IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2015 (Season 8)

I am, however, not all that impressed with Sparkster, which usually seems to be regarded as a superclassic. But I'll give it a few more tries later. Maybe it'll grow on me. I also picked up Rocket Knight Adventures, but couldn't get it to run properly. It's a Genesis game. Most of those run ok on a Mega Drive, but this one's acting up. I picked up an adapter on ebay. We'll see if that'll work...

If it's helpful (and if you have a Game Genie), here's the region bypass page I usually consult. The entry for Rocket Knight Adventures makes it sound like the US and EU ROMs are the same, but GoodGen has separate ROMs for each.

I don't think Sparkster is usually regarded as a superclassic -- I thought it was RKA that gets the fulsome praise? I've only played RKA, and that only for an hour tops, but it's a beautifully designed if excessively difficult game (they cranked up the challenge for non-Japanese markets to punish us for rental culture).

• Like 2

Almost forgot to post my times before bed!

anyways got a little gaming in this week :)

Atari 2600

Princess Rescue - 10min

Atari 7800

Failsafe - 40min

Colecovision

Lady Bug - 20min

TRS-80 Model III

Alien Defense - 15min

TI-99/4A

Rasmus Sports - 10min

DOS

Sword of Jade: Parallel Dreams - 55min

Win 95/98

Command & Conquer: Generals - 20min

Elder Scrolls: Morrowind - 15min

Fallout - 60min

• Like 2

A little Sunday night gaming action...

Atari 2600:

Frostbite - 20 minutes (my 9 year old loves this game)

Starmaster - 9 minutes (an unsuccessful attempt to qualify for the Leader patch)

Atlantis - 5 minutes (I think I've underappreciated this game. The graphics are stunning with my composite mod)

• Like 2

My times for the week:

Arcade:

Robotron: 2084 - 10 min.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - 30 min.

Timber - 7 min.

SNES:

Art of Fighting - 40 min.

David Crane's Amazing Tennis - 287 min.

The Itchy & Scratchy Game - 70 min.

Super Tennis - 3 min.

Toys - 73 min.

Beat Art of Fighting, David Crane's Amazing Tennis, and Toys for the SNES beat-'em-all over at NintendoAge. Of these the only new victory is David Crane's Amazing Tennis, which I'd beaten on the Genesis two years ago after a mighty struggle. This time around it was much easier, and I think the main reason is experience rather than differences between the ports (which are relatively few).

Then my wife and I went to the arcade, and beat Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles after much credit-feeding. Beat-'em-ups are actually harder with two players, I think, since the enemy patterns become unpredictable. I also played Robotron, but didn't make it to Wave 9 despite 4-5 attempts.

• Like 2

This week I played... a big old stack of games! :D

FeKFJxZ.jpg

Arcade

Ms. Pac-Man (Namco Museum for Game Boy Advance) - 51 minutes

Ms. Pac-Man (Namco Museum Vol. 3 for PS1) - 24 minutes

Atari 2600

Centipede - 34 minutes

Jr. Pac-Man - 15 minutes

Kung-Fu Master - 8 minutes

Missile Command - 45 minutes

Ms. Pac-Man - 14 minutes

Space Invaders - 32 minutes

Game Boy
The Final Fantasy Legend - 321 minutes

Gauntlet II - 24 minutes

Tetris - 23 minutes

Yoshi - 38 minutes

Yoshi's Cookie - 135 minutes

Game Boy Color
Centipede - 42 minutes

Ms. Pac-Man: Special Color Edition - 134 minutes

Shanghai Pocket - 83 minutes

Sega Genesis

Mortal Kombat II - 58 minutes
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles - 188 minutes

Zero Tolerance - 75 minutes

Total Play Time This Week
1,354 minutes (22 hours 34 minutes)

Individual System Play Times This Week
Game Boy: 541 minutes

Sega Genesis: 321 minutes

Game Boy Color: 259 minutes

Atari 2600: 158 minutes

Arcade: 75 minutes

This week I decided that I should mix things up a little by adding a longer and more story focused game into my usual rotation of arcade and arcade style games, so I decided to give The Final Fantasy Legend for the Game Boy a try. It had been sitting in my Game Boy library for a few months now without ever getting played, and as the first handheld RPG to ever be released in North America I thought it would be fun to check out if for no other reason than it's historical value. What I didn't expect was that it turned out to be crazy difficult, and after a little over 5 hours into the game (on the 5th level of the tower) I ended up getting frustrated and giving up on it. Truth be told though I've never been a big fan of turn based RPGs, nor have I ever been very good at them, so your results may vary should you choose to give The Final Fantasy Legend a try.

Other notable events from this week of gaming include topping my all time high score in Missile Command on the Atari 2600 (using the Wico trackball in the upper right hand corner of the picture) with a new score of 97,105! Also, after an over 2 hour long gaming session playing through every regular level in Yoshi's Cookie, I have a new high score of 115,510! :D As far as what to expect next week goes, I think I'm going to continue playing through Zero Tolerance on the Genesis and no doubt log at least a few more hours in Shanghai Pocket; which is (IMHO) the absolute best handheld shanghai game on any pre-DS era system. I may also dig through my game libraries to see if I can find another long and story focused game that isn't a turn based RPG to play, since I'm still itching for a good story and something to pass large swaths of time. Hmm... there may be some Harvest Moon in my future. :)

• Like 3

Here's the (late again!) summary for Week 26, running from June 22 - 28. We logged 4756 minutes of eligible playtime, playing 65 games on a total of 16 systems.

Top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 1302

2. Historyline 1914-1918 (PC (DOS)) - 765

3. Final Fantasy Legend (Game Boy) - 321

4. David Crane's Amazing Tennis (SNES) - 287

5. Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Genesis) - 188

6. Yoshi's Cookie (Game Boy) - 135

7. Ms. Pac-Man (Game Boy Color) - 134

8. Shanghai Pocket (Game Boy Color) - 83

9. Ms. Pac-Man (Arcade) - 75

9. Zero Tolerance (Genesis) - 75

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 1302

2. Ms. Pac-Man (Arcade) - 75

3. Frostbite (Atari 2600) - 70

3. Mario Bros. (Atari 2600) - 70

5. Tennis (Atari 2600) - 69

6. Thunderground (Atari 2600) - 55

7. Pitfall II: The Lost Caverns (Atari 2600) - 52

8. Missile Command (Atari 2600) - 45

9. Failsafe (Atari 7800) - 40

10. Starmaster (Atari 2600) - 37

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (1830)

2. PC (DOS) (820)

3. Game Boy (541)

4. SNES (473)

5. Genesis (386)

6. Game Boy Color (259)

7. Arcade (122)

8. PC (Windows 95/98) (95)

9. Commodore PET (63)

10. Atari 7800 (40)

Another mighty week for the VCS and Kaboom, and for the tracker as a whole!

Surprisingly the only new addition to the 1000-minute club is Historyline 1914-1918, which takes spot #156 with 1554 minutes logged so far. However, a certain VCS game, which has been logging gameplay time for 7 years, is now hovering just 5 minutes shy of four digits.

Also nice to see a rare appearance by the TRS-80 Model I/III series, which has only shown up once before.

Next week I'll post some mid-year stats. BTW I'm getting wisdom tooth surgery next Monday, so I'm afraid there's a good chance the stats will be late again. Feel free to dock my pay! :D

• Like 3

Get rid of those suckers and take all the time you need.

Thanks! I'll be getting rid of two suckers on Monday -- I'm doing them 2 at a time with local anesthetic only. I'd rather deal with pain than get knocked out (a prospect that creeps me out), and anyway they're all erupted and upright so I'm hoping for an uncomplicated extraction.

• Like 1

Thanks! I'll be getting rid of two suckers on Monday -- I'm doing them 2 at a time with local anesthetic only. I'd rather deal with pain than get knocked out (a prospect that creeps me out), and anyway they're all erupted and upright so I'm hoping for an uncomplicated extraction.

Good luck! I had all four of mine taken out (years ago) with local anesthesia. Very minor swelling. I took the first pain pill they gave me at the office but never needed to take another. My wife's experience getting her wisdom teeth removed didn't go quite as well. I hope your experience is more like mine :)

• Like 2

A little Atari 7800 action tonight...

Atari 7800:

Dig Dug - 10 minutes

Desert Falcon - 5 minutes

Crack'ed - 5 minutes

Impossible Mission - 3 minutes

Joust - 10 minutes

Ballblazer - 4 minutes

Dark Chambers - 40 minutes (guess which game I liked the best)

My brother is visiting this weekend and looking forward to playing a bunch of games so hopefully I'll have another report before Monday.

• Like 2

Atari 2600:

Pac-Man - 9 min.

Mega Drive:

Zoop - 7 min.

NES/Famicom:

Road Fighter - 8 min.

Super Mario Bros - 5 min.

PET:

Shark - 4 min.

Sheep - 8 min.

Ski [Mike Singleton] - 10 min.

S-Racer - 3 min.

Thunt! [Chris Torkildson, Cursor #22] - 3 min.

SNES:

Super R-Type - 4 min.

Most time this week was spent with installing a CF card in an Amiga 600, counting the hours to format the drive in the wrong way it well exceeded 12 hours but since none of that qualifies as game playing, it is not eligible. Eventually I found there is a quick parameter to the format command, which makes a 3 GB partition format in 15 seconds instead of 8 hours. I wish I had known about that to start with...

The actual game play was a combination of going through more PET games (I'm seeing the end of the tunnel, there comes pass #2 to play again the ones I've put into consideration), function testing a couple of consoles for the club (it turned out both the NES which was said to be possibly broken, as well as the SNES and Mega Drive were all perfectly fine - yay) as well as bringing home an Atari 2600jr to modify for composite video. My first attempt based on Brighty83's notes works better than expected, but there is a bit of wobble that might be because I chose a capacitor with 1000 times more capacity than it should.

post-5454-0-79730200-1436107637_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Atari 2600

Astroblast: 18 min

Indy 500: 5 min

PC (DOS)

Historyline 1914-18: 200 min

Game Boy Classic

Great Greed: 7 min

Wave Race: 2 min

Some quick High Score Club participation scores on the 2600, some testing of newly acquired GB games and one more map along the long way to beating Historyline.

• Like 2

I got a TRS-80 Color Computer 2 in the mail Thursday so been messing around with it a bit :)

Demolition Derby - 70min

Pretty fun little car crashing game

Mega Bug - 385min

My favorite game so far :)

Wildcatting - 5min

Not really sure what im supposed to do in this game lol

Got some more games coming in Monday, so ill have more times for next weeks tracker report :)

• Like 2

ONLY ATARI 2600:

1) Beany Bopper - 23 minutes. Highest score: 106,740 points (Rolled The Score)

post-24681-0-27586900-1436123706_thumb.png

2) Chopper Command - 115 minutes. Highest score: 517,700 points on Game 1-BB

3) Dolphin - 60 minutes. Highest score: 300,000 points (Amazing!) on Game 1-BB / 16 lives remaining at 290,000+ points

4) Frostbite - 105 minutes. Highest score: 575,070 points on Game 1

post-24681-0-95879100-1436123710_thumb.png

5) Ice Hockey - 15 minutes. Highest score: 23 points differential (30-7) on Game 3-BB

6) Seaquest - 80 minutes. Highest score: 410,830 points on Game 1-BB

post-24681-0-02007600-1436123719_thumb.png

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 2

Here are my times for this past week (June 29th through July 5th)...

sorry, again no gaming this week. Yesterday I attended the 60th birthday of my former chief and also played for him on my keyboard, and I had to do some rehearsals in the days before that. Apart from that, I was busy trying to decide what to do about some aging rechargeable batteries I have and where to get a replacement battery for the mobile phone of my parents.

• Like 2

I've been putting off posting for a while.

I went on a PC-filled week though, which I'm happy about. Having lots of time on the weekends makes it all the better, too.

PC (DOS):

Heretic: Shadows of the Serpent Riders - 27 minutes

HeXen: Beyond Heretic - 34 minutes

HeXen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel - 23 minutes

Hovertank 3D - 34 minutes

Chex Quest - 20 minutes

Chex Quest 2 - 23 minutes

PC (Windows):

HeXen II - 17 minutes

Apple II:

Akalabeth: World of Doom - 23 minutes

Sinclair ZX 80:

Adventure 'A': Planet of Death - 20 minutes

Sinclair ZX 81:

3D Monster Maze - 9 minutes

Sinclair ZX Spectrum:

Jetpac - 12 minutes

BMX Ninja - 7 minutes

Auf Wiedersehen Monty - 20 minutes

Commodore 64:

Impossible Mission - 45 minutes

Atari VCS:

Megamania - 6 minutes

Space Jockey - 8 minutes

ET - 15 minutes

PC Engine:

Splatterhouse - 13 minutes

R-Type - 26 minutes

PS1:

DOOM - 35 minutes

Arcade:

Splatterhouse - 43 minutes

Edited by BurritoBeans
  • Like 3

Had a great Saturday night. My brother spent the night and he, my son and I played games for hours. Seemed like we were kids again.

Atari 2600:

Kaboom - 30 minutes

Frostbite - 40 minutes

Oink - 12 minutes

Demons to Diamonds - 5 minutes

Intellivision:

Donkey Kong (Coleco) - 5 minutes (I wanted to start with this before showing him the newer versions)

Donkey Kong (Intelligentvision) - 15 minutes (so much better)

D2K Arcade - 15 minutes

Burgertime - 20 minutes

Christmas Carol - 30 minutes

Stonix - 105 minutes

The Intellivision homebrews are all incredible. However, I had never played Stonix before. We loved it!

• Like 2

My times for the week:

Genesis:

The Itchy & Scratchy Game - 35 min.

SNES:

Andre Agassi Tennis - 20 min.

The Chessmaster - 32 min.

The Ignition Factor - 54 min.

The Itchy & Scratchy Game - 158 min.

No Escape - 7 min.

Super Tennis - 83 min.

Wordtris - 86 min.

Beat the SNES version of The Itchy & Scratchy Game on Medium & Hard difficulties (I cleared Easy last week). Terrible game! I also replayed the Genesis version on Easy to compare the two; each has its own faults, but I think the Genesis version is significantly better despite being an unreleased prototype.

For the NA beat-'em-all, I beat Chessmaster on the lowest "real" difficulty, while in Wordtris I looped Level J (the highest level) and got the goal word on Advanced difficulty. That's good enough for them, but if and when I do the same on Expert, I'll consider that beating Wordtris for my purposes.

Then, two tennis games: Andre Agassi, which perhaps isn't as "objectively" execrable on the SNES as it was on the Genesis...but that just makes it bad and boring. Lost a couple exhibition matches, 6-1 and 6-2, but the good news is that you only have to play one 4-round tournament to beat the game (unlike the Genesis version, where you need to win four of them in a row -- with no passwords or tiebreaks!).

The other is Super Tennis, where I won the year's first tournament and was cruising in the Australian until Brian, a net-rushing fiend, beat me 6-2 6-3 in the semis. He plays a lot like the final boss, Don J, whom I know from when I "beat" the game in emulation w/savestates about 15 years ago (!), so it's good practice.

Finally, after several attempts I managed to figure out the first area of The Ignition Factor, a firefighting game I've owned for quite a while but had never really gotten around to playing. It only gives you a password after beating 2-3 areas at a time, so I'll need to do more work to earn my first one, but so far it seems very playable.

• Like 2