IGNORED

Commodore 64 newbie

Hi. I just got a Commodore 64. I need to re-acquaint myself with this machine. I had one when I was really little. I played Kindercomp on it. Seeing it in a shop, I decided to try and relive those days by getting one. So now I need some cartridge games. The only cartridge that I got is a brown one called "Quick Brown Fox." (color is fitting.) It seems to be a word processor of sorts, but I don't have a printer or a disk drive so I can't really use it much. I need some cartridge games for this thing. I am desperately wanting anything, even dirt commons, because I don't really have any games for this thing. Is there anything Commodore 64 exclusive games I should get?

• Like 2

Hi. I just got a Commodore 64. I need to re-acquaint myself with this machine. I had one when I was really little. I played Kindercomp on it.

Congratulations!!! I bought my SX-64 in about 1986-1987. From a guy in Salem, Oregon that wanted to buy a C128.

Seeing it in a shop, I decided to try and relive those days by getting one. So now I need some cartridge games. The only cartridge that I got is a brown one called "Quick Brown Fox." (color is fitting.) It seems to be a word processor of sorts, but I don't have a printer or a disk drive so I can't really use it much. I need some cartridge games for this thing. I am desperately wanting anything, even dirt commons, because I don't really have any games for this thing. Is there anything Commodore 64 exclusive games I should get?

There are quite a few Cartridge Games, but also many Cassette Games and Disk Games..

I have a few games, I have collected over the years, but don't really play them.. I would be willing to part with some.. Let me see what I have...

MarkO

I'd recommend getting something like SD2IEC, then you can play pretty much anything heh.

There aren't a lot of exclusive C64 titles only on cartridge, so getting a device to play other titles would be recommended.

I'd 2nd this. I have one and I love it. :)

• Like 1

If you want to get some awesome, modern games for your Commodore 64, check out RGCD's shop. All their games are on cartridge and should work on any NTSC or PAL machine unless noted. I have a bunch of their games now and think they're some of the most impressive games ever made for the system!

http://rgcd.bigcartel.com/category/commodore-64-29

atari2600land wrote:

> I am desperately wanting anything, even dirt commons, because I don't really have any games for this

> thing.

Contact the Portland Commodore User Group.

http://pdxcug.org

They should have plenty of extra hardware (disk drives, cassette drives, etc.) and games (disks, cartridges, etc.) to fulfill your wishes.

Truly,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group

http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

Edited by RobertB

I went back to the store and during a conversation, I brought up that I bought the Commodore 64. He then proceeded to give me a disk drive. He said it didn't work. When I brought it home, sure enough, it doesn't work. All it does is flash its red light. What do I do now?

When you power it on, the drive rotates and both lights are lit. Does the drive stop rotating after a few seconds (normal) and does one of the two lights go out (normal), or does it start to blink by itself? There can be a wide range of faults. Internally the drive operates with two voltages: one for the drive mechanism, one for the logic. If the voltage for the logic fails, the drive won't finish it boot up sequence and the drive keeps spinning.

If you are handy with repairing electronics, or know someone who is, here is a page with known faults and how they could be fixed:

http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm/1541/1541chip.txt

See also the 1541/ directory level above the text document.

When I turn it on, the drive doesn't stop spinning, even when I put in the disk. If by drive, you mean the thing that is spinning as big as the hole on the floppy is. I opened it up. The red light blinks three times, then stops, then blinks three more times, then stops, continue...

I think it might be this:

"

UB2 TMM2016AP-10 16K SRAM  also TMM2116AP-15 or MB8128-15  When drive powered up, motor runs continuously and red LED flashesslowly (about 1 flash per second). "

You got it free so think about spending a few bucks to fix it.

There are some youtube videos about 1541 repair.

Also, Ray Carlsen is very gracious about offering advice on C64 repair. He may even be willing to repair the 1541 - his rates are very reasonable.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/

As far as C64 carts: Pacman, Popeye, Toy Bizarre, Radar Rat Race, Tapper - all good games and there are many more. If you get the 1541 going consider installing a Jiffy DOS on that and your C64. I hear Zoom Floppy is useful too (I think you can transfer disk images to actual disks or something). The micro IEC from go4retro would be a good investment if you want to get both a good price and access to games. If you want to be able to run everything, get an Ultimate 1541 II.

Congratulations on your purchase, now you have the most epic machine of the eighties in many peoples opinion. ;-)

Also check out C64.com - To Protect and Preserve

For example here you can click on the games link and get info and demos for thousands(?) of games...

Hope you can fix your 1541 and you should also get a cassette player.

A multicart and/or a Commodore 64C/128 1541 Disk Drive Emulation SD2IEC SD Card Reader are great I suppose, but if you really want that

retro feeling you should use the original hardware now and then... ;-)

To get a cassette tape filled with cracked games that you went through during many late hours are fond memories...

yell0w_lantern wrote:

> Also, Ray Carlsen is very gracious about offering advice on C64 repair. He may even be willing to repair

> the 1541 - his rates are very reasonable.

Ray has repaired many, many disk drives for my club and me.

> As far as C64 carts: Pacman, Popeye, Toy Bizarre, Radar Rat Race, Tapper - all good games and there

> are many more.

And there are the C64 multicarts, like Multicart 64 and MultiMax.

Truly,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group

http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm