IGNORED

Is the Tandy Color Computer becoming more popular to collectors?

AtariLeaf

The CoCo is a really interesting machine with tremendous potential! Was just having a really cool discussion with Greg Zumwalt on the homebrew forum, he wrote a ton of cool CoCo games bitd and designed hardware accelerator technology for the CoCo and the CoCo 4 prototype! :)

There was no real CoCo 4 prototype. It was only something hoped for that never got management approval. We discuss it in the book, CoCo: The Colorful History of Tandy's Underdog Computer. My co-author has the case mockup (about as far as they got), which he showed off at the last VCF East and CoCoFest.

Perhaps he meant one of the third party computers hoping to be the successor to the CoCo 3 (also discussed in the book)?

There was no real CoCo 4 prototype. It was only something hoped for that never got management approval. We discuss it in the book, CoCo: The Colorful History of Tandy's Underdog Computer. My co-author has the case mockup (about as far as they got), which he showed off at the last VCF East and CoCoFest.

Perhaps he meant one of the third party computers hoping to be the successor to the CoCo 3 (also discussed in the book)?

Your CoCo book was awesome Bill, enjoyed it tremendously! :) Perhaps it was one of the third party designs, I remember reading about a few concept ideas at the time though not sure how far they got as I was mostly out of the scene by 89. I suspect all of the 68k protos must have had the compatibility issues you and Boisey attributed to garnering Rainbow's disapproval.

Your CoCo book was awesome Bill, enjoyed it tremendously! :) Perhaps it was one of the third party designs, I remember reading about a few concept ideas at the time though not sure how far they got as I was mostly out of the scene by 89. I suspect all of the 68k protos must have had the compatibility issues you and Boisey attributed to garnering Rainbow's disapproval.

Thanks. While it's easy to point the finger at Rainbow (after all, they flat out said don't buy any of them!), I think the editorial decision not to endorse anything was a sound one, retrospect or not. With competing computers all released around the same time, there was no way the already shrinking community was going to be able to effectively rally around just one and help it gain any significant momentum. That's of course ignoring the fact that releasing what would essentially amount to a completely new platform without retail support at that time just didn't make sense in light of the larger market consolidating on the PC compatible standard, with some of the bigger remaining names struggling already.

Top of my head, the only time I can recall a computer platform getting a second life as it were with an aftermarket computer was the Geneve 9640 for the TI-99/4a and its PEB. That took about three years after the effective commercial life of the TI-99/4a ended, and, while an interesting experiment that did extend the life of the base platform for many users, didn't exactly set the computing world on fire. You already had to be a die-hard TI-99/4a enthusiast to see any value in it. I can't imagine even a unified CoCo 3 successor faring any better, and frankly, by the time they were being attempted, probably far worse considering the computing environment of the time. Still, it's all interesting history.

• Like 3

$40 - $50 for a good condition, non-yellow 64k coco 2 is about current market value I believe. I paid $60 shipped for the last one I bought and about $20 of that was shipping which was back in early December but I've paid as little as $5 or $10 for boxed ones in years past.

I would love to find one of the white, late model Coco 1's. I remember someone on atariage having one for sale years ago and i regret not going after it. Don't know if it actually sold or not.

If you can find a nice, fully working CoCo1 for $50-75, it would be worth picking up. Oddly enough, I remember a former teacher on Ebay who was liquidating a fairly large number of these from their school in fully tested condition a few years back (most of them with upgrades to the memory), and most of them all sold for under $50. I tried selling a fully tested unit here on Atariage with a joystick and a few boxed games for what basically amounted to $45 plus shipping, and had no takers. I eventually sold it locally, but it took forever to find a buyer.

I will say, after using a factory stock CoCo1, the later machines are definitely an improvement... especially the CoCo3. I would hate to have to do some serious typing on the original CoCo1 keyboard. The CoCo1 system I keep around has a high-quality upgraded keyboard, which is definitely a good thing to have on the original CoCo

I have an upgraded CoCo1 (64K and Extended Color BASIC), but it's a little rough; the case has pretty severe wrist wear, the keys are pretty yellow, the channel select switch is busted, and the artifact colors are out of whack (they look green + pink instead of the proper blue + orange). So yeah, looking for an upgrade at CoCo1. :) I also have a CoCo2 and CoCo3 so it doesn't really need upgrades; I'd be using it mainly for the early-mid CoCo experience (carts and tapes).

I actually banged out a couple of BASIC games from one of those Radio Shack program books, and I actually liked the keyboard. It seemed oddly modern, like a Mac keyboard with more substance. No idea what my WPM would be on it, though. :-D

If anyone happens to have an extra controller & ribbon cable for a disk drive for a CoCo2, I am interested!

Seems like this would be the thread to say this.

I just picked up a CoCo2 + disk drive + modem (!) + dot matrix printer for $65. Was pretty happy to get it, but it was missing this key piece - a piece they MUST have had at some point. Kind of annoyed.

I think I might have a controller & ribbon cable for the disk drive. I won't be able to check until March as it's in storage in another state, but I will check for it when I get there.

That would be very kind of you, killersquirrel, I would really appreciate it! Thank you kindly for your effort in advance!

If killersquirrel doesn't have the controller I probably do. I don't plan on getting a floppy drive. I'm not sure on the ribbon cable, though.

The good news is that the ribbon cable is a standard MFM floppy drive cable (like on the IBMs). As long as it has an edge-connector plug on both sides, it ought to work.

Top of my head, the only time I can recall a computer platform getting a second life as it were with an aftermarket computer was the Geneve 9640 for the TI-99/4a and its PEB. That took about three years after the effective commercial life of the TI-99/4a ended, and, while an interesting experiment that did extend the life of the base platform for many users, didn't exactly set the computing world on fire. You already had to be a die-hard TI-99/4a enthusiast to see any value in it. I can't imagine even a unified CoCo 3 successor faring any better, and frankly, by the time they were being attempted, probably far worse considering the computing environment of the time. Still, it's all interesting history.

In my opinion, Tandy/Radio Shack provided a second life of sorts to the IBM PCjr. in the form of the Tandy 1000. The PCjr. graphics and sound standards would have quickly withered (introduced November, 1983, canceled March, 1985) away had the Tandy not taken its place. Thanks to Tandy, games had support for the graphics and the sound into the early 1990s. Even though there compatibility issues, the PCjr. user groups hung around for quite a while because of the Tandy software that potentially could be run on it.

On my blog, some guy asked which was better, the CoCo 3 or C64. While I have never encountered any CoCo in person and rarely found reason to emulate it, I have a C64 and emulate it quite frequent. The sheer amount of great games for the C64 dwarfs the tiny number of great CoCo 3 games, and the CoCo 1 & 2 is like an Apple II with 5% of the library

Edited by Great Hierophant
  • Like 1

In my opinion, Tandy/Radio Shack provided a second life of sorts to the IBM PCjr. in the form of the Tandy 1000. The PCjr. graphics and sound standards would have quickly withered (introduced November, 1983, canceled March, 1985) away had the Tandy not taken its place. Thanks to Tandy, games had support for the graphics and the sound into the early 1990s. Even though there compatibility issues, the PCjr. user groups hung around for quite a while because of the Tandy software that potentially could be run on it.

On my blog, some guy asked which was better, the CoCo 3 or C64. While I have never encountered any CoCo in person and rarely found reason to emulate it, I have a C64 and emulate it quite frequent. The sheer amount of great games for the C64 dwarfs the tiny number of great CoCo 3 games, and the CoCo 1 & 2 is like an Apple II with 5% of the library

I'm OK with that argument and I discuss something similar in the book, "Vintage Game Consoles." Strictly speaking, however, the Tandy 1000 was more of an offshoot than a direct descendant of the PCjr, as it was obviously not directly compatible (or vice-versa without some effort). Tandy very much made the graphics and sound standard their own and leveraged their better in-built PC compatibility (over what the PCjr offered) to great advantage. I brought up the example of the Geneve because that was literally built off the back of the TI-99/4a platform to create a next generation experience. For all practical purposes, the Tandy 1000 series systems were a branch from a common ancestor.

The CoCo is a great platform with an enthusiastic community, but, despite the platform's almost decade-long existence in stores, for a variety of reasons it was and still is an afterthought. Even with the improved visuals and memory of the CoCo 3, it was hardly a great game machine, but it certainly was a powerful 8-bit computing device, in some ways superior to most other 8-bit offerings. It's in no way comparable to a C-64, Apple II, or even Atari 8-bit in terms of what's available for it or will continue to be available for it. In other words, if you want a CoCo computer, you know you want a CoCo computer. If you want a great vintage computer to mess around with and don't have something in mind, it's not something you'd necessarily have in the top half of your list like you would one of the "no brainer" systems like a Commodore 64.

• Like 1

While it may not be a "no-brainer", I do recommend it as an interesting gaming experience. It feels much more similar to an Apple II than a C64, Atari 8-bit or even a TI-99/4A in terms of the way games look and play but it definitely has its own aesthetic. Personally, I can't program at all and my hardware skills do not go beyond following someone else's instructions but I still find the CoCo's to be very interesting machines.

While it may not be a "no-brainer", I do recommend it as an interesting gaming experience. It feels much more similar to an Apple II than a C64, Atari 8-bit or even a TI-99/4A in terms of the way games look and play but it definitely has its own aesthetic. Personally, I can't program at all and my hardware skills do not go beyond following someone else's instructions but I still find the CoCo's to be very interesting machines.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be the last person to discourage anyone from a platform, but each and every platform has its own barriers to entry and/or fullest enjoyment. In my opinion, the CoCo simply requires a bit more effort than some other platforms to get full enjoyment out of it. Certainly it has an excellent BASIC and a good community around it, among other positive attributes, but it also has very specific challenges, including deciding between the three main CPU options and how you're going to accessorize it. Again, if you know what you're getting into, it can be quite enjoyable. If not, I feel it would be a bit more on the frustrating side than some might like.

It feels much more similar to an Apple II than a C64, Atari 8-bit or even a TI-99/4A in terms of the way games look and play but it definitely has its own aesthetic.

The artifact colors in some games (and often the sounds as well) and analog joysticks do recall the Apple II a bit, and a lot of the earlier games with red-blue-green-yellow color scheme bring the Astrocade to mind, but I agree that the CoCo's definitely got its own personality.

As to whether I'd recommend it over a C64 or something, the C64 is probably a better value in the long run (more software and such), but otherwise, sure. A new collector or budding retro gamer probably just wants something to knock around with and play game cartridges, and the CoCo is great for that. An experienced person or more "serious" user is probably familiar with its idiosyncracies and is prepared to deal with them.