IGNORED

FS: SPACECHASE: Personalized/Monogrammed Edition for the Atari 2600 VCS

timdu

We are now offering a REPRODUCTION cartridge of SPACECHASE - in a special personalized / monogrammed edition.

Back in 1982, Apollo offered a special Personalized Edition of this game - the difference between the standard release of the game and this edition was that your own initials appeared in place of your ship when it exploded. According to the programmer, less than 10 were sold; the exact number is unknown. This special offer was advertised in magazines and priced at $99.95, and the cartridge did not include a different/special label - it looked identical to the standard released version!

Continuing the tradition of the original special offer that was from Games by Apollo, 2600 Connection is proud to offer a special personalized / monogrammed version of Spacechase - customized just for you!! Up to three letters or numbers or combinations thereof; initials appear in white on the screen.

Price:

$25 for the Atari-style cartridge with the 3 initials hand written on the label

or

$35 for the Apollo-style cartridge with the 3 initials printed on the label

Take a look at mine:

post-291-0-45459400-1417180179_thumb.jpg

For more information, please visit the web site:

http://www.2600connection.com/features/spacechase/features_spacechase.html

Edited by timdu

This is a cool idea. Back in the day, I seriously considered ordering the personalized version, but at $100 it wasn't justified. Now we have an opportunity to fulfill that whim at a reasonable cost.

How long will this be available to order?

Hoo boy, can't wait to see these hitting eBay...RARE L@@K!

Actually, that's a good point. The uninitiated might consider this one of the 10 originals and get taken.

Perhaps, Tim, it might be a good idea to put a small and unobtrusive logo on your label to indicate it's a reproduction.

Actually, that's a good point. The uninitiated might consider this one of the 10 originals and get taken.

Perhaps, Tim, it might be a good idea to put a small and unobtrusive logo on your label to indicate it's a reproduction.

post-29022-0-96692900-1417195745.gif

:lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue:

• Like 1

Have any real ones ever been found? I vaguely remember McGrail maybe having one about 10 years ago but can't quite remember...

McGrail's was fake, I think Shawn hacked his. I also did this for Jose many years ago. As for preventing them as being sold as real, impossible, all you need to do is swap the labels.

McGrail's was fake, I think Shawn hacked his. I also did this for Jose many years ago. As for preventing them as being sold as real, impossible, all you need to do is swap the labels.

Ha! I just assumed his was real since I thought the asking price was like $300 or something crazy...but, then again :ponder: lol

So do you know of anyone that owns a real one? I'm just curious if an official one was ever found, this is the first I heard of an actual number (under 10) confirmed made...

Edited by Crazy Climber

I deliberately avoided referring to any specific logos.

As for preventing them as being sold as real, impossible, all you need to do is swap the labels.

Clearly. Nevertheless, it wouldn't hurt for Tim to do the prudent thing. That's as much as he CAN do short of not producing them at all.

• Like 1

Ha! I just assumed his was real since I thought the asking price was like $300 or something crazy...but, then again :ponder: lol

So do you know of anyone that owns a real one? I'm just curious if an official one was ever found, this is the first I heard of an actual number (under 10) confirmed made...

Yes, Arnie Katz used to have an original. Here is an interview with Ed Salvo, he mentions another name as well.

http://www.digitpress.com/library/interviews/interview_ed_salvo.html

• Like 2

Unfortunately not producing them would probably be for the best. In the event one comes up for sale as "genuine" there will always be doubt. Reproduction games / boxes are becoming a real concern due to the deceptive nature of eBay sellers. Frankly I've been burned enough by sellers that I no longer have trust of anyone I buy from. Sad to say that but true.

Ya McDouche sold the one I made him that he promised was for his "personal collection" and "never to be sold". Over time I came to realize that was just par for the course with him and he doesn't have a collection. He only has store stock waiting to be listed. :x