IGNORED

If you were Nintendo, what would you do?

TPA5

Keep on keepin' on. It's worked for 30 years.

Why does everybody think Nintendo's future success will depend on having the latest Call of Duty games?

Or EA Sports. I was in Game-X-Change looking at all those "worthless" EA Genesis sports titles with the wierd form factor sitting on the game shelf. EA hasn't changed much in the past 20 years. I can do without. So can Nintendo. :P

I agree....I can do without Ubisoft, Activision and EA on the Wii U but here's the problem:

Many games (developers) depend on publishers to get their games to a system and if a publisher won't support the system good luck in ever seeing that game released.

Take No More Heroes by Grasshopper...they were able to get Ubisoft to publish it for them in North America. If Ubisoft drops out then those guys need to beg Nintendo to do it. Bayonetta and Devils Third was in a similar spot, with publishing issues they were able to get Nintendo to do it for the Wii U.

It's a major problem and it amazes me how Nintendo is surviving (mainly because of the DS\3DS and the history of Mario and the characters).

Anyone else would be dead right now.

Crap...here I go.....worrying about Nintendo again. Whatever. My Super Smash Bros just shipped.

:P

If I were running Nintendo I would release a new NES toploader. This is clearly where the money is since used NES top loaders seem to bring about three times as much as a brand new Atari Flashback 5.

Then I would release a 3D droid tablet (Nintendroid 3D).

Next, I would diversify into adult entertainment and toys. They already got the sound track down for adult films (Wii U Wii U WiiU).

Finally, I would release a soft foam covered controller for the Nintendroid 3D called Uwii.

Advertising: Uwii - you want to touch this baby ;)

More Advertising: Play Donkey Kong Donkey Show today and win a free rumble pack remote for him or her.

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 1

Interesting take on Disney buying Nintendo:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/21/7259147/disney-nintendo-acquisition

Do American companies buy Japanese companies? I'd think there'd be rioting in the streets of Kyoto if that were to happen.

Nintendo doesn't need saving. They have enough cash to last them the next 50 years even if everything they release flops.

• Like 1

Or EA Sports. I was in Game-X-Change looking at all those "worthless" EA Genesis sports titles with the wierd form factor sitting on the game shelf. EA hasn't changed much in the past 20 years. I can do without. So can Nintendo. :P

Yeah, but all those "worthless" carts were purchased back in the day, for $50. Nintendo's whole identity is Games for Everyone, and sports games and the big console shooter/action types of games are what a lot of people want.

• I'd find ways to sweeten up 3rd parties - MS & Sony do a lot of marketing deals with big publishers. Nintendo could get more support with stuff like that and get more publishers on board. It always does come down to games, and in this era Nintendo alone can't create enough games fast enough. Related, they could do things to get more small developers on board.
  • Better tools - generation after generation Nintendo's dev tools are a step behind and a huge PITA for developers
  • I think they need to consider the US & EU markets more, both from a marketing perspective and in terms of games.
  • Continue being the "alternative" by doing unique and interesting things. They may miss every so often, but when they hit they knock it out of the park.

I really don't know, just grasping at random thoughts... :/

Edited by BydoEmpire

I don't worry too much about them to be honest. Yeah, the Wii U has been a struggle, but they kinda did it to themselves. Not even because of the hardware issue ... they've shown in the past they can sell a lot of consoles that aren't cutting edge. It's the fact that it didn't ship with killer titles and the flagships are only starting to come out in force.

Every new Nintendo flagship will sell more Wii Us. I suspect with Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros Wii U, Super Mario 3D World now out and Zelda around the corner, this Christmas will likely be quite a bit better than previous Christmases.

If I were running Nintendo I would release a new NES toploader. This is clearly where the money is since used NES top loaders seem to bring about three times as much as a brand new Atari Flashback 5.

Then I would release a 3D droid tablet (Nintendroid 3D).

Next, I would diversify into adult entertainment and toys. They already got the sound track down for adult films (Wii U Wii U WiiU).

Finally, I would release a soft foam covered controller for the Nintendroid 3D called Uwii.

Advertising: Uwii - you want to touch this baby ;)

More Advertising: Play Donkey Kong Donkey Show today and win a free rumble pack remote for him or her.

Pardon me, do you mind if I take a hit from your crack pipe? Must be some awfully good stuff your smoking here! :rolling:

Edited by stardust4ever

Disney isn't even a proper environment for their own properties to thrive. Difficult to imagine it doing the Nintendo brand any favors.

Nintendo doesn't need saving. They have enough cash to last them the next 50 years even if everything they release flops.

Nintendo's cash and deposits:

2002: 7.2 billion USD

2003: 6.2 billion USD

2004: 6.9 billion USD

2005: 7.4 billion USD

2006: 5.3 billion USD

2007: 5.8 billion USD

2008: 9.0 billion USD

2009: 7.7 billion USD

2010: 9.5 billion USD

2011: 9.8 billion USD

2012: 5.6 billion USD

2013: 5.1 billion USD

2014: 4.7 billion USD

Note the drops when they've entered the next generation of hardware and how over the subsequent years, they traditionally recover that and build back up their reserves. Then note the results from the past three years and how it hasn't recovered, only drained several hundred million more from their account.

With a new generation of hardware likely not too far away for them and their hopes with the current generation resting on stopping the bleeding rather than raking in the billions, things could get pretty barren looking before they turn the corner.

And they're a publicly held company, so even if what you said was accurate about their bank account, they definitely need saving. Their shareholders aren't going to stand for losses forever, so they have no choice but to right the ship or someone else is going to be given that task. The Japanese apparently have a lot of patience, but it's not going to last forever even over there.

Surely, the time for the current executive team to solidly turn things around is starting to run somewhat short at this point.

Pardon me, do you mind if I take a hit from your crack pipe? Must be some awfully good stuff your smoking here! :rolling:

Nintendo could no doubt make millions if they introduced new NES/Famicom hardware. But what they'd make is small potatoes compared to just one hit game like Mario Kart Wii.

It's something to keep in mind perhaps as a sideline, either in-house or through a collaboration with a quality outside company. But I can't imagine it would have a great impact on their overall financial situation.

Edited by Atariboy

If I was making decisions at Nintendo today, I'd do two things:

1) Start making the weirdest games imaginable for their modern systems utilizing teams of people that are given a lot of autonomy.

2) Re-release the NES and encourage developers to design games for it again (as well as inviting new developers to try their hand at it).

Edited by Nebulon

I'd bring their Virtual Console to the competition's consoles, but not mobile devices without proper controls. For mobile devices, I'd launch a range of casual games tailored around their capabilities.

It was Nintendo that was largely responsible for platform holders developing exclusively for their own hardware and it could be Nintendo that revisits a model that was commonplace back in the late 1970's and early 1980's.

All that really needs to remain exclusive to Nintendo hardware are their major new console and handheld releases. I mostly only see positives if Nintendo was to leverage their library of classics on other platforms and if they were to again go after the casual mobile business that has largely evaporated on their own hardware (Most activity on the 3DS is with console style experiences).

Edited by Atariboy

So I offered my advice for free to a company that made billions selling games about an elf with a magical fairy friend and a plumber that rides a yoshi which eats turtles and spits fire. That company might be bought out by another company that has made billions from selling movies about a talking mouse. Yet I am the one on crack? Nice. See if I answer any of these posts again.

But to answer your question: No, get your own pipe. :)

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 1

Do American companies buy Japanese companies? I'd think there'd be rioting in the streets of Kyoto if that were to happen.

Imagine the rioting that would happen in the street if Apple or Google ever decided to buy them.

(Wouldn't happen anyway as it would make no sense for either company, but interesting to think about given their large cash hoards).

But to answer your question: No, get your own pipe. :)

I don't smoke crack. Sorry if my comment was out of line, but some of your suggestions (adult games and toys, with cyber flesh controllers) were ridiculous.

Also as for Nintendo recreating it's vintage hardware, I seriously doubt they can compete with the likes of these:

my_retro_bit_nes_has_arrived_by_t95maste

Even they brought back the Game Cube controller, but at $30 it's a bit steep when you can buy a clone for $10 or an original used for $6.95

Edited by stardust4ever

Interesting take on Disney buying Nintendo:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/21/7259147/disney-nintendo-acquisition

Just what we need, for Disney to destroy Nintendo like they're doing with Star Wars =|

Obviously, it's just speculation from "some guy", but it's still frightening to think about.

Edited by Asaki

I'm sure that people would be lining up to buy brand new official NES systems at $150 a pop.

It just sadly wouldn't offer any longevity. After a brief flurry of sales, that's pretty much it.

HDMI NES will play NES and Famicom and output 720p.

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=92557

Mockup:
C177ECEE-0819-57F5-D46D4AB075243D5F.png
Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

Imagine the rioting that would happen in the street if Apple or Google ever decided to buy them.

(Wouldn't happen anyway as it would make no sense for either company, but interesting to think about given their large cash hoards).

It wouldn't make since for apple to do that as they make there own hardware. Google on the other hand might not be a bad partner. Nintendo has a system and intellectual properties. Google has unlimited resources and an OS (Android)

that they could add to the sysfem to allow self publishing by developers and give the nintendo system access to every game and app on google play.

I don't smoke crack. Sorry if my comment was out of line, but some of your suggestions (adult games and toys, with cyber flesh controllers) were ridiculous.

Also as for Nintendo recreating it's vintage hardware, I seriously doubt they can compete with the likes of these:my_retro_bit_nes_has_arrived_by_t95maste

Even they brought back the Game Cube controller, but at $30 it's a bit steep when you can buy a clone for $10 or an original used for $6.95

I don't smoke crack either. Your post was fine. I was just joking with you. My suggestions were meant to be ridiculous.

I have one of those clones. They work but I think some people would still buy a Nintendo branded version. Probably won't make or break the company though.

1) Many of those games are in copyright hell. Plus are you gonna pay the ESRB license fee on every one of those games? Many of the Wii VC games blew anyway and never sold enough to break even. No wonder Nintendo is currently sticking to "safe" systems and games. Blame Wii owners for not buying more VC titles. I downloaded tons, but I'm in the minority it seems.

2) They did. See also the Wii-U Game Cube Adapter. As for the other controllers, N64 controller sucked and the CC/Pro have buttons for everything on the retro pads. The Pro controller is awesome btw. I don't understand why people hate it.

3) Call Sega and ask them to do it.

4) Again, call Sega. Outside of the Genesis, which was on Wii VC, there is very little nostalgia for Sega systems in the US.

agree with all of this except the lack of nostalgia for SEGA games, I think there is alot of nostalgia for it,took time to get going but seems fine now.

It wouldn't make since for apple to do that as they make there own hardware. Google on the other hand might not be a bad partner. Nintendo has a system and intellectual properties. Google has unlimited resources and an OS (Android)

that they could add to the sysfem to allow self publishing by developers and give the nintendo system access to every game and app on google play.

Oh heck no! Unless they make a tablet system with actual buttons (think Wii-U Game Pad, but powered by ARM and with a slimmer form factor as a standalone system) Mario would be horrible to play with touch screen controls.

I think Google and Apple have their own ideas though. Just release a tablet with buttons built in or an official add-on with buttons that all games could optionally use. Currently there's no standard for BT/USB HID gamepads so any app that supports them will need a custom configuration setting for every device. If Google/Apple would step up to the plate with an official controller for use with tablets/phones, it would provide atemplate for app designers to use. Controller clones could also copy the design, including devices like iCade, etc...

Hell, why am I trying to help Google/Apple? People will disagree with me, but I believe Nintendo got it right with the Wii-U gamepad. Create a slimmer form factor powered by ARM, perhaps with sliders instead of sticks like the 3DS, and merge their portable together with their console lineup. Provide an HDMI/Display Port adapter for external HD displays. Make it compatible with 3DS and Wii-U eShop, plus unified accounts, and you have the perfect 9th generation combined console/handheld for Nintendo. But wait a few years until the mobile tech is mature and ready for release. Don't pull a Sega and cancell the Wii-U / 3DS before it's time.

Oh heck no! Unless they make a tablet system with actual buttons (think Wii-U Game Pad, but powered by ARM and with a slimmer form factor as a standalone system) Mario would be horrible to play with touch screen controls.

I think Google and Apple have their own ideas though. Just release a tablet with buttons built in or an official add-on with buttons that all games could optionally use. Currently there's no standard for BT/USB HID gamepads so any app that supports them will need a custom configuration setting for every device. If Google/Apple would step up to the plate with an official controller for use with tablets/phones, it would provide atemplate for app designers to use. Controller clones could also copy the design, including devices like iCade, etc...

Hell, why am I trying to help Google/Apple? People will disagree with me, but I believe Nintendo got it right with the Wii-U gamepad. Create a slimmer form factor powered by ARM, perhaps with sliders instead of sticks like the 3DS, and merge their portable together with their console lineup. Provide an HDMI/Display Port adapter for external HD displays. Make it compatible with 3DS and Wii-U eShop, plus unified accounts, and you have the perfect 9th generation combined console/handheld for Nintendo. But wait a few years until the mobile tech is mature and ready for release. Don't pull a Sega and cancell the Wii-U / 3DS before it's time.

I agree it would have to have a physical controller. Think Ouya but manufactured by Nintendo with Nintendo first party games. An open system that allows developers to self publish. First party games would be better quality and cost more then the android apps.

Better yet would be a partnership with a cloud gaming service like Onlive. Then you could play high quality pc games and not have to worry about lower end hardware.

Edited by Manoau2002

HDMI NES will play NES and Famicom and output 720p.

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=92557

Mockup:

C177ECEE-0819-57F5-D46D4AB075243D5F.png

So?

We're talking about Nintendo. They earn nothing off that homebrew creation that scavenges parts from systems that Nintendo manufactured decades ago.

People would want one because it's a brand new official Nintendo Entertainment System in 201X. I have no doubt that there would be a lot of money to be made there.

But again, compared to just a single hit game if you have a successful piece of hardware, it's still small potatoes and is likely why Nintendo doesn't bother with it. Would take too much capital and offer too small of a return for Nintendo.

And most of all, no longevity. They sell you a new NES and then where are they? With a modern system, they can count on a stream of continuing sales from a customer. A replica NES would be one and done unless they had the foolish idea to turn the clocks back 30 years.

Edited by Atariboy