IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

R73 on Lynx 1 is part of voltage divider for AC connected. Without it working, Lynx 1 would not be able to tell if it's connected to AC power or battery and thus would auto-shut off after some inactivity time. This feature was disabled in Lynx 2.

On Lynx 2, it is part of the power on/off system. Part numbering were reshuffled for dumb reason.

• Like 1

Would you mind sharing what problems ? :) My guess is that by removing R73 the remaining voltage on the AC connected input is higher than normal ?

Maybe the LCD draw a bit more power and sometimes the level of AC connected got a bit too low (as I calculated it would be 7.1V if exactly 9V is coming from the AC adapter, and 7.0Volt is the lowest limit for a CMOS high) so the Lynx would turn off after some minutes ?

Anyway.....since the LCD is well on it's way to me I already started ripping out all unnecessary parts.

One thing I need to know for sure: do I have to remove both the small and large flat cables completely from the PCB ? I mean, these are not used anymore ?

And what is the best way to remove them ?

Edited by Level42

Never mind, saw some pics of Lynx I mods on this thread and it's clear that both flat cables (FPC, I hadn't heard about that abbreviation before) need to be removed completely.

Now I have a very naked Lynx PCB here....I'm waiting for the mail-man ;)

• Like 1

For Lynx 1, yes to them. Lynx 2 has single cable to LCD and separate cable for front buttons. Atari were nice and used connector rather than directly mounting the cable to the PCB so just unclip and Lynx 2 LCD can be removed quickly and if it's still good working condition, offered to someone who has spots or lines and aren't able to get McWill LCD or wants to keep the Lynx 100% original.

Lynx 1 is a bit trickier though, careless ripping could damage the PCB and make soldering wires a bit hard.

• Like 2

OK........

Marco first of all you did some completely brilliant work on this LCD......but

Writing a good instruction is clearly not your talent ;););)

The Quick guide makes me feel puzzled constantly.....

When I get this thing installed and working let me write a new step-by-step guide :D

Let me get this right: do I need to make a jumper from Vcc (+5V) from somewhere on the Lynx PCB to TP12 ? It would make sense since removing the power module renders that section without its normal +20V......

Edited by Level42

Also.....you indicate "Backlight - pin 4 on the right" next to the LCD-PCB drawing and then on the drawing of the Lynx under Step4 there is "Backlight" indicated on the PCB......do I need to connect these ?

And what's up with the TPR also indicated there ?

I know, it's not mine either ;) but it's not just a language thing...

But a good instruction would prevent a lot of questions. And I'd be glad to help write it, and then someone who's native language is English can correct it ;)

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

a couple of gotchas I ran into:

- instructions talk about jumper but never say where it is / what it's labelled!

- instructions aren't clear about the display button wiring. eg. what happens if I wire pin 1 to GND and still wire display to pin 4? If I dont install VGA connector, is it possible to make display button do on/off/retro without cycling through non-existing VGA options.

Most important: instructions talk about testing Vcc. Is it even possible for Lynx to run normally with Vcc >5.5V?? Testing for that Voltage (by shorting GND in battery to middle pin on headphone jack) released magic smoke in mine resulting in me needing to buy another Lynx. :(

I know, it's not mine either ;) but it's not just a language thing...

But a good instruction would prevent a lot of questions. And I'd be glad to help write it, and then someone who's native language is English can correct it ;)

English is the only language I know. I have done my own write up for the Lynx II & gg with pics to clear some things up. I'd be more than happy to help out too if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Krip316

Most important: instructions talk about testing Vcc. Is it even possible for Lynx to run normally with Vcc >5.5V?? Testing for that Voltage (by shorting GND in battery to middle pin on headphone jack) released magic smoke in mine resulting in me needing to buy another Lynx. :(

The Lynx chipset is CMOS technology which means it can handle up to 7 Volts so yes the Lynx can run at voltages over 5V. 9V (or higher) is too high though.

Edited by Level42

I also did a quick test with overclocking. I had the Lemmings cart in it so graphically a very "slow" game but.....it worked fine :)

Turned the clock all the way up to 22Mhz (the max for now) and display was fine. Not sure how it will respond to games with fast graphics will test that tonight.

However this is already very promising. The only thing that the new LCD doesn't like is underclocking but so does the original screen.

• Like 1

OK one thing I still don't get.....do I need to route a wire between the [backlight] solder pad on the LCD to the center of the brightness pot as indicated on the last drawing ?

I didn't do that first and the screen worked, so I just soldered a wire between these two points thinking I could select some things (like scan lines) but the pot doesn't do anything ?

OK one thing I still don't get.....do I need to route a wire between the [backlight] solder pad on the LCD to the center of the brightness pot as indicated on the last drawing ?

I didn't do that first and the screen worked, so I just soldered a wire between these two points thinking I could select some things (like scan lines) but the pot doesn't do anything ?

Yes, for switching the modes you need the wire from backlight point of ATARI PCB to pin 4 backlight of LCD mod kit. Otherwise you can't switch between the modes normal picture, scanlines, VGA and VGA scanlines. If you wire pin 1 of LCD mod kit to GND, then VGA modes are not provided and you just have 2 modes: internal 3.5" LCD normal and internal 3.5" with scanlines. You have to switch by BACKLIGHT BUTTON, not thumbwheel. The thumbwheel on LYNX-II is not necessary anymore. It's only necessary on LYNX-I for switching the modes.