed to be the best portable retro handheld. That has 2 Atari 2600 emulators, both using old code, and the GCW-Zero has a 1000MHz processor, although not 4 cores.

If anyone is using the new 2.6.0 RetroPie image successfully with RP1, I could use a little help with the Atari 2600 emulation. RetroArch works fine, but Stella is running at about half speed when a game launches from EmulationStation. When I launch Stella from the command line, it run normally. What gives?

If anyone is using the new 2.6.0 RetroPie image successfully with RP1, I could use a little help with the Atari 2600 emulation. RetroArch works fine, but Stella is running at about half speed when a game launches from EmulationStation. When I launch Stella from the command line, it run normally. What gives?

The retroarch Stella is different from the command line Stella.

I am working up a tutorial to use the command line Stella in Emulationstation.

Today I worked on theming the game list.

Came up wih this:

post-29575-0-09063200-1424846822_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The retroarch Stella is different from the command line Stella.

I am working up a tutorial to use the command line Stella in Emulationstation.

Today I worked on theming the game list.

Came up wih this:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

These are terrific! How about a white Atari logo to go over the woodgrain, like the one I've attached. Will you post the themes here when you feel you're done? I'd love to have them on my Pi.

And that Stella command line tutorial... I could really use one. :) Thanks!

a2600white.svg.zip

Note: Atari2600 did work the first time I set everything up with the 2.5 beta, but not with the 2.6.

It had something to do with the display mode.

To fix, I had to make a change in dispmanx.cfg file that contained stella=1 to stella=3.

Now it runs fine!

That config file is in: /opt/retropie/configs/all/dispmanx.cfg

(Tried the hitting x or m when launching and picking a resolution, but it still threw an error.)

I like to find the place to force Stella into phosphor mode, and for it to change to OpenGL instead of software rendering. Maybe that's something to put in es_systems.cfg?

Yes, editing the dispmanx.cfg file as you explained did the trick and got Stella running normally. Thanks a bunch. I also edited the run command to specify a max. size of 640x480 to increase the screen size.

The command to change to OpenGL is in the Video Settings menu. Press TAB on the keyboard to bring up the menu. Changes there will be saved for the next sessions.

Are you cooking anything up for an Intellivision ECS theme?