IGNORED

The Ultimate Intellivision Flashback

Byte Knight

stella is the only emulator that lets you set up an analog stick to work as a paddle. It sets it so whatever position the analog stick is in it stops.

If Stella converts the analog stick to a paddle, I would guess the driving paddle, being read as an analog stick, will work for paddle games?

Thanks for the info on your conversion of your paddle.

If Stella converts the analog stick to a paddle, I would guess the driving paddle, being read as an analog stick, will work for paddle games?

Thanks for the info on your conversion of your paddle.

the reason it will work is because stella supports both digital and analog on paddle games. It would read the driving paddle as a digital pad.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been able to get Carl Mueller, Jr's "Ms PacMan" working on the pi2? I'm using retropie 3.2. I know it's an issue with jzintv, and I've tried downloading the latest jzintv (for linux) from the spatula-city site and swapped it with the jzintv already on the pi (/opt/retropie/emulators/jzintv), but no games work when I do that...just get kicked out to the main menu again. Is it more complicated than just swapping one file? I swapped out the whole "bin" folder from the downloaded version, with the same results.

Has anyone been able to get Carl Mueller, Jr's "Ms PacMan" working on the pi2? I'm using retropie 3.2. I know it's an issue with jzintv, and I've tried downloading the latest jzintv (for linux) from the spatula-city site and swapped it with the jzintv already on the pi (/opt/retropie/emulators/jzintv), but no games work when I do that...just get kicked out to the main menu again. Is it more complicated than just swapping one file? I swapped out the whole "bin" folder from the downloaded version, with the same results.

If you are trying to run "jzintv-1.0-beta-x86_64-linux.zip" on the raspberry pi it's not compatible. That one is meant for x86-64 computers, and the Raspberyy Pi uses a completely different CPU. I'm not sure what Jzintv version retropie uses but you might be able to get the latest source code of jzintv and compile it on the raspberry pi. If any jzintv switches and settings change you'd have to update that too. Does Ms. PacMan work with newer versions of jzintv and not older versions?

All you need is the correct version of the jzintv file. No other files on the Raspberry need to be updated. Intvnut made some modifications to his emulator but it does not seem to have made it to the lastest Retropie image (3.2.1).

Byte Knight has a version working on his RetroPie (I think it is 2.8) but I have not had success running it in 2.6 or 3.2.1. Both of us are using a RPI2. Others have had success.

Maybe Intvnut will chime in here and let us know the status of his emulator fix. And if we are really lucky, maybe post the latest source files so we can compile it on our Raspberry.

All you need is the correct version of the jzintv file. No other files on the Raspberry need to be updated. Intvnut made some modifications to his emulator but it does not seem to have made it to the lastest Retropie image (3.2.1).

Byte Knight has a version working on his RetroPie (I think it is 2.8) but I have not had success running it in 2.6 or 3.2.1. Both of us are using a RPI2. Others have had success.

Maybe Intvnut will chime in here and let us know the status of his emulator fix. And if we are really lucky, maybe post the latest source files so we can compile it on our Raspberry.

works for me on 5 different pi's i put it on

Byte Knight has a version working on his RetroPie (I think it is 2. 8) but I have not had success running it in 2.6 or 3.2.1. Both of us are using a RPI2. Others have had success.

Thanks Dave - Byte Knight was kind enough to send me his copy of jzintv that he said worked for him, but I couldn't get it to work for me either. But it's good to know I just have to replace that one file. I'm sure the group mind here will come up with a solution. So pimpmaul69 - MsPacMan works for you on all those pi's? Wonder what you're doing differently than the rest of us?

Problem solved! The file Byte Knight has works well. The trick to getting it to work is to set the permissions of the file to 0755. When I copy files over, I was setting the permissions to 7777 (I use WinSCP). In other progams, you may be setting the permission to 755.

Edited by intvdave

If you are trying to run "jzintv-1.0-beta-x86_64-linux.zip" on the raspberry pi it's not compatible. That one is meant for x86-64 computers, and the Raspberyy Pi uses a completely different CPU. I'm not sure what Jzintv version retropie uses but you might be able to get the latest source code of jzintv and compile it on the raspberry pi. If any jzintv switches and settings change you'd have to update that too. Does Ms. PacMan work with newer versions of jzintv and not older versions?

I did try to run that version on the pi, and that explains why that one didn't work (thanks). I'm a bit of an ignoramus when it comes to compiling, so I'm going to have to leave that to smarter folks here than me. I don't think it's an issue with how old the version jzintv is...sounds like it's just some basic problem with that one ROM. MsPacMan works fine on Nostalgia, but of course, the pi doesn't run that.

Problem solved! The file Byte Knight has works well. The trick to getting it to work is to set the permissions of the file to 0755. When I copy files over, I was setting the permissions to 7777 (I use WinSCP). In other progams, you may be setting the permission to 755.

Dave, you amaze me... I was doing the same thing with the permissions....I'll try it now. Holy cow - that fixed it! Thank you, and ByteKnight and pimpmaul. I knew the hive brain could figure it out.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

hi all!

I have been trying to add the colecovision emulator to my retropie setup and I am having no luck at all. Everything else works wonderfully and like it should. but it is not allowing me to add anything to the emulators folder. when I use samba shares or access the pi through the network on my linux box, the opt folder does not come up at all. If I read the micro sd card directly, I can see and open the folder, but I cant make any changes or change the permissions. What the heck am I doing wrong here??

by the way Im running a Rpi2 with retropie version 3.2.1

Tif

Edited by Tifany

hi all!

I have been trying to add the colecovision emulator to my retropie setup and I am having no luck at all. Everything else works wonderfully and like it should. but it is not allowing me to add anything to the emulators folder. when I use samba shares or access the pi through the network on my linux box, the opt folder does not come up at all. If I read the micro sd card directly, I can see and open the folder, but I cant make any changes or change the permissions. What the heck am I doing wrong here??

by the way Im running a Rpi2 with retropie version 3.2.1

Tif

Hi Tif,

I'm not all that familiar with linux, but on my windows 7 machine, I'm using WinSCP to access the pi2. I had to find the option in WinSCP that let me see hidden files and folders and check that before some folders would show up...maybe that's what's happening with not being able to see the opt folder? Hopefully, you'll be able to figure out how to view the opt folder - it's gotta be there somewhere.

Once you can see all the folders, this should help you get coolcv running:

- create a folder called "colecovision" in /home/pi/RetroPie/roms

- create a folder called "coolcv" in /opt/retropie/emulators

- download the coolcv emulator for the pi (version 0.6.2) here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240800-coolcv-emulator-for-mac-os-x-linux-windows-and-raspberry/page-1

- unzip coolcv_pi to the folder you just created - set its permissions to 0755

- add these lines to es_systems.cfg (etc/emulationstation/es_system.cfg):

<system>

<name>colecovision</name>

<fullname>ColecoVision</fullname>

<path>~/RetroPie/roms/colecovision</path>

<extension>.rom .ROM .col .COL</extension>

<command>/opt/retropie/emulators/coolcv/coolcv_pi %ROM% </command>

<platform>colecovision</platform>

<theme>colecovision</theme>

</system>

- save the file you just edited

- make sure you have some roms in the colecovision folder

- Restart the pi

- Hopefully, coolcv will run then - run one game...

- Look for a file called "coolcv_mapping.txt" in /home/pi

- In that file you can edit the controller configuration for coolcv.

Edited by paulace50

Thanks guys! Ill give those suggestions a try this weekend when I have some free time!

as a backup does anyone have a copy of their retropie image with a working colecovision emu on it that they would be willing to share with me?

Thanks again!

Tif

Thanks guys! Ill give those suggestions a try this weekend when I have some free time!

as a backup does anyone have a copy of their retropie image with a working colecovision emu on it that they would be willing to share with me?

David Harley's site can get you up and running with the CV emulator AdamEm, and then you can change it to CoolCV if you want.

• 1 month later...

I just hacked the Atari800 emulator to support the 5200 keypad. I always wanted to play Star Raiders (Space Spartans was modeled after it) but no emulator supported the keypad. I hacked Advmess to support the keypad but the video was not good. My Intellivision controller now controls all the functions of the 5200 controller in Atari800! I no longer need a keyboard!

I have not updated my package as I need to upgrade it to 3.5 but if anyone is interested in the emulator, let me know. Keep in mind, I have it hard coded for the Ultimate / 'visiondaptor interface.

• 1 month later...
Hey!

I upgraded my Ultimate PC Interface with the latest firmware (2016/03/15) and installed the RetroPie files (01/26/2016) over my RetroPie v3.6 image.

When I startup RetroPie the UPCI won't recognize my Intellivision Flashback Controllers.

The UPCI switches are in Auto Sense Mode (left switch UP, right switch UP). The red lamp inside the UPCI is flashing, which means it's powered correctly from my Pi.

When I plug another USB Joystick it gets recognized immediately.
Any help would be awesome, thanks!

Update:
SORRY, forgot to take off the jumper! Now it works!
Edited by teller

Hey!

I upgraded my Ultimate PC Interface with the latest firmware (2016/03/15) and installed the RetroPie files (01/26/2016) over my RetroPie v3.6 image.

When I startup RetroPie the UPCI won't recognize my Intellivision Flashback Controllers.

The UPCI switches are in Auto Sense Mode (left switch UP, right switch UP). The red lamp inside the UPCI is flashing, which means it's powered correctly from my Pi.

When I plug another USB Joystick it gets recognized immediately.

Any help would be awesome, thanks!

Update:

SORRY, forgot to take off the jumper! Now it works!

you have to push buttons to switch to each mode. Hold down the 0 key on the intv flashback controller while booting the pi. Keep holding down for five seconds. Intellivision.us tells you which key/button you need to press on each controller to switch them. By default when you update the upci it is on the coleco flashback mode.
  • Like 1

First my Ultimate Intellivision Flashback is born.
All the controls with the Intellivision Flashback controller work fine on jzIntv and CoolCV on RetroPie v3.6.

I have 3 questions:

1)
Does it matter how I map the controller in the RetroPie Menu?

For example can I change START & SELECT with some other buttons like START with "enter" or will this screw up some emulator game mappings (Atari 2600 for example)?

Intellivision has its own hackfile and Colecovision too.

2)

I have some other original 9-pin controllers like the Atari 2600, Vectrex, Competition Pro and Famicom clone controllers. When I hook it up on my UPCI it won't get recognized.
Instead of using only the Intellivision controller I would love to play Atari 2600 on the real Atari 2600 Joystick.

3)
It would be also great to use the Intellivision flashback controller with the videopac/odyssey2 emu. Actually up/down/left/right already works. Will have to figure out how to map the numeric keys to the Intellivision keypads in o2em. If I'll find out, I will let you know.

Edited by teller

1) The Emulator Station configuration does not affect how the emulators are configured.

2) Are you unplugging the UPCI then plugging it back in and having it autosense the new controller?

3) Is o2em using Retroarch? Try the config below:

config_save_on_exit = "false"

input_player1_joypad_index = 0
input_player1_left_axis = "-0"
input_player1_right_axis = "+0"
input_player1_up_axis = "-1"
input_player1_down_axis = "+1"

input_player2_joypad_index = 1
input_player2_left_axis = "-0"
input_player2_right_axis = "+0"
input_player2_up_axis = "-1"
input_player2_down_axis = "+1"

# --------------------------------------

input_player1_start_btn = "1" # unused
input_player1_select_btn = "2" # unused

input_player1_a_btn = "0" # Button 1
input_player1_b_btn = "8" # Button 2
input_player1_x_btn = "9" # Button 3
input_player1_y_btn = "10" # Button 4
input_player1_l_btn = "11" # unused
input_player1_r_btn = "12" # unused
input_player1_l2_btn = "13" # unused
input_player1_r2_btn = "14" # unused
input_player1_l3_btn = "15" # unused
input_player1_r3_btn = "16" # unused

input_player2_start_btn = "1" # unused
input_player2_select_btn = "2" # unused

input_player2_a_btn = "0" # Button 1
input_player2_b_btn = "8" # Button 2
input_player2_x_btn = "9" # Button 3
input_player2_y_btn = "10" # Button 4
input_player2_l_btn = "11" # unused
input_player2_r_btn = "12" # unused
input_player2_l2_btn = "13" # unused
input_player2_r2_btn = "14" # unused
input_player2_l3_btn = "15" # unused
input_player2_r3_btn = "16" # unused

input_pause_toggle_btn = "3" # PAUSE - Combination 4+CLR
input_reset_btn = "4" # RESET - Combination 5+zero
input_exit_emulator_btn = "5" # EXIT - Combination 6+ENTER

input_save_state_btn = "17" # SAVE - Clear Key Intv Controller
input_load_state_btn = "19" # LOAD - Enter Key Intv Controller

• Like 1

To use the atari joystick hold down the red button for 5 seconds while booting. You can use a lot of controllers on the upci just nothing analog like the vectrex controller. Please go to intellivision.us and read the upci section to find what controllers are compatible and how to boot them.

Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 1

Also the thing you need to know about the odyssey 2, some games use left controller and some games use right controller. You have to have 2 controllers hooked up for this reason. You can use atari joysticks or even the odyssey 2 joysticks on it.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your help and sorry about my noob questions.

I checked opt/configs/videopac/retroarch.cfg and all the mappings for UPCI are already there. I think o2em doesn't support to map the numeric keys on a joypad (Intellivision keypads 0-9).

Atari2600 joystick works fine now. Because the Atari2600 joystick has only one firebutton, could I plug on port B another controller (for example Intellivison controller) to use reset/start and exit? In other words, is UPCI capable to read different controllers on A/B?

I also tried to hook up my 9-pin Famulator joypads but UPCI doesn't read them. I haven't found any infos on the intellivision.us. Will this be a next feature? Then we could also play NES/Famicom ;)
Here's a picture:
http://media.engadget.com/img/product/15/bxk/cyber-gadget-famulator-ovq.jpg

I would like to build my pi onto the Intellivison Flashback but don't want to loose the possible controller switch option. Is there a way to build a usb reset switch, that UPCI can boot up while switching controllers? I would like to use the Reset button on the Intellivision Flashback.

Edited by teller