IGNORED

Does anyone have a 5 pack of Atari CX8100 Formatted Diskettes?

tschak909

I haven't looked recently, but B&C used to sell these along with the Atari sleeves (IIRC).

SUG052   DISKS 10 5.25 ATARI 810 FORMAT 15.00 FROM ATARI 

I suspect this is the item you are asking about. Marginal quality, but yes, a nice item to have in a collection.

-Larry

Man, I just love the boxes from those early years. Big, bold, beautiful. The artwork only is worth having it. The late 70s and early 80s, J.R. Ewing, Dallas, Disco, KISS, Atari, it was all there...we didn't know how good we had it. I need President Ronald "RayGun" now!

Yep, the early stuff was a thing of beauty, that was my era and some of the best times were had then...I still look at my Atari 800 and say to myself "that's how a computer should look"

• Like 1

Man, I just love the boxes from those early years. Big, bold, beautiful. The artwork only is worth having it. The late 70s and early 80s, J.R. Ewing, Dallas, Disco, KISS, Atari, it was all there...we didn't know how good we had it. I need President Ronald "RayGun" now!

I recently picked up Maze Craze for the 2600 just because it has such amazing cover art. Desktop publishing made traditional illustration economically obsolete, but to me there is simply no comparison. The traditional stuff wins; hands down. It was such an important part of the experience back then. It turned big, blocky graphics and primitive "beeps" and "boops" into imaginary worlds. I sift through my collection with my nephew, who has a Bachelor's in Fine Art, and marvel at the goodness.

• Like 1

It turned big, blocky graphics and primitive "beeps" and "boops" into imaginary worlds. I sift through my collection with my nephew, who has a Bachelor's in Fine Art, and marvel at the goodness.

Yes indeed, I remember some of the Apple shooters had stunning artwork on the boxes and yes, they gave that simple little game a world of its own for you to explore..

You have got to be kidding! Someone has been sniffing around the forum to get selling ideas! Just posted in the last 24 hours.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATARI-CX8100-BOX-SEALED-5-DISKETTES-DISKS-for-810-Drive-XL-XE-XEGS-400-800-8-bit-/171657164717?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f79077ad

They sold for $10-15 last time!

I remember my setup back then as I had Two Happy 1050's with Controllers and 4 8" drives in a built in box hooked to my Atr8000

Made for a nice setup to run my BBS as I also had 2 hard drives one 30meg and one 20meg running the Oasis BBS.

This all booted from a 130xe hooked to a 1meg MIO.

I still have most of the stuff except for the 2 happy drives. Would like to setup the BBS again when I can find the time but that is just it finding the time

in this fast world of ours. I enjoy reading these blogs and hope to add some in the future.

• 2 years later...

Did these come preformatted? If so I'd be curious about the sector skew used. (Ie archiver screenshot)

Just saw one of these pop up on ebay: https://ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Atari-810-DISKETTES-5-PACK-SUPER-RARE-ORIGINAL-SEALED-RETAIL-PACK-1979/112585500787

Yes, they came formatted. Sliding a disk into an old full-height drive was such a treat.

• Like 1

I would make a crude comment, that sliding a disk into a half height drive was also a treat. But it may be interpreted incorrectly. :grin:

LOL. The 810, though, made you feel like you were accomplishing something every time it whirred to life and sounded like it was eating the disk.