IGNORED

Is the Tandy Color Computer becoming more popular to collectors?

AtariLeaf

As to whether I'd recommend it over a C64 or something, the C64 is probably a better value in the long run (more software and such), but otherwise, sure. A new collector or budding retro gamer probably just wants something to knock around with and play game cartridges, and the CoCo is great for that. An experienced person or more "serious" user is probably familiar with its idiosyncracies and is prepared to deal with them.

Just to play devil's advocate for a moment, the issues for "new collector or budding retro gamer" is that most CoCo 1 and 2's lack composite output, so you're stuck with RF. The other issue is that joysticks are not necessarily plentiful or inexpensive. A CoCo 3 has composite output, but then you need an RGB monitor and correct cable (there's really only one source and they only support a few types of monitors) to make full use of the CoCo 3 mode.

Contrast that to the Commodore 64 (the example used earlier) and it's easy to get every type of cable to output to just about any type of display, as well as any joystick since it's on the original Atari standard. There are also of course many more and easier to use flash card/multicart options. Again, I wouldn't dissuade anyone who wanted one, but I'd certainly make them aware of some of the challenges they'll face.

• Like 1

Just to play devil's advocate for a moment, the issues for "new collector or budding retro gamer" is that most CoCo 1 and 2's lack composite output, so you're stuck with RF. The other issue is that joysticks are not necessarily plentiful or inexpensive. A CoCo 3 has composite output, but then you need an RGB monitor and correct cable (there's really only one source and they only support a few types of monitors) to make full use of the CoCo 3 mode.

Contrast that to the Commodore 64 (the example used earlier) and it's easy to get every type of cable to output to just about any type of display, as well as any joystick since it's on the original Atari standard. There are also of course many more and easier to use flash card/multicart options. Again, I wouldn't dissuade anyone who wanted one, but I'd certainly make them aware of some of the challenges they'll face.

The good news is that -- according to the shop that made mine -- a DIN to Atari joystick adapter is cheap and easy to make for the Color Computer.

The good news is that -- according to the shop that made mine -- a DIN to Atari joystick adapter is cheap and easy to make for the Color Computer.

With the one catch being some games work better with the real deal analog controller. It's similar to how you can use Atari-style joysticks on the Apple II. You can, but it's not good in all situations.

Just to play devil's advocate for a moment, the issues for "new collector or budding retro gamer" is that most CoCo 1 and 2's lack composite output, so you're stuck with RF.

Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I'd imagine a n00b that's really interested in retro systems would have at least a cursory awareness of some of the more dated features of systems like these (such as RF out), and a willingness to work with them.

I should clarify my earlier post, though. I didn't mean to say I'd recommend the CoCo over the C64 if someone asked me which one to get (which, rereading it, is what I wrote :dunce:), but more that I wouldn't tell them to pass on a CoCo if they were curious about it. Yeah, there are some things to know about it before jumping in, but it's a worthy computer.

I think the real issue with the joysticks is that not all games support the keyboard. :P

• Like 1

• 1 month later...