IGNORED

Toki Prototype For 7800 Discovered!

Willard

Toki proto needs do want.

Question regarding conversion of PAL Prototype to NTSC: Is the screen display taller than NTSC? This would necessitate shrinking or cropping the graphics vertically to fit. Many PAL systems had the same number of lines as NTSC but just letterboxed the frame. Other game systems were capable of displaying for instance 288 lines but some games ported from Japan or US only utilized 240/224 of said lines while others were reformatted to occupy full PAL frame.

Does PAL Toki use more than 240/224 lines? If so, that would be a problem for conversion.

My mom's NTSC CRT can sync to 50 Hz without rolling but crops off the bottom edge of the screen when presented an NTSC50 signal. PAL Atari 2600 games also display wrong colors obviously. I can also for instance play PAL N64 games on my NTSC Everdrive but the reduced flicker rate hurts my eyes.

Question regarding conversion of PAL Prototype to NTSC: Is the screen display taller than NTSC? This would necessitate shrinking or cropping the graphics vertically to fit. Many PAL systems had the same number of lines as NTSC but just letterboxed the frame. Other game systems were capable of displaying for instance 288 lines but some games ported from Japan or US only utilized 240/224 of said lines while others were reformatted to occupy full PAL frame.

Does PAL Toki use more than 240/224 lines?

No, just 208 lines for graphics and status / score.

• Like 1

Fingers crossed the disks are still readable... ;-)

I'm also hoping Glenn the 5200 Man actually produces the ST discs of unreleased 7800 games he claimed he had in his recent interview on the Antic Podcast. But he hasn't gotten back to the Antic folks and he didn't divulge what titles he had in his possession. I'm hoping he has Electrocop. Or Paperboy. Or some others we aren't even aware of.

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-90-glenn-the-5200-man

• Like 2

Does PAL Toki use more than 240/224 lines? If so, that would be a problem for conversion.

The visible lines are only half the battle. Because a PAL frame is longer in duration, it has more CPU time per frame. (while the extra 50 lines of nothing are being drawn)

If that extra time is utilized by things that need to happen every frame (DL updates, scrolling) it can make a PAL to NTSC conversion very difficult.

Much easier to start with NTSC and convert to PAL.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...