IGNORED

If you were Nintendo, what would you do?

TPA5

Well, you guys got your wish.

Nintendo just signed a deal to have a third party develop phone/tablet shovelware using their licensed IPs. How exciting :roll:

I can't wait for a "match three" game with Nintendo characters...oh wait...

On one hand I think when a big IP moves over to the mobile/tablet area it means they're in trouble and trying to come up with extra income (like with how Atari did with Alone in the Dark and such) but on the other, I think it makes sense to have at least one decent game on alternate hardware just so as long as it isn't Mario itself for 99 cents that is complete and utter garbage.... guess we'll see how it turns out but I wouldn't expect Ninty to just pass off anything as they seem to have rather high quality standards thankfully...

I think the DS line will be fine.

Going into mobile territory is probably just another way to make money since a lot of game related companies have done so, but they still make console/handheld games.

I think this means the WiiU days might be numbered though. Depends how far along they are with the next system. They will want to wait a reasonable amount of time as to not abandon a platform too soon and alienate people.

They have said they won't be doing ports of existing games.

I don't have a problem with some mini games with Nintendo characters. They could be linked to console games to give bonus content, like how Amiibos give costumes or rupees in Mario Kart and Hyrule Warriors.

I'm more interested in the new account system and online store that can be accessed from smart phone or PC. I use the Steam app on my phone everyday.

Indeed, this is an interesting development.

There are a lot of "free to play" games out there that have made enormous amounts of money. Not my cup of tea, but whatever. Maybe Nintendo will be the one company that makes a "free to play" game so awesome that I will have no choice but to hand them money in-game like a meth addict to a dealer.

Defintely not the approach I would have taken with mobile gaming, but WTF do I know :D

Maybe Nintendo will be the one company that makes a "free to play" game so awesome that I will have no choice but to hand them money in-game like a meth addict to a dealer.

Rusty's Real Deal Baseball was really good, but that's less of a "pay to play" and more of a "Here's a demo, pay to unlock the full version."

Just wait for e3 guys... I'm not fond of this new direction Nintendo is taking with mobile. It seems investors have bullied Nintendo into taking this rocky road. Will they succeede, heaven only knows... :roll:

What happens at E3? If you're talking about NX, which quite possibly is the heavily rumored hybrid Nintendo platform that many believe is in the works, it all but assuredly won't unveiled until 2016 with a release that Fall at the earliest. News that the New 3DS, while already perceived as a stopgap, is all but obsolete overnight won't be taken well. Nor would the Wii U's successor being announced two and a half years or so into its life accomplish much good.

Look for the focus to be squarely on their current generation hardware and games like Zelda U this year, allowing the Wii U to at least turn 3 before its successor is announced for release around its 4th birthday, while giving the New 3DS at least a few months in the sun before the next chapter in Nintendo's handheld line is revealed.

NX only got mentioned when it did, most likely to pacify folks that might've interpreted this mobile news as a sign of an exit from the dedicated handheld marketplace as the 3DS line is drawn down over the next few years. Instead, they reassured us that dedicated hardware still has a major place at Nintendo in the future.

Edited by Atariboy

Rusty's Real Deal Baseball was really good, but that's less of a "pay to play" and more of a "Here's a demo, pay to unlock the full version."

Yeah, I unlocked all of Rusty's Real Deal Baseball, but I don't plan on spending a dime on Pokemon Shuffle.

I played a round of Pokemon Shuffle last night. Odd little game. Being used to the usual "match 3" mechanic in games like Tetris Attack, Zoo Keeper, and Bejeweled, I was a little bit underwhelmed by the fact you can swap panels anywhere on the board, taking away any minimal amount of challenge the game has to offer. It would be virtually impossible to lock up the board now. I also didn't like how the hand-holding aesthetic. If they're gonna hold my hand for the first round, fine, but don't use up a heart for it.

I've never been too fond of Pokemon type games anyhow. It would have been better if they let you "buy" hearts with the under-utilized play coins instead of micro-transactions with real currency.

...I was a little bit underwhelmed by the fact you can swap panels anywhere on the board, taking away any minimal amount of challenge the game has to offer.

It gets much more difficult later, and after the first 10 or so stages, it takes the tutorial away and lets you play for real.

It's certainly no Puzzle Quest, but it's fun enough for being a free game. But I agree, I won't be spending real money on it. I have a feeling that playing it for free is going to require a lot more grinding, though.

The one thing I don't like, though, is that the first couple competitions are going to be at a severe disadvantage to those who used the "free hearts" exploit. I also only play it once a day (if that), so I don't think I'm going to win this megastone =)

• 2 weeks later...

NX only got mentioned when it did, most likely to pacify folks that might've interpreted this mobile news as a sign of an exit from the dedicated handheld marketplace as the 3DS line is drawn down over the next few years. Instead, they reassured us that dedicated hardware still has a major place at Nintendo in the future.

emphasis mine

I think we all remember Nintendo's LAST "3 leg" reassurance. It wasn't until the 3DS that I actually started playing Nintendo's newer handheld more than the GBA...

Is the NX going to be that system that supposedly promises new realms of interactive entertainment with a physical fitness vibe? Something not geared towards regular console gamers but the so-called casual crowd. Heart rate monitors, activity sensors and all that sort of stuff. Or is that the next handheld I am thinking of and the the NX will be a proper next-gen console offering with all the horsepower to compete with PS4/XB1 and also be able to receive adequate third party support? Or am I completely off base here?

Edited by Shmup Lover

emphasis mine

I think we all remember Nintendo's LAST "3 leg" reassurance. It wasn't until the 3DS that I actually started playing Nintendo's newer handheld more than the GBA...

I was still buying new GBA games like M&L to play on my DS phat. Mainly because the GBA SP gave me hand cramps and I couldn't see the classic GBA screen half the time.

Hell, as far as I can tell, most if us AAers are people that just love playing games because they are FUN.
F*** micro transactions
F*** leveling up to make the game playable
F*** anything that doesn't constitute FUN!
Maybe I've just finally gotten so old that plugging in a cartridge and hitting power doesn't = fun for 60 seconds, that my (our) opinions don't matter.
Video games are supposed to be the non-lethal hit of fun that drugs can't offer.

Totally agree on all those points (I deleted the rest of your quote).

Games should be fun. Nintendo recently released Pokemon Shuffle where you can "buy" gems to redeem in the game. What the hell Nintendo? I won't be supporting this. $5-$10-$20 for full unlock is one thing, but I have to draw the line when you start nickle-and-diming us for powerups. I should be able to just buy the game and get the full monty.

Or am I completely off base here?

Well they haven't announced what the NX is yet, so yeah, you're way off base.

The "physical fitness" thing is going to be a separate device, Nintendo used to make a lot more than just videogames you know.

...I have to draw the line when you start nickle-and-diming us for powerups.

They give them to you for free all the time. Being able to pay for stuff is just the lazy way out, or for weirdos who NEED to play the game for an hour straight (or more).

I rarely even spend the gems they give me, because I never find myself thinking "Man, I can't wait 15 more minutes, I need more hearts RIGHT NOW!!"

Edited by Asaki

I find the TV ads to be sort of weird but not in a good way. I'd like to see them doing a bit more media than 'It's Mario! Mario is awesome!' As far as products I love them. My Nintendo gear remains the most stable and easy to access of any of my devices. Right now my main TV has an Xbox One, PS3 and Wii U hooked up and I have the least issues by far with the Wii U.

Right now my main TV has an Xbox One, PS3 and Wii U hooked up and I have the least issues by far with the Wii U.

I haven't tried Xbone or PS3, but stuff like Netflix, YouTube, and Internet browser on Wii U makes the 360 look like some kind of archaic Chinese bootleg device.

Heck, I'm tempted to say it's almost just as good as using a PC instead.