IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

If you want to do it yourself, pm McWill to order the kit. If you need it done, McWill, cowdog360 or I can do for you.

Do you know what the price difference is between just the kit and having it installed by one of you guys? I have a lynx already and im watching videos of it being installed now and it doesnt seem terribly complicated but thats coming from someone with no soldering experience...

My new video on how to install a McWill LCD into your Lynx Model I. On my channel you can also see how to install a McWill LCD into your Lynx Model II. Have a look tell your friends :)

Lynx McWill LCD model I install:

Lynx McWill LCD model II install:

My main channel is here:

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=glen%20planamento&sm=1

Why not subscribe so you never miss a video :)

• Like 2

Had my modified Lynx II with new screen for a few days now, and I must admit the screen is great. I would highly recommend McWill's screen upgrade. I didn't get the VGA output as I mainly use my Lynx on the road and not at home. He also fixed another Lynx II for me, for which I am grateful. Overall money well spent.

Mmmmm, I seem to have a few issues with the LCD....

First of all there is a horizontal white line permanently on the bottom of the screen.

Second, the brightness somehow seems to be too high, which causes "banding".....or......not sure how to name it, but in general the blacks on my LCD seem too bright, making them gray, and whenever there are objects on the screen, there are horizontal stripes "going along" with them.....

Did I do anything wrong ?

post-25272-0-95991400-1473313372_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

Mmmmm, I seem to have a few issues with the LCD....

First of all there is a horizontal white line permanently on the bottom of the screen.

Second, the brightness somehow seems to be too high, which causes "banding".....or......not sure how to name it, but in general the blacks on my LCD seem too bright, making them gray, and whenever there are objects on the screen, there are horizontal stripes "going along" with them.....

Did I do anything wrong ?

Did you do the 5 Volt mod? Please check, if you have some short circuits at the old LCD ribbon.

But it also can be a faulty LCD. Then send the complete LYNX to my address and I will check it.

LOL, I guess you missed my thread here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/255254-the-perfect-lynx/

In short: Yeah you can say I did a 5V mod, but not like anyone else has done before :)

In short:
I ripped out the entire power section from the Lynx and inserted a Powerboost 1000C with a lipo battery and a micro-USB (Raspberry Pi) wall-outlet power supply.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the +5V is OK....actually I know as I measured it.

I'll check your suggestion of some shorts on the old LCD ribbon (connections) and will check all the wiring.

I happen to be in Oldenburg Germany this weekend (at Eurocade) but want to demo my Lynx there (incl. the screen) so I hope to fix it before that :)

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

Double checked all former ribbon "pins" and as far as I can measure there are no shorts.

Marco, I don't think so but could it be that the fact that I don't have VR1 installed anymore have any influence ? I think it would be very unlikely but still need to ask as this is non-standard of course....but as far as I know this is only used to select screen modes ?

I haven't installed a VGA connector though so I don't need switching it (yet ;))

• Like 1

It don't matter if you have VR1 installed or not on the LYNX-II (because for switching you have the backlight button!), also on the LYNX-I (if you don't need to switch between different modes!). The old backlight circuit isn't needed anymore. On LYNX-I with backlight thumbwheel you can switch between the different modes and the backlight pad of the LCD replacement is set to '0' or '1' (if you soldered the backlight wire).
So I can have a look at it, if you want. You can send the complete LYNX-I (without any cables or PSU) or just the LCD mod kit to my address.

• Like 2

Did anyone make a step-by-step description or video for doing the Lynx I LCD mod ?

I plan to put together a How-to for the Lynx I mod, but so far life has gotten in the way. I've done two of these mods and have learned a thing or two in the process. First of all, don't even attempt this if you are not good with a soldering iron. I consider myself a pro at soldering, but this was challenging.

I just finished giving my "Ugly" Lynx I a face lift (e.g. new front cover) and will post some pictures tomorrow showing two ComLynx'ed together playing Xenophone.

I'd also recommend you do the 5 Volt mod at some point as the Lynx power system is a bit of a ticking time bomb. If the voltage regulator goes bad, it will send 9 volts and fry many internal components as well as your beautiful new screen. I plan to document that process as well. Oh well, the best laid plans of mice and men!

In the meantime, if you or anyone else has questions about installing the screen, or how to do the 5 Volt Mod, just PM me.

I documented via pictures what I did to complete both of these.

I'll help as much as I can!

I've had the Lynx I screen mod for several months now for both of my Atari Lynx I's and love it! It is how the Lynx should be from the beginning (had they had the technology back then).

Edited by apr2499
  • Like 1

I recently gave my old beat up Lynx I a face lift! I found someone with a broken Lynx on eBay and took the front cover and put on one of my Lynx I's with a McWill screen.

So now both of my Lynx's look as good as I they did when I bought my first one in 1989! With the McWill screen mod, they actually look better than new!

I took some pictures of both of the Lynx's with Xenophobe playing and connected together in 2 player mode with the ComLynx cable! Enjoy!

Also it sounds like there is some interest in how to do the 5 Volt mod for the Lynx I, so I will try to get a how-to guide out there pretty soon!

Photo%20Sep%2011%209%2056%2009%20PM_zpsd

Photo%20Sep%2011%209%2056%2028%20PM_zps2

Photo%20Sep%2011%209%2056%2047%20PM_zpsy

Edited by apr2499
  • Like 2

Oh man, looks so awesome! I'd kill to play Xenophobe multiplayer. I only knew one person that had a Lynx growing up, and he moved away by the time I got mine for Christmas that year. Missed Lynx connections I suppose :(

Also, I wish you would have posted earlier about not even attempting if you're not a soldering master. Shortly after I got mine in the mail it went straight off to cowdog :)

Hello,

I would to thank these 3 people:
- McWill of course for his fantastic screen
- Moonlight23 for his video tutorial (I made the LCD replacement only with his video)
- Cowdog360 for his 5V regulator Mod tutorial. There was no failure with the original regulator (not yet) but the Lynx was open, so I decided to make it on a preventive way.

The image was blurry, the contrast awful and I had dead pixels everywhere on my screen.
With this new LCD, this is a "New Lynx", awesome !!!

For those who still hesitate, I'd like to say that I'm not a professional and that the modification is made without any trouble with some patiente and thoroughness.

Thanks again.

post-47732-0-79653500-1473797241_thumb.jpgpost-47732-0-30667900-1473797310_thumb.jpgpost-47732-0-11681500-1473797332_thumb.jpgpost-47732-0-56895800-1473797361_thumb.jpg

post-47732-0-88756500-1473797389_thumb.jpgpost-47732-0-73308700-1473797401_thumb.jpg

post-47732-0-65725400-1473797405_thumb.jpgpost-47732-0-33009400-1473797411_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hello,

I would to thank these 3 people:

- McWill of course for his fantastic screen

- Moonlight23 for his video tutorial (I made the LCD replacement only with his video)

- Cowdog360 for his 5V regulator Mod tutorial. There was no failure with the original regulator (not yet) but the Lynx was open, so I decided to make it on a preventive way.

The image was blurry, the contrast awful and I had dead pixels everywhere on my screen.

With this new LCD, this is a "New Lynx", awesome !!!

For those who still hesitate, I'd like to say that I'm not a professional and that the modification is made without any trouble with some patiente and thoroughness.

Thanks again.

attachicon.gif1a.jpgattachicon.gif1b.jpgattachicon.gif2a.jpgattachicon.gif2b.jpg

attachicon.gif3a.jpgattachicon.gif3b.jpg

attachicon.gif4.jpgattachicon.gif5.jpg

Just remember, if you use batteries, do not leave them in the Lynx. The batteries will be dead by the next day. I take 1 out whenever I use batteries.
  • Like 1

Krip316 is correct, with the 5V mod, the regulator never shuts off even when the Lynx is off, so you end up with a current draw. Also, since the original power on circuit isn't controlling the regulator, removing the cart. doesn't help either. Removing the cartridge normally would kill power draw when idle.

I know some folks are sold on the 5V mod, so at some point I'd like to redo the 5V mod to use a regulator with an enable pin and use some of the stock power circuitry to turn it on and off so this is a non-issue.

• Like 2

Also, I'd like to add to @Sam83 nice and tidy work there, it looks good. My only concern is that you use 30 gauge "Kynar" wire for the LCD power and ground. That thin of single stranded wire isn't ideal for it, but it probably will work. I'm not 100% sure how much mA the LCD draws, but personally I'd be a little safer and go with at least a 26gauge wire (or some more of that ribbon wire you've got). Insulation isn't very thick on it either, so I'd worry about it easily shorting during vibration (you do have it fairly well secured though).

Over all, looks great!

• Like 1

It appears that people haven't done their research and are now going back to the thinking that they need to replace the power circuitry in the Lynx with a 5v Reg.

This is a backwards step (or a bodge fix if you want to call it that).

The original Lynx circuit is a true high efficiency switching regulator! Hook it up to an oscilloscope if you don't believe me. The part that fails is the FET after years of being high frequency switched. In order to fix it properly, replace the FET with a modern equivalent and replace the Zener diode too as a precaution.

If you re-wire it with a modern 5v Switching reg it will drain your batteries as it is permanently wired in, plus the Lynx won't work below 6.2v whereas the original power circuit doesn't drain your batteries in a couple of days plus it allows the Lynx to work to about 4.5v. Also if the modern switching reg fails (as it's still just a switching regulator) you can still get 9v straight into your Lynx so you are actually just worse off by doing this mod.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247305-old-stock-lynx-vs-new-mcwill-screen-recom-power-reg-power-consumption/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/236279-what-are-the-5v-regulator-mod/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/254446-lynx-power-circuit-upgraderepair-better-than-5v-mod/

• Like 1

Amen to that Orange-Phantom !!!!!!!

This 5V mod idea started to float around and it seems hard to kill.......please people STOP the 5V mod. It is NOT the solution to the problem....in fact it introduces more problems.

Just replace the MOSFET and Zener diode instead.

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1