IGNORED

Toki Prototype For 7800 Discovered!

Willard

@108 Stars:Not a problem quoting RG, i started to look through my remaining issues of RG Magazine last night as i knew i'd seen a feature on Lost CPC games back along, then thought chances are i've either given the magazine that had the feature in it, away for free, stored the damn somewhere for sorting through for next big clear out, or..it's already gone to be recycled.

So you've saved me a job. :-)
  • Like 1

No, I found your comparison charts and images very useful! Good point on getting a lot from a little, although the consumer wouldn't have cared back then. You wonder now how many more titles were being worked on for the 7800, and have vanished into the ether?

Ha ha. I'd have to consider the ZX Speccy a video game console first! Putrid!

I wouldn't consider the Speccy a computer either.

Very cool. Looks like a decent port, though it's too bad that the waterfall is missing from the background in those comparison shots; otherwise good for the system though, sure. It's always fantastic to see stuff like this appear!

The Digital Press Collector's Guide I have actually explains why Toki has a 1993 date. Atari had Internal Documents in May of 1993 concerning Atari 7800 game development according to Digital Press Collector's guide. According to an internal document dated 5/12/93 claimed Atari Management decided to stop 7800 development at this time.

Toki was one of 5 Atari 7800 games that still was in development in 1993 or was on 1 out 2 May 1993 internal Documents for the Atari 7800. The other 4 are Pit Fighter, Rampart, Road Riot 4WD and Steel Talons.

Digital Press claimed there according to an Internal Document dated 5/14/93 Toki was very close to being finalized. The Guide also mentioned Atari's total cost for this game was 9,000 lbs.

The 5/14/93 date mentioned for Toki is one of importance. The internal document on that date also mentioned Pit Fighter, Rampart, and Road Riot 4WD based on the Digital Press Collector's Guide I have. Pit Fighter on that Document date was in very early development when the developer agreed to cancel Pit Fighter.

Rampart was very close to being finalized and Atari got away with paying $50,000 of $60,000 when the developer agreed to cancel the project without payment of the outstanding balance. Road Riot 4WD was ready to be released on the Internal Document dated 5/14/93.

Steel Talons was mentioned on an Internal Atari document 5/12/93 states that: "Atari management has made the decision to stop 7800 development at this time." The document goes on to explain that Steel Talons is virtually complete. The total cost paid to produce, not release was 25,000 lbs.

Very interesting... but why in the world were they still working on Atari 7800 game development over 2 1/4 years after releasing their last game for the system (Sentinel, in early 1991) and effectively discontinuing it? That makes no sense... but this is Atari, so I'll believe it anyway. :P

Were Plutos and Sirius in development after the early '91 death of the system too?

But really, the one question I have with the 1993 games thing is, if Atari was working on games in early '93, what about games from '91 (after Sentinel early in the year) and '92? Were there no games in development then? Were the '93 games long-delayed? That seems unlikely. It's quite strange.

With the Master System, the reason was simply that the system was popular in Europe. You could get it in every store here up until the release of the Saturn in fact. And Brazil had it going strong till 1998 I believe. Question is: Where would the 7800 be popular enough by 1993? I always believed the USA were the 7800's strongest market; arguably outselling the SMS there (eventhough Sega officials don't even mention the 7800, but give % numbers for NA with just NES and SMS). In Germany, it was almost non existant, and I doubt it played a very large role in the rest of Europe.

Was there any popular late market for the 7800?

Or maybe it was indeed some late developments due to contratual obligations...

Anyway, it does look damn fine for a 7800 game, and well worth such low dev costs.

The SMS sold about 2 million in North America going by the best-known estimates, while the 7800 sold 3.8 million or so. Atari sold almost twice what Sega did, it wasn't close.

As for Europe, I have to imagine that it was selling there somewhere, considering that Europe got a game release in early '91 while the US didn't, and also only Europe got the gamepad-style controller. But consider, even had the 7800 sold as well in Europe as it did in the US, it'd still have sold far below the ~6.8 million that the Master System did there, and sure, it likely didn't sell as well as that.

Quick question concerning the 'as of yet unannounced title". Unannounced that it ever existed? Unknown to the community? Announced as a coming soon title back in the day and never seen the day of light? And what system was it unannounced for? Lynx, 7800 etc.

That you should at least be able to speak about as of this point... It won't give anything away...

Edited by 4ever2600

This looks awesome. I just checked the front page AtariAge and was like, "Yes, please!" :D

I had fun playing the Lynx version back in the day. The Lynx was a hand me down and I only had 4 games for it: Ninja Gaidan, PacLand, Toki, and Qix. Sadly, Toy-R-Us stopped selling Lynx games sometime in 1994, so I got stuck with what I had. I later picked up toki for the NES, and Genesis. I was a little disappointed that Toki on the Genny did not match up to the Arcade style the NES and Lynx version did, and the Lynx looked 100x better even if the sprites were tiny.

Either way, this is an even better steal than the would-have-been Paperboy. I would love to have this on my 7800 if ever anybody releases an NTSC version or dual mode ROM.

Quick question: someone said the last level was missing. Does the game still have the end credits if you beat the second-to-last stage, or does the game just freeze/stop? Curious. even if not beatable, I would love to have this. I only ever got to halfway the third level in Toki Lynx.

Very interesting... but why in the world were they still working on Atari 7800 game development over 2 1/4 years after releasing their last game for the system (Sentinel, in early 1991) and effectively discontinuing it? That makes no sense... but this is Atari, so I'll believe it anyway. :P

Were Plutos and Sirius in development after the early '91 death of the system too?

But really, the one question I have with the 1993 games thing is, if Atari was working on games in early '93, what about games from '91 (after Sentinel early in the year) and '92? Were there no games in development then? Were the '93 games long-delayed? That seems unlikely. It's quite strange.

Plutos and Sirus wasn't in development after the early 1991 development death of the system based on what was found and wasn't mentioned in any 1993 memos from the DP guide. All is known about the two games is they appears to be completed, but lacks an ending. It could point to more work needed to be done, it seem that would be little work based on that info on Atari Protos. Atari Protos website does have them mentioned as 1990 Prototype games.

There was games being worked in in 1991 and 1992 for the Atari 7800 besides Toki. I do know Road Riot 4WD and Steel Talons was released in the arcade was in 1991. I'm guessing the games were started after Sentinel since the May 1993 memos mentioned them for the Atari 7800. There hasn't been a prototype found for either game yet for the Atari 7800. The thing about Road riot 4wd is a prototype of the game exists for the Lynx and I am assuming the 7800 version had to be worked on at the same time as the Lynx version.

There is prototypes of 3 games besides Toki that show Atari 7800 development was happening 1991 and 1992. Klax has a 1992 prototype despite it being a 1989 arcade game. The prototype in 1992 was almost done.

The Prototype of Pit Fighter mentioned on Atari Protos for the Atari 7800 is from 1992 and I do the arcade game came out in 1990. Why Atari wanted to do Pit Fighter for the Atari 7800 is something I can't figure out despite me enjoying the arcade and the the Genesis version of Pit Fighter. I am guessing Pit Fighter got started after sentinel based it only having one screen with being a 1992 prototype and the memo from 1993 claimed Pit Fighter was early in development.

Rampart has a 1991 prototype, but there is a version out there not found that is supposed to be further around. I do know Rampart was released in the arcades in 1990. Rampart was mentioned in a 1993 memo that also had Toki, Pit Fighter, Klax, and Road Riot 4WD on according to the Digital Press Collector's guide I have. The 1993 memo mentioned rampart was close to completion.

I think some of the games I mentioned were long delayed.

I think the market Atari was looking at was the UK and Europe with those long waited games. I going by the fact Digital Press collectors guide mentioned some games developed by Atari UK, but I am guessing those were before 1991 or 1992 unlike the games I mentioned before on 1993 memos.

The games I am referring to is Prince, Hell Raider, Star Breaker, UFO, Xenon, Capone, Nine Lives, Breakneck, Badlands Pete, Fantasy fight, Brute, Bounce Back, and Black Lamp. Some of those games were Atari St games or 8 bit computer line games. Those games games I mentioned wasn't on any 1993 memos in terms of what Digital Press mentioned in their Collectors guide.

Edited by 8th lutz
  • Like 1

Sorry if this was answered before. What kind of computer did they use for developing the 7800 software?

I am guessing Atari St for Toki. Digital Press Collectors guide mentioned there is a development board for the Atari 7800 with 20 or 30 of those boards around. Those development boards allowed the programmer to program the game on the Atari St, than to download and debug the software on the Atari 7800.

• Like 1

I am guessing Atari St for Toki. Digital Press Collectors guide mentioned there is a development board for the Atari 7800 with 20 or 30 of those boards around. Those development boards allowed the programmer to program the game on the Atari St, than to download and debug the software on the Atari 7800.

Goodness, I imagine how awful it must have felt having to punch in any program of that length on such an awful feeling keyboard. With that said, the more I see these screenshots, the more impressed I am that they're running on a 7800. Looks good!

Gameplay video please.

I can't do that, I don't have a PAL monitor or system. I don't do emulators.

I could record it running on NTSC hardware, with the glitches, but I am not all that interested in spending time on it.

7800 development system was mentioned in that Zero Chronicles Of Cute Preview i had put up here:

As for Nine Lives:Mentioned this before, but Raze (UK Magazine) claimed Atari were considering converting it to the Lynx, yet when i spoke to (interviewed in fact :-) ), Simon Butler who worked on the ST/Amiga versions of the game, he was'nt aware of any planned conversions.I quoted him on the forum somewhere, but not had any coffee yet so heads not really in the world enough to even try and search for it.

Grumfff, Hmmnnn...found Simons response to prospect of Nine Lives being converted to console:

'9 Lives was an attempt at creating a character-driven platformer but it all got horribly out of hand, mainly due to the terrible scroll on the Atari ST and me not sticking to any kind of sizing regime for the sprites.

They were either too big, or not big enough...it was fun, but not successful in any sense of the word.

What versions were due after the creation of the two 16 bit titles is beyond me, it certainly wouldn’t have worked on the Lynx. It didn’t work on either the ST or the Amiga. '