IGNORED

What did you buy today?.........

evilevoix

I picked up a couple EverDrives from Krikzz's Black Friday sale!  I had been wanting to replace my Mega SD with a Mega EverDrive Pro for awhile now, and I already have an EverDrive GB X7 but wanted a second Game Boy EverDrive for trading Pokémon to complete my Pokémon Yellow pokédex (since there's a few pokémon that only evolve by trading) and transferring my pokémon from Yellow to Crystal. :)

714424402_Screenshot_20211123-0515292.thumb.jpg.8a512606b8b2a5ec5d372415488daa3d.jpg

Edited by Skippy B. Coyote
  • Like 5

22 hours ago, Skippy B. Coyote said:

I picked up a couple EverDrives from Krikzz's Black Friday sale!

I usually do that, but I've got just about all of the ones I need by now.

I still need to get a Harmony and probably something for the Apple II, but they never do Black Friday sales, and I don't have a job anymore.

• Like 1

One more Black Friday pickup for me this year! I've been wanting to play the remake of my all time favorite Zelda game Link's Awakening since it came out two years ago, but I wasn't down to pay $60 for a remake of a game I've played through probably a dozen times over the years. Luckily it went on sale for $40 at Target and other retailers today, so I picked myself up a copy and have been playing it all afternoon and evening and I'm really enjoying it so far!

The art style is beautiful and I love how much more open and cohesive the game world feels now! The small new additions, like the statues to collect and how the crane game is more challenging and has new items to get are really cool. The fishing mini game was always one of my favorite parts of the original so I'm really enjoying the new additions to that as well. There's definitely a good bit of new content for longtime Link's Awakening fans to enjoy, and so far this definitely feels like the definitive version of the game :)

673725482_20211126135945_IMG_38152.thumb.JPG.d899b60e5f845e55c1b0f5855cd3777a.JPG

• Like 4

So 2 days before Thanksgiving,  I get a message on my answering machine that says I won Publisher's Clearing House, which would be great if I'd entered!  (Fucking Scammers,   I wish there was a way to get a hold of them and sue them for what they're claiming).  Of course I'd never enter that crapfest, because I tried Once (ONCE!),  and it was even worse online than it ever was in the mail, talk about jumping though some hoops...I don't believe there was a way to just enter the contest, not without buying something...

But also some Good News!  I noticed a box at my doorstep as I headed out for work,  from Team Pixelboy no less!   Yay!!

20211127_142935.thumb.jpg.228459624daa3b5a49ad9ee4495c814d.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/26/2021 at 9:03 PM, Skippy B. Coyote said:

...I wasn't down to pay $60 for a remake of a game I've played through probably a dozen times over the years.

Ditto here. I'm hoping they'll do something like the Players' Choice line for Switch.

Edited by Asaki

On 11/26/2021 at 9:12 PM, Draxxon said:

Black Friday deal at Menards, $40 bucks. Sale runs until Dec 5th.

WIN_20211126_14_56_26_Pro.jpg

Right There!   That makes Menard's More of a Video Game Store than GameStop!  I so remember a few years back when they refused to carry anything but the Composite out Flashback!  I gave them the chance, ...but they wouldn't carry the HD model, Didn't even know about the Activision model, didn't have anything with paddles,  and it'd be  a cold day in hell before they'd offer to look into it or special order it for you...I'm so glad they're gone!   Wait!  Are they gone?  I haven't been back for good reason...

• Haha 1

Gamestop sucks. I used to work there. they open all the new games and gut them, and file the innards, and then want people to come in and buy them as new. And 1 million other bone-headed things. One of the worst places I have ever worked. I stopped spending money and going there way before it was trendy.

I got the AFBX at Menards earlier this year for $35. You know, you save money, you save big money, when you shop Menards.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Went to Akiba today, which means it's time for more Sega stuff.

The first thing is a last thing and another thing: Karous and SGGG. Karous is the last Dreamcast game, and it was released in 2007. SGGG is the famous Sega simulation that blends a bunch of genres together. It was heavily inspired by traditional turn-based RPGs and Thunder Force, which are not things that you'd typically think of combining, but that's exactly what happened. The final part of the game is a blatant Thunder Force rip-off shooting sequence with what is basically an arranged version of Metal Squad from Thunder Force IV done by the same composer and perhaps the saddest final boss sequence in video game history.

Pic_1129_833.thumb.jpg.73598aba2d0dec1591a0277497a0ffe6.jpg

Dramatic Dungeon Sakura Taisen ~Kimi Aru ga Tame~

Released in 2008, this was the final Sakura Taisen game until 2019 and it's a dungeon RPG with no mechs at all, which is weird in itself for this series. I don't think this game is directly responsible for the series' death for 11 years, but I'm pretty sure it was part of the reason. I've seen people say it's actually pretty good and I've seen people say it's complete trash. I will find out myself shortly.

Pic_1129_834.thumb.jpg.b9a1d67d7c16be82b2b92f750a6ee0af.jpg

Finally, here's a rare Dreamcast, the Sakura Taisen Dreamcast for Internet, one of the final models produced. This one was purchased by its original owner on April 3rd, 2001, after the death of the Dreamcast, in Chiba, but the label is torn right over the place where the store's name is, so I can't really read the store's name. No MIL CDs or MODE ODE, as this is a VA2 and is not compatible with those.

Pic_1129_835.thumb.jpg.200beacf462b40084d3858e177d0d68a.jpg

Pic_1129_840.thumb.jpg.b96a5a8f86aa859887afd6a451234815.jpg

Inside you get a Sakura Taisen Dream Passport, Sakura Taisen Kinematron Hanagumi Mail (both of which are now more or less completely useless), and a Sakura Taisen Visual Memory. Underneath Sakura Taisen Kinematron Hanagumi Mail is a Sakura Taisen 3 movie disc that I totally forgot about, but it's probably just an ad for the then-recently released Sakura Taisen 3.

Pic_1129_837.thumb.jpg.e3d69f94e0f9b259a6063c49c745f42d.jpg

Further inside, you get a sakura pink Dreamcast with the Sakura Taisen 2 cast. Most of the ones you will see are quite yellowed, but mine is basically factory perfect.

Pic_1129_838.thumb.jpg.8ef040dca2d1ff1f37ac2e09d3078fa2.jpg

Finally, a sakura pink Dreamcast controller. Mine is unfortunately slightly yellowed on the grips, but you buy what you can find and these are definitely not easy to find.

Pic_1129_839.thumb.jpg.139675e544a4331d42a2de9a8f17ac89.jpg

Before anyone asks, yes, there is a matching Sakura Taisen Purupuru Pack that I do not have, but it's in one of the limited edition Dreamcast versions of one of the first 2 games. Pretty sure it's the first game. The Dreamcast LE for Sakura Taisen 2 comes with a different pink Visual Memory. There's also a pink Sakura Taisen Dreamcast keyboard, but I forget how to get that one. I think it came with the non-pack-in standalone version of Sakura Taisen Kinematron Hanagumi Mail or something like that, but I don't have that keyboard either.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

The final part of the game is a blatant Thunder Force rip-off shooting sequence with what is basically an arranged version of Metal Squad from Thunder Force IV done by the same composer

Do you happen to know what the name of the song is? Metal Squad is probably my favorite 16-bit tune of all time and I'd love to hear the arranged version, but the SGGG soundtrack is enormous and I haven't had much luck figuring out which song it is :lol:

Just now, Skippy B. Coyote said:

Do you happen to know what the name of the song is? Metal Squad is probably my favorite 16-bit tune of all time and I'd love to hear the arranged version, but the SGGG soundtrack is enormous and I haven't had much luck figuring out which song it is :lol:

Steel Squad