IGNORED

NOS Games From South America (motorodeo, road runner,ect)

Shawn

15 members have voted

1. 1. What rarity do the SA games actually have?

• R1, these things are just as common as combat
    • R2, these things are never going away
    • R3, I hate using ebay to buy games

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hey Guys,

I've talked to Albert and he's gonna be making changes to the entries in the guide for all these 2600 titles that have had their bottoms fall out from under them with the un-ending supply coming out of South America. So here are some titles I know of that are un-ending in supply now and the rarity they should have. Please include your thoughts and what rarity you think they have and why.

Remember though these are of near endless in supply with thousands and thousands of each game available forever more. Real R4,R5,R6,R7 are not for sale in lots of 4 copies for $20 plus shipping. $20 plus shipping on new old stock means your buying R1's, maybe R2's at most. Even the higher end of $20 each is not a R5. Rare 5 games are not available in endless supply for $20 each.

I will say my personal thoughts are that these are all between R1 and R2 in rarity. I'll say R2 just for arguments sake.

The games I'm nominating for this reality check are:

Motorodeo

Ikari Warriors

Road Runner

Xenophobe

Off The Wall

Sprint Master

Real Sports Boxing

Moon Patrol

TNT BMX Airmaster

I'm sure there are more but those are the ones that stick out in my mind.

Hey Guys,

I've talked to Albert and he's gonna be making changes to the entries in the guide for all these 2600 titles that have had their bottoms fall out from under them with the un-ending supply coming out of South America. So here are some titles I know of that are un-ending in supply now and the rarity they should have. Please include your thoughts and what rarity you think they have and why.

Remember though these are of near endless in supply with thousands and thousands of each game available forever more. Real R4,R5,R6,R7 are not for sale in lots of 4 copies for $20 plus shipping. $20 plus shipping on new old stock means your buying R1's, maybe R2's at most. Even the higher end of $20 each is not a R5. Rare 5 games are not available in endless supply for $20 each.

I will say my personal thoughts are that these are all between R1 and R2 in rarity. I'll say R2 just for arguments sake.

The games I'm nominating for this reality check are:

Motorodeo

Ikari Warriors

Road Runner

Xenophobe

Off The Wall

Sprint Master

Real Sports Boxing

Moon Patrol

TNT BMX Airmaster

I'm sure there are more but those are the ones that stick out in my mind.

Too bad those weren't Ikari Warriors and Xenophobe for the 7800!

I voted for R3. Mostly because these are still fetching far more money than combat or space invaders…that is not likely to change any time soon. I would actually peg them more around an R4, simply because you are not seeing these games in bulk lots nearly as often as you would an R1 through R3. Whomever has the keys to the warehouse in SA is more than happy to let these things sell individually for $10 and up each (loose) and $20 and up (boxed) until the end of time. Once in a while, you see them for less, but not too often.

I voted for R3. Mostly because these are still fetching far more money than combat or space invaders…that is not likely to change any time soon. I would actually peg them more around an R4, simply because you are not seeing these games in bulk lots nearly as often as you would an R1 through R3. Whomever has the keys to the warehouse in SA is more than happy to let these things sell individually for $10 and up each (loose) and $20 and up (boxed) until the end of time. Once in a while, you see them for less, but not too often.

Exactly, though I didn't vote since the R4 option wasn't available.

I'm all for updating the rarity figures for the games coming out of S.A., but I believe there should be an asterix next to each detailing the score. Instead of simply re-writing history, explain that so many of these games were exported during such and such time, but thanks to the Internet, these particular titles are made readily available again. Or something to that effect...

Couple of questions:

-Have we ever actually confirmed the number of these NOS titles?

-Where are these lots? 'Cause for $20, I'd buy one or two right now, but I'm not finding any with the titles in question.

(I'm not being smarmy, I'm actually asking. I could have been out of the loop when any of that came to light.)

Assuming there are thousands and thousands, I say R3 at minimum. You're still not gonna find them anywhere but eBay, or maybe vendors reselling them at shows and conventions.

If there are fewer, then I'd get in the R4-R5 range, max. There would still be more copies than people likely to buy them.

• Like 1

Well thats like saying a PAL R1 isn't a R1 in the USA cause it's not at every store. We have an international market now and forevermore.

Ikari for $18.99 but I wouldn't buy it for that much. There are enough sellers that have them as "4 game atari lot" and don't even mention the titles.

Of course there are none right this moment but they do get sold like that often enough.

Motorodeo for $17.99 and free shipping but again, too much to spend on it. It's a $5 to $10 game tops.

This one sold not long ago and was only able to get the opening bid of $7.99 for God's sake. Some might say "Well thats cause shipping is expesive" but that

is not true as that auction was open to the whole world be it $2 or $200 shipping.

This seller has a ton of the SA games for $20 each and he's got free shipping.

And it goes on, and on.

Well thats like saying a PAL R1 isn't a R1 in the USA cause it's not at every store. We have an international market now and forevermore.

That's because it's true, to a greater or lesser extent. It's unusual to find even common PAL games here, but certainly not unheard of -- I've found a couple, myself. Isn't that why there are different rarity ratings for PAL and NTSC games? But I see where you're coming from about the the internet making these games accessible to everyone.

This raises a good issue though. Should rarity be assigned based on its native region and geography, or internet availability? Each has its merits.

That's because it's true, to a greater or lesser extent. It's unusual to find even common PAL games here, but certainly not unheard of -- I've found a couple, myself. Isn't that why there are different rarity ratings for PAL and NTSC games? But I see where you're coming from about the the internet making these games accessible to everyone.

This raises a good issue though. Should rarity be assigned based on its native region and geography, or internet availability? Each has its merits.

That would be a hard thing to do as there are many games that had different distribution even from Canada the the USA. Like the K-Tel games which are considered R9's (I think) and nearly impossible to find in the USA as most of them sold in Canada. They are really hard to get even in Canada but not totally impossible likein the USA as more of them sold in Canada.

On the international market that means they are still equally rare just a little more accessible in Canada. Same for the Zellers games as Zellers was a Canadian chain of stores.

Now take that same logic in regards to how common a game is, it just becomes even easier to get the closer to the source you are. I assume these games would be nearly unsalable at this point in Venezuela and in the surrounding area.

how is the rarity guide defined , by how many were produced -or- how many are available

also loose , complete & sealed seem to affect their value (to whomever finds them of ANY value)

my only concern is lowering the "rarity value" to low there will be no interest to distribute these items as they are found

keeping them rated to high though isn't right either

• 2 weeks later...

So nearly 300 people have read this and 1 percent have bothered to vote with some of that being as chas10e mentioned being concern for keeping a false rarity on these commons. Needless to say at this point R2 would be a fitting title for all of them.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/232559-nos-games-from-south-america-motorodeo-road-runnerect/?p=3128306

^^ this (again). I stand by my earlier comment…these games are far from "a dime a dozen". IMHO, R2 is far too low. R1 and R2 designations should be akin to the games you find at just about every garage sale. R3's should be relegated to the games you find every now and again at garage sales. R4 and up is where you start to be happy when you see them at a garage sale. That is always how I have looked at it. Unfortunately, eBay has been the wild west for some time now….you never can tell what you will see, and at what price (both high and low). Just my 2 cents...

I never really ever see Road Runner , Moto Rodeo , Ikari Warriors , and Xenophobe in person or ebay so they should be up there a bit on the rarity guide . Bmx Airmaster is very hard to find but I have seen a couple of those in person . I am looking for a copy of Road Runner and Moto Rodeo incase anyone has any to spare ... pm me if you do please .

I never really ever see Road Runner , Moto Rodeo , Ikari Warriors , and Xenophobe in person or ebay so they should be up there a bit on the rarity guide . Bmx Airmaster is very hard to find but I have seen a couple of those in person . I am looking for a copy of Road Runner and Moto Rodeo incase anyone has any to spare ... pm me if you do please .

There are plenty of both in the links I posted above. You could buy 100 of each if you like.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/232559-nos-games-from-south-america-motorodeo-road-runnerect/?p=3128306

^^ this (again). I stand by my earlier comment…these games are far from "a dime a dozen". IMHO, R2 is far too low. R1 and R2 designations should be akin to the games you find at just about every garage sale. R3's should be relegated to the games you find every now and again at garage sales. R4 and up is where you start to be happy when you see them at a garage sale. That is always how I have looked at it. Unfortunately, eBay has been the wild west for some time now….you never can tell what you will see, and at what price (both high and low). Just my 2 cents...

You can buy hundreds of copies at a time from most of those sellers down south. Literally by the 72 count case. Rarity based on location is not relevant anymore. PAL R1's for example you will NEVER see at a garage sale in Canada or the USA and if you do it's a fluke. That doesn't make them more rare than a R1 it just means they are not plentiful in your area but they are in another area.

If I want to buy 100 copies of motorodeo I can or any other title they offer. If I want to buy 100 copies of gremlins for example I can't no matter where I shop or how much money I want to spend. This is the difference and it needs to be acknowledged in the the rarity guide.

You can buy hundreds of copies at a time from most of those sellers down south. Literally by the 72 count case. Rarity based on location is not relevant anymore. PAL R1's for example you will NEVER see at a garage sale in Canada or the USA and if you do it's a fluke. That doesn't make them more rare than a R1 it just means they are not plentiful in your area but they are in another area.

If I want to buy 100 copies of motorodeo I can or any other title they offer. If I want to buy 100 copies of gremlins for example I can't no matter where I shop or how much money I want to spend. This is the difference and it needs to be acknowledged in the the rarity guide.

Yep…but there are thousands (if not tens of thousands) of R1, R2 and R3 games…no matter where you look. Think about it that way...

• Like 1

I'd like to add the following as well...

Warehouse finds are something of a fluke, and will become less and less frequent (if not completely gone) as the years go by. No one knows for sure how many copies of Motorodeo, Road Runner, Off the Wall, etc. are still available in Venezuela…nor do we know how many there were to start with. For all we know, the copies you are seeing now are the last of em. For all we know, the final total could be only a thousand or so. These copies were found decades after the Atari's popularity had waned, so it's not like there are 20,000 people who are out there searching for a sealed copy of Motorodeo. My guess is that they sold a couple of thousand of these at most…and that is being generous.

Additionally, as Atari Brian said, you can't buy any of these South American warehouse titles for the price of a CIB Pitfall. The supply is being controlled by a very few sellers on eBay, and the price rarely falls below $20 to $30 per copy.

Put all of this together, and I would still call these games rarer than an R3.

I'd like to add the following as well...

Warehouse finds are something of a fluke, and will become less and less frequent (if not completely gone) as the years go by. No one knows for sure how many copies of Motorodeo, Road Runner, Off the Wall, etc. are still available in Venezuela…nor do we know how many there were to start with. For all we know, the copies you are seeing now are the last of em. For all we know, the final total could be only a thousand or so. These copies were found decades after the Atari's popularity had waned, so it's not like there are 20,000 people who are out there searching for a sealed copy of Motorodeo. My guess is that they sold a couple of thousand of these at most…and that is being generous.

Additionally, as Atari Brian said, you can't buy any of these South American warehouse titles for the price of a CIB Pitfall. The supply is being controlled by a very few sellers on eBay, and the price rarely falls below $20 to $30 per copy.

Put all of this together, and I would still call these games rarer than an R3.

I think we will just have to disagree on this one Ben. I wish they still had some glory left in them but they just dont. And a reliable source did tell me there are thousands of each if that makes any difference and they where one of the many sellers of these games.

But yes you can buy these for the price of and cheaper at times than a CIB Pitfall.

EDIT: Cheapest Pitfall for sale on ebay right now CIB is $30. All the SA titles can be had for half of that. Pitfall does sell for cheaper and has so but if your going by right this second pricing it would be cheaper to get both Motorodeo and Ikari Warriors than it would be to get Pitfall alone.

I think we will just have to disagree on this one Ben. I wish they still had some glory left in them but they just dont. And a reliable source did tell me there are thousands of each if that makes any difference and they where one of the many sellers of these games.

But yes you can buy these for the price of and cheaper at times than a CIB Pitfall.

EDIT: Cheapest Pitfall for sale on ebay right now CIB is $30. All the SA titles can be had for half of that. Pitfall does sell for cheaper and has so but if your going by right this second pricing it would be cheaper to get both Motorodeo and Ikari Warriors than it would be to get Pitfall alone.

I still have to disagree. Ebay is not exactly what I would base a rarity guide off of anyhow…but that's just my humble opinion. I put eBay in a category that is akin to the wild west. Obscenely high prices…stupidly low prices. It is all over the place. As for rarity…to me, it all about availability. Just because one or two sellers have a cache of games, doesn't mean there are thousands of them out there. It just means that they have a quantity of them, concentrated in one place, and they want to get rid of them all. Just because they are happy to get $15 to $30 for them, doesn't mean that the well won't eventually run dry.

Truthfully, I know I won't change your mind on this one…you have made that abundantly clear at this point and I am perfectly fine with that. What confuses me is why you bothered to even post a thread, much less a poll on the subject if you already had a firm answer set in your own mind? I'm not the least bit upset…just confused. :?